Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Marvel Bullpen signatures

Can anyone recognize or decipher the signatures at the bottom of this page signed in the Marvel offices in 1978?

We've identified the three at the top of the page and Joe Albelo at the bottom but the other two are unknown?

Comments

• CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
  • The two at the bottom of the Bullpen Page are Andy Yanchus and (I think) Morrie Kuramoto. I've no idea who signed the Spider-Man page.
    Brilliant! Thanks
    any ideas on the top one here?
  • Well, that's Ron Wilson on the bottom of the page, but I can't decipher that top signature. The last name looks like it could be 'Andru', making me think of Ross Andru, but the first name doesn't look remotely like 'Ross' at all, so I doubt it.

It might help if we had some idea where these were signed. The first few looked like they were signed by production people from the Marvel Bullpen, rather than the 'stars' -- the writers or artists -- that folks usually get to sign their books at conventions. If so, these could probably be checked against a list of past production workers to see if anything clicks.
    Marvel's Madison Avenue offices in New York 1978
  • Sounds like the bullpen, then.

Hmm. Given that Ron Wilson signed the bottom, and that first name at the top looks like it might be 'Billy', I wonder if it could be Billy Graham, who was the inker and, later, artist on Luke Cage? I don't recall if he was still on the book by '78, but he might have dropped by the offices when this copy was being signed.

Sorry, that signature is such a scrawl, it's hard to accurately read anything out of it.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Caliban said:

any ideas on the top one here?

The best I can make out, it says Richard Aisdyl or something along those lines. Now, I know most of the names of the production staff of the ’70s—Yanchus and Kuramoto are correct, by the way—and I even referred to the Marvel wiki page, but I can’t make any name I know or found work out to fit this signature. The last name most likely starts with “A”, though it could be an “O” or possibly a “D”. The first name probably starts with “R”, but it could be an “F” or maybe even a “P” or “T”. Either way, nothing fits. (And it’s definitely not Billy Graham—I’ve seen his signature.) Maybe this guy was an intern, or maybe he was only there for a very brief period of time.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Just want to take a second to say how cool it is to see someone come with a question and get a lot of knowledge brought to bear. I love threads like that.