Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Comments

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    The old saying is everyone who heard the Velvet Underground went out and started a band. While that didn't happen for me, it did happen the first time I heard Cheap Trick, and I'm willing to lay money down that THEY got started by hearing the Velvets.

I can't say I was ever a die-hard Lou Reed fan, but he had plenty of songs I will always enjoy listening to. RIP, Lou.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    He was never mediocre. RIP
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    I always preferred his later work myself, New York was the first album of his I bought and remains one of my favourites. Other faves include Magic and Loss, Songs for Drella, and Ecstasy. A wonderfully incisive songwriter, He will be missed.
  • Options
    I'm afraid Reed was pretty much a blip and a cipher to me. I remember he had the one pop hit, and then he pretty much vanished from my music radar after that. My listening was a bit more mainstream. I'm surprised to be hearing now that he was so influential to so many musicians.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

I'm afraid Reed was pretty much a blip and a cipher to me. I remember he had the one pop hit, and then he pretty much vanished from my music radar after that. My listening was a bit more mainstream. I'm surprised to be hearing now that he was so influential to so many musicians.

That’s part of the joke. “Only a hundred people bought the Velvet Underground’s first album, but every one of them went out and formed a band.” I can’t say he’s the reason I joined my first band, but I did pay attention to his work.

I saw him concert back in ’87 on a ticket with Big Audio Dynamite II, The Pretenders, and U2. One of the best concerts I ever attended.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    An interesting article on just how many copies the first Velvet Underground record actually sold, complete with Brian Eno’s famous quote.