Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1429 Talkback: Convention Survival Guide Re-Revisted

A listener e-mail asking for advice on going to his first comic convention spurred us into action to again revisit our convention survival guide. The shopping, panels, autographs, and more are discussed as we get ready for the New York Comic Con. (56:23)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    This guide had a lot of useful info. I'm curious what you guys think about "preview" days at cons. I was looking at the DC Awesome Con next April and it the preview day is only $10 more than the two day pass. What are the preview days like? I assume it is just for shopping and that none of the talent are there (for autographs and such). Have any of you ever gone to a con preview day? If so, how was it? Would you recommend going?
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I always wondered where they pile up all the bodies of those who don't survive...
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    edited November 2013
    While I don't know yet if I will go to any cons next year, I found you guys talking about the survival tips helpful and full of reminders. In fact, I was reminded that I needed to plan better for Fan Expo earlier this year. I had wanted to attend the Sulu/Uhura panel, but realized too late that I didn't know what time it was nor where it was! As a result, I got there too late and missed it altogether. Another thing is that I'm still shy to talk to creators, but I am much less shy about it that I was when I first met the CGS guys (I think it was Bryan, Pants, Murd and later Peter) at Emerald City...maybe back in 2009? The 1st day, I just walked around, too shy and nervous to talk to anyone! I had actually walked by two groups of people I had wanted to meet, Terry/Robyn Moore of Strangers In Paradise/Echo/Rachel Rising and Adriana/Kristen of the Super Future Friends. As a result, I didn't get to talk to them at all (but later I did talk a little to Robyn, Terry's wife). On the second day, I finally forced myself to talk to the CGS guys and after that I kind of overcame my shyness. At least for THAT show. So, thanks for the tips and as always I hope to do better and have a better time at my next con!