Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Comics With or Without Pulp Talkback: Episode 8 -The Green Hornet

Episode 8: 'Feel the Sting of Green'. Coinciding with the last episode on the Lone Ranger, we talk about Britt Reid's alter ego. Also, the importance of his partner, Kato. Guest co-host Nick Quan & creator Ande Parks join the fun. (2:44:20)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Green Hornet, Green Mask, Green Lama, Green Lantern, Green Ghost, Green Giant (not the Ho, ho, ho), Green Arrow, Green Knight, Green Turtle, Green Fury/Flame (later to become Fire of the Bwa Ha Ha JLA), Green Falcon, Green Mist (which I believe is another name for Amazing Man).
  • Options
    So, I decided to watch the Seth Rogen Green Hornet. I was OK with it up until Kato went all Terminator/Sherlock Holmes on street thugs. Not sure if I want to continue.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    There's a good documentary on the Theremin and it's namesake inventor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAOpVAHwLic
  • Options
    Very informative guys! The Green Hornet tv show aired this summer on MeTV on Saturday mornings. I was always a bit disappointed with these epsiodes as Bruce Lee gets to do rather little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13IuxNixyig
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I’ve only made it halfway through so far, but I wanted to comment on the sidekick versus partner conversation. In their original incarnations—the radio shows—while Kato and Tonto were treated with respect by their respective heroes, Nick has it right: They were really only there so the hero could have someone to talk to in order to explain their plans. They played a definite secondary role, and the white man was fully in charge.

Personally, I think that is the main reason why they were portrayed as Japanese-Filipino and Native American and not white themselves—and why The Shadow’s sidekick was a woman for that matter. It helped give the impression that the white male hero was in charge and making things happen. These shows were targeted to young white males who at the time didn’t think Asians or Native Americans or women should or could be heroes.

Anyway, it was nice to hear that deeper level of culture explored a bit. I’m sure you’ll get even deeper into it with the Fu Manchu episode.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    There are a couple of good documentaries covering both Asian and Native American stereotypes on film:

Reel Injun
    The Slanted Screen (Covers Asian male stereotypes only)
    Hollywood Chinese

All have been on PBS and are worth checking out. Both Asian docs include Fu Manchu discussion.
  • Options
    I've liked this fan film for quite a while
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rjm53J1G4M
  • Options
    NoamNoam Posts: 2
    I know it was just a side comment, but I wanted to add something regarding the Nylons thing (yes, a major nitpicking, I know).
    Assuming that the point of time in question is early to mid 40s (so WWII is in full swing), than the thing to remember is that (almost) all of the industry was used to war purposes (such as parachutes). So things like pantyhoses were really hard to come by.
    Also, not only they were not considered in the same classification as an undergarment - it is quite the opposite (since it was "inappropriate" for women to show bare legs). If anything, the modern comparison should be tights.

But the bit about the green hornet was nice too. ;)
  • Options
    Good job on the episode. Liked the coverage of the NOW comics run. That was my first exposure to the character. I was surprised there wasn't more coverage of the Dynamite books. Especially the current Mark Waid series. Which by the way is really good. I know alot of the GH Dynamite has put out is hit and miss. But this series is worth checking out.

For those GH fans out there. Check out this Green Hornet podcast. It's weekely and covers all things Green Hornet. I'm not connected to the show. Just a fan spreading the word.

http://hornetsnest.podbean.com/
  • Options
    I think the ethnic choices for the partners were done, as Matt and guest said, to make them unique. If you compare them with their contemporaries, most Westerns of the day (Hop Along Cassidy, the Cisco Kid, Gunsmoke, et. al) had Mexican or Caucasian sidekicks, and all of the detectives/pulp characters (Nick Carter, the Shadow, the Green Lama, Richard Diamond, etc.) had girl Fridays.

I hope in the Fu Manchu episode, Matt delves into the pulp/literature theme of the early 20th century of the 'yellow menace'. On my blog (shameless plug: www.spinnerrack.blogspot.com), I've been doing a by-published date read-through of comics starting with the DC Comics of the mid-30's. I'm up to late 1938 and almost a 4th of what is being published in Detective, More Fun, and New Adventure is some variation on the theme: The Golden Dragon, Sgt. Carey of the Chinatown Squad, the first Bruce Nelson serial, etc.
  • Options
    Another great episode. I really enjoy these, Matt. Thanks for putting them out.

chris
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    @Matt - love your show. Thanks.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Thanks to Nick & Ande Parks for their time & input. Also, thanks for all the feedback. The Fu Manchu info will be helpful for my next episode.

M
  • Options
    Matt, another great episode. I would love to hear more discussion of the current pulp/pulp influenced books coming out right now. If you haven't read Five GhostsBy Frank Barbiere and Chris Mooneyham, it is really fun and interesting.
  • Options

Good job on the episode. Liked the coverage of the NOW comics run. That was my first exposure to the character. I was surprised there wasn't more coverage of the Dynamite books. Especially the current Mark Waid series. Which by the way is really good. I know alot of the GH Dynamite has put out is hit and miss. But this series is worth checking out.

For those GH fans out there. Check out this Green Hornet podcast. It's weekely and covers all things Green Hornet. I'm not connected to the show. Just a fan spreading the word.

http://hornetsnest.podbean.com/

You're right, we probably should've talked a little more about the Dynamite issues. I've only been reading the Waid issues...but I have to admit by issue 6 I was hoping for a little more. I'm not a big Kevin Smith fan. He's only done 1 or 2 comics I have really enjoyed. I think he tries to reinvent the wheel all the time, but it never really seems to pan out. Having said that, I didn't touch his GH run.

M
  • Options

Matt, another great episode. I would love to hear more discussion of the current pulp/pulp influenced books coming out right now. If you haven't read Five GhostsBy Frank Barbiere and Chris Mooneyham, it is really fun and interesting.

Thanks & welcome aboard the forums. I'll have to look into your suggestion of Five Ghosts.

Are you referencing characters, current pulp comics, or current pulp novels being influenced? If its the novels, I'm working on getting something different (& special) for my next on Fu Manchu. It's still in the early stages, but hopefully it pans out.

M
  • Options
    A quick aside. I saw Disney's Lone Ranger.

Its OK, but its not the Lone Ranger. The 2 leads are miscast and the action is far to cartoony.
    Disney should have kept it simple and done an old west version of the cop "buddy" movie. I liked the idea of Tonto telling the story.