Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Favourite Comics

Hey guys! I'm new.
Just looking to see some of people's favourite comics and discuss.
My personal favourites are the ditko and stan lee amazing spidermans, a bit of fantastic four and honestly lately I've been having an obsession with the Kickass series. Great graphics and story line, love it.

Comments

• Options
    Welcome, @thecomicgeek!

Current favorites:

SAGA - great science fiction world-building, beautiful art, and a well-written story each issue that is satisfying and always ends on a note that has me anxious for the next issue.

PROPHET - Another great science fiction comic from Image, but one that takes a different approach. This one feels more "organic," for lack of a better term with a cadre of artists whose styles mesh well. This is my favorite book, right now.

MIND MGMT - Matt Kindt's art is distinct, and I could understand someone not caring for its less than traditional style, but I have loved everything Kindt has done, and this is no different. Another, very different, science fiction story that is doing something that feels very different from anything else out there - or anything else I've read. Love this book.

Classic favorites:

Vietnam Journal - a realistic approach to telling the stories from the Vietnam war, from an actual Vietnam veteran. The stark black and white art adds so much to the stories Don Lomax tells in this series. And in recent years he returned to this series, which was canceled in the 90s when Apple Comics went out of business, and the collected editions of these new stories should be arriving at my house soon. Can't wait to give this a proper re-read.

Sandman - my favorite comic series of all-time. Neil Gaiman and a series of fantastic artists created something special, in my opinion, with this. A 76-issue + story about stories and myth and fantasy and relationships and evolution of character that amazes me every time I read it. Love this book!

Love & Rockets - This would be a close second to Sandman, as far as my all-time favorites, and Los Bros Hernandez are still going strong with their 30-year series. A simple premise, on its face, this book has Gilbert & Jaime Hernandez, with occasional work from older brother Mario, crafting stories about people, their relationships, and the real-world (with some magical realism interspersed in Gilbert's works) experiences they encounter. It is an amazing book that looks simple, but is infused with as much heart and pathos as almost anything else you will have read. With beautiful cartooning from all of the Hernandez brothers, this book is deserving of all the accolades it has received through the years.

And there are many others. But those are the first that come to mind.

chris
  • Options
    I should check some of these out. I like the science fiction ones and need some new stuff to read. Probably check out SAGA. heard about it before, also heard that the graphics are great
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited October 2013
    Saga (space opera comic done right) & Fatale (horror element w/ a supense in every issue) are great reads for mature readers. Waid's Daredevil is a highly recommended title by forum members on the CGS board myself included. As for DC, Synder's Batman & American Vampire is a favorite choices. From Vertigo, there is something for everyone my favorite is Fables & its spinoff Fairest in the fantasy realm done well (there are CGS BOMC episodes on the series). For other indies (not named Image), Locke & Key has a great mystery w/ stunning art to match. Try out the first volumes of each see what grabs you.

Matthew

PS
    If you like the art on Saga try Y the Last Man from Vertigo it has the same writing/art team.
  • Options
    Anyone have any recommendations for horror/violent and action packed comics?
  • Options
    mguy1977 said:

If you like the art on Saga try Y the Last Man from Vertigo it has the same writing/art team.

Well, not entirely. They're both written by Brian K Vaughn, who also wrote one of my favorite GNs, The Pride Of Baghdad -- but Saga is drawn by Fiona Staples, and Y, The Last Man was drawn, if I remember correctly, by Pia Guerra.

I recently read the first issues to both series, courtesy of free samples supplied by Comixology -- Saga didn't really appeal to me, though Y was intriguing enough for me to put on my list of books-to-catch-up-on-later.

• Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Sorry about that mistake.

Matthew
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    BK Vaughn is the king of amazing plots and compelling storytelling. You will enjoy the journey on pretty much any trip he takes you on. He attracts amazing artists to work on his book, he'll give you characters you'll remember the rest of your days, and one of the few creators who's done a page of a comic that brought a tear to my eye.

Unfortunately I've yet to read a series by him with a satisfactory ending. They come off as hurried at worst and "so what?" at best. Both Y and Ex Machina left me cold, but I enjoyed every issue right up to that end. And it certainly hasn't stopped me from picking up Saga and loving it.

Pride of Baghdad? A must read. He absolutely rocks it in single graphic novel storytelling.
  • Options

I recently read the first issues to both series, courtesy of free samples supplied by Comixology -- Saga didn't really appeal to me, though Y was intriguing enough for me to put on my list of books-to-catch-up-on-later.

I think you should give Saga another chance. The first issue barely scratches the surface of what makes it so amazing.
    Torchsong said:

Unfortunately I've yet to read a series by him with a satisfactory ending. They come off as hurried at worst and "so what?" at best. Both Y and Ex Machina left me cold, but I enjoyed every issue right up to that end. And it certainly hasn't stopped me from picking up Saga and loving it.

Pride of Baghdad? A must read. He absolutely rocks it in single graphic novel storytelling.

I thought the last 3rd of Ex Machina was pretty weak, but that the ending was a bit of a saving throw.

Y the Last Man is probably my all-time favorite book, its the first one I hand to people who've never read a comic before and think it's all superhero child fare, which a surprising amount of people do.

Other books I enjoyed quite a bit: Queen and Country, Preacher (which @thecomicgeek you should check out if you want something violent), Waid's Daredevil, Hawkeye, Jinx, the first 5 years of Powers, Invincible... the list could go on forever.
  • Options
    @playdohsrepublic
    Thanks! I'll check it out. I looked up Y the last man and I'm gonna look for that one too. I love dystopian stuff as well.
  • Options

Funny you should ask. Here's my blog for today, about my favorite horror comic:

http://panelsbyexperts.tumblr.com

• Options
    PhilyDPhilyD Posts: 6

Go back and read the Blackest Night event. Ive been reading those lately and it's a pretty good story plus you have Zombies with Superpowers. Pretty awesome!

• Options

I think you should give Saga another chance. The first issue barely scratches the surface of what makes it so amazing.
    No, I don't think so. I tried the first issue, and that was that. Nothing there really hooked me, and I really could have done without the birth scene. I'm done.
  • Options
    @PhilyD
    thanks a lot!! sounds great. I'll look for it tonight when I'm at the store. Zombies with superpowers sounds pretty great.

@ChrisMurrin I'm gonna check out Locke & Key. I like what you wrote on your blog. the art also looks fantastic in the panel you posted

• Options

If you have the $$, it's worth it to pick up one of those Vampirella Archives from Dynamite. Pricey, but a good oversized hardcover chock full of old-school horror comic goodness.

I'm a real newcomer to Vampi. For years, decades even, I dismissed her stuff as eye candy for kids who couldn't get ahold of Playboy. And don't kid yourself...the cheesecake is definitely in there. It happened that I found a used trade of some of her early exploits and picked it up cheap...and got hooked almost immediately. Amazing art by some of illustration's finest (seems like pretty much everyone wanted a shot at drawing her!), compelling stories of horror, action, mystery and the occasional slice of (very mild) erotica...I was hooked. There's a lot more to her than the gratuitous T&A.

I'm speaking of the old archive books - not the recent stuff Dynamite is putting out (it's not bad, but if you want the GOOD stuff, you gotta go way back!)

• Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Y the last man Deluxe HC is on DCBS for 18 bucks I had to go for it

• Options
    @Krescan would the Deluxe book one start from the beginning? someone near my place is selling a HC for 8 bucks but I'd just be starting the series.

@Torchsong how much money does it usually go for? (the old ones)
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    yeah it's volume 1, looks like the first 10 issues, not sure what extras it will have but probably some
  • Options
  • Options
    Each of the volumes runs a hefty $50, but they're huge hernia-inducing volumes. :) Most of the stories are self-contained and not all of them feature Vampi in the early issues. Like I said, bring your wallet, but it'll definitely sate your thirst for horror comics.
  • Options
    I'll look and see if they have it at the local comic store :) maybe ill give it a try
    thanks!!
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Each of the volumes runs a hefty $50, but they're huge hernia-inducing volumes. :) Most of the stories are self-contained and not all of them feature Vampi in the early issues. Like I said, bring your wallet, but it'll definitely sate your thirst for horror comics.

ALL of the Early Warren stuff is well worth the money. Best horror comics since EC. However, once Archie Goodwin left, they take a HUGE nosedive in quality that takes a few years to even out. For the Archives they are doing:

-Blazing Combat: One volume, war stories that are just as good as Kurtzman's EC stuff. The book was canceled due to protests from Army PXs devastated sales
    -Creepy: Goodwin left with issue 17, so his work is reprinted in the first 4 volumes (5 issues per book)
    -Eerie: Goodwin left with issue 11, so the first 3 volumes reprint his work (5 issues per book)

After that, it's hit or miss, so buy carefully.

For other horror stuff, you simply can't go wrong with Alan Moore's Swamp Thing.