Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The FOOD Thread - Warning entering increases risk to waist size

Post your recipes, diasters, or favorite dishes..

My contribution:
Here is what I am attempting tomorrow:

Ribs
I am using a dry rub on two Baby Back ribs and added Honey to another 2 BB with the same dry rub:

Sea Salt
Brown Sugar
Paprika
Dry Minced Garlic
A Local Dry Rub and a Steak Seasoning (my special something to make it "Mine")
Coarse Black Pepper

All smoked for about 4-5 hours at 200-225 with soaked wood and charcoal briq.

Comments

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Southern Comfort Cake

1 Yellow Cake Mix
    1 Pkg Instant Vanilla Pudding
    4 Eggs
    ½ Cup Oil (Vegetable, Canola, etc.)
    ½ Cup Water or Milk (one or the other not both. I find water actually works better)
    ½ Cup Southern Comfort liquor

Mix all these together and pour into an EXTREMELY WELL oiled, greased, or Pammed Bundt pan.

Bake at 350 for an hour. Do the toothpick test to make sure it got cooked all the way through.

Glaze:
    4 tbs. butter
    ½ cup sugar
    ½ cup Southern Comfort
    A dash or two of water – just in case things start hardening up.

Blend the sugar, water and butter in a small pan over decent heat (don’t go TOO hot or you’re making candy – just enough to melt the butter and dissolve the sugar). Wait until it’s blended. Add in the booze. Let it heat for a minute or two then pour it generously over the cake (the glaze should soak in if you made it right).

Optional
    I make a streusel by blending brown sugar, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small bowl. When pouring the batter into the Bundt pan, stop halfway through and sprinkle this in a circle around the middle of the pan then cover it with the remaining batter. You get a cool coffee cake thing going then.

WARNING: You make this once, and share it, you will be asked to make it again…and again…and again…
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I'm drooling just reading the recipe, @Torchsong. I need to try making that sometime.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I particularly love the use of the word "streusel" :D
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    This is going to get dangerous
  • Options
    Update on the ribs, they are great the second day, even the third. I have as much fun as smoking them as eating them.

A little too much salt, though. Recipe will be adjusted.
  • Options
    Hey @electric_mayhem, how do you smoke the ribs? I've heard smoking is a great way of cooking different kinds of meat but I've never tried it. I don't own any special equipment/utensils for doing anything like that so is there a way you can do it without all that special stuff?
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    Hey @electric_mayhem, how do you smoke the ribs? I've heard smoking is a great way of cooking different kinds of meat but I've never tried it. I don't own any special equipment/utensils for doing anything like that so is there a way you can do it without all that special stuff?
    OK first you wanna be in safe place. If you have a rumpus room, or maybe a converted basement that's great. In a pinch you can use your car parked in the further-est spot in the parking garage.

Next have some snacks on hand, what ever you like. Make sure to have a mix of both sweet and salty. Also some sort of protein. Slim Jims work nicely.

Water, lots of water.

Music or Movies, but not both.
    For movies you can go classic (Floyd's The Wall) or modern (Donnie Darko) or if you are in a serious mood (Requiem for a Dream)
    For music? Mediski, Martin & Wood always works, you could go with some SRV if you wanna jam, or go retro with some Beatles

then invite some friends over and smoke those ribs...

wait what were we talking about?
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    LOL @Miraclemet : that made me think of those sandwiches the folks on "How I met your Mother" smoke.
  • Options
    @JohnathanConstantine, I smoke the ribs with an offset smoker/grill. Fire in the small box and ribs in the other box. Keep the degrees around 225-275 for about four hours. Keep the ribs seperated for good airflow!

I use this:
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    This thread needs to be around forever.
  • Options
    This thread needs to be around forever.
    Not as funny as the old forum's "Poop Stories" thread. A classic!
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Here's another one my mom handed down to me. Make this once and you'll never buy boxed Macaroni and Cheese again:

Elena's Macaroni Bake (no idea who Elena was but her name's on the recipe)

Note: Much of this I do by feel so measurements will be according to your own tastes
    Note: I find it's best to make a huge dish of this, have people over, then eat the leftovers for the rest of the week (it nukes up great!)

1 lb pkg elbow macaroni
    1 pkg American cheese (get one of those ones where it's singles but not individually wrapped). If you REALLY like cheese, get a couple of these) (And yes...American cheese. No joke).
    1 container Sour Cream (16 oz?) - the taller one, not the little tub
    1 stick butter (hard)
    Salt and Pepper

1) Cook the pasta, drain the water. Really simple.
    2) Grease or Pam up a casserole dish
    3) Cut the cheese (Ha!) into cubes
    4) Cut the butter into cubes
    5) Start layering your stuff like you would a lasagna in the casserole dish - pasta, some of the butter cubes, some of the cheese cubes, salt (to taste) (I don't use a lot), pepper (to taste) (I use a lot!), and slather the sour cream on. Layer of pasta, repeat the other stuff, until you're at the top. As noted earlier, I splurge and use two whole things of cheese. I like cheese.
    6) Once you have the whole thing put together, slap in a 350 degree oven and keep an eye on it until the top layer gets crisp (but not browned or burnt). Maybe 20-30 minutes.
    7) Now this is where you'll question why you went to all that trouble of layering in Step 5 - I like to stir mine up once the cheese and sour cream gets good and melted and then put it back in for another 10 minutes or so.

Take it out, eat. Reheat. Eat again. Call your mom and express your displeasure that she ever bought that Kraft crap. You *will* swear off boxed M&C forever after this...

And I stress, this one is much more done by feel. You may want to try a different cheese. I think cheddar ends up exuding too much oil and you'll get a much greasier Mac&Chee as a result. Try it first with the American and then of course feel free to experiment. I make a HUGE pan of this and have people over, then send 'em home with reheat containers. Great for lunches.

Bon Appetit. And yes, this is one (of many) reasons why I look like Dom Deluise. :)
  • Options
    Heres what I did a couple of weeks ago:

I cup of brown sugar
    Sea salt: 2 tbs
    Coarse black pepper: 2 tbs
    Garlic powder: 2 tbs
    Onion powder: 1 ts
    Ground coriander seed: 1 ts
    Cayenne pepper : 1 ts
    Sweet paprika: 1 ts
    dried thyme: 1 ts

mix it up, makes enough for two racks of baby back deliciousness.

I soak 4 bb ribs overnight in apple juice, then patted them dry, used the dry rub, let them cure the second night, on the third day I baked them for an hour on 225, then the second hour for 175 (in more apple juice)

Then the fun part really began, I smoked the 4 racks for 3 1/2 hours with apple wood and charcoal with a pan of apple juice for moisture. Them racks were so juicy and tasty (with just a hint of spicy hotness) I firmly believe I have found my go-to rib smoking recipe.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I mostly use this for chicken and turkey. I do not measure anything. Everything is by sight and to taste. Watch the pepper levels to suit how much heat you want. I let the bird marinate for at least four hours, ideally you want it to go longer.

lime juice
    olive oil
    soy sauce
    honey
    sea salt
    ground black peper
    ground chipotle
    ground cayenne
    fresh jalapeno (sliced)
    fresh minced garlic
    fresh minced onion
    apple cider vinegar
    liquid smoke (if using a non-charcoal/wood grill or worse if not grilling at all)
    I will sometimes add pineapple, papaya or mango either as juice/pulped or rum.

I usually cook it over hickory or mesquite. I have also used the Jack Daniels wood chips. Low or indirect heat. I would like to try using pimento, kiawe, avocado, ohia or guava in place of the mesquite and hickory but that stuff is not easy to find in northwest Indiana.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    nevermind, move along, nothing to see here.
  • Options
    Heres what I did a couple of weeks ago:

I cup of brown sugar
    Sea salt: 2 tbs
    Coarse black pepper: 2 tbs
    Garlic powder: 2 tbs
    Onion powder: 1 ts
    Ground coriander seed: 1 ts
    Cayenne pepper : 1 ts
    Sweet paprika: 1 ts
    dried thyme: 1 ts

mix it up, makes enough for two racks of baby back deliciousness.

I soak 4 bb ribs overnight in apple juice, then patted them dry, used the dry rub, let them cure the second night, on the third day I baked them for an hour on 225, then the second hour for 175 (in more apple juice)

Then the fun part really began, I smoked the 4 racks for 3 1/2 hours with apple wood and charcoal with a pan of apple juice for moisture. Them racks were so juicy and tasty (with just a hint of spicy hotness) I firmly believe I have found my go-to rib smoking recipe.
    Drooooool.
  • Options
    I mostly use this for chicken and turkey. I do not measure anything. Everything is by sight and to taste. Watch the pepper levels to suit how much heat you want. I let the bird marinate for at least four hours, ideally you want it to go longer.

lime juice
    olive oil
    soy sauce
    honey
    sea salt
    ground black peper
    ground chipotle
    ground cayenne
    fresh jalapeno (sliced)
    fresh minced garlic
    fresh minced onion
    apple cider vinegar
    liquid smoke (if using a non-charcoal/wood grill or worse if not grilling at all)
    I will sometimes add pineapple, papaya or mango either as juice/pulped or rum.

I usually cook it over hickory or mesquite. I have also used the Jack Daniels wood chips. Low or indirect heat. I would like to try using pimento, kiawe, avocado, ohia or guava in place of the mesquite and hickory but that stuff is not easy to find in northwest Indiana.

oh... my... that looks so goood., Could you use guava juice? And Avocados i think are seasonal, my 10 month old just loves them.
  • Options

oh... my... that looks so goood., Could you use guava juice? And Avocados i think are seasonal, my 10 month old just loves them.
    Yes to the guava juice. I love avocados but my wife and kids can't stand them. I was told to try using dried avacodo pits mixed in with or inplace of the wood chips but haven't tried that yet.
  • Options
    Mike's potato dish

Thinly sliced potatoes
    Unsalted, shelled peanuts
    Velveeta
    Onion
    Butter
    Garlic powder.

Start Frying the potatoes in butter
    Add the peanuts
    Add the onion
    Sprinkle a little garlic powder
    Add the cubed velveeta when you are almost finished frying the potatoes.
    Serve

Try to get the potatoes crispy brown. The cheese will make a nasty mess to clean up
    Use salted nuts if you want

All of this is to taste, but add more peanuts than you think.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    The great hunger gnaws once again,
  • Options

I switched out the lime juice with straight mango and guava nectar and let the chicken soak it up for about 26 hours. It made the kids do a happy dance so I'll take that as a job well done.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Just made my first homemade-ish cheesecake.

3 pkgs cream cheese
    1 8oz container sour cream
    11/2 cups sugar
    5 eggs
    2 tblspns vanilla extract
    1 package pilsbury crescent rolls
    Cinnamon

Spread the crescent rolls in the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 pan. Mix the other ingredients an pour onto dough. top with cinnamon and bake in preheated 375 degrees oven for 35 minutes. Chill and enjoy.

I know it isn't a traditional graham cracker crust but with both of us working a 45 minute total time investment for cheesecake was worth it to me.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    HMMMMMMMMMM food!

Matthew
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I know this is generally a cooking thread but I just had a Hot Salami sandwich from Gioia's Deli on The Hill in St. Louis, MO. This recipie has been made in-house for 100 years. This may be the best sandwich I've ever put in my mouth.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Just finished making Breakfast Burritos for the crew at work tomorrow.
    The recipe is for a dozen.

Bacon, 1lb to 12 oz. Reserve a couple of strips to render fat for the eggs. Bake the remaining strips in the oven. Place the bacon on a cooling rack that will fit on a baking sheet. Put the bacon in a cold oven. Set the oven to 400 deg. and bake (don't preheat! Go directly to Bake!) After the oven comes to temperature, check it every 5 minutes until the bacon is how you like it.
    Reserve the bacon fat. You're going to use it to cook the potatoes and chilies (save about 2T for the chilies, the rest for the potatoes).

Eggs (18 eggs required, scramble in 2 batches.)
    Large skillet to med high. In goes 1 strip of bacon. Cook the bacon till it's crispy and the fat is rendered (if your bacon is lean, go ahead and add a little oil to the pan.)
    In a bowl:
    9 eggs, 2 T whole milk, Salt & Pepper to taste
    Beat the eggs, Eggs in the hot pan. Scramble.
    Btw, the pan should be smokin hot.
    When done, the eggs go into a large mixing bowl.

Potatoes (5 med. sized russets or Yukon gold)
    In a large bowl goes the bacon fat reserved from baking the bacon
    Peel, rinse, and cut potatoes into approx. 1" cubes. The potatoes, salt & pepper go in the bowl with the fat. Toss in the fat and place on a baking sheet. This goes into the oven. 400 deg. Check after 15 min.

Chilis
    Use your favorite. Living in the American SW, my family buys chilies at the end of every season, roast, peel, and freeze them. I would suggest that if your using a supermarket frozen chili, drain them. Get them as dry as you can.
    Large skillet to med. high. In goes 1/2 a med. sized onion, diced and 1 clove of garlic, minced. Once the onions turn translucent, in goes the chili (be careful, if the chilies are wet it will get spattertastic real quick). The chilies don't need to cook long. You just want to release some of the chili oil and get some color on them. Crumble the bacon and add it to the pan. Add the potatoes to the pan. Toss everything together and transfer to the large bowl with the eggs.
    Mix everything together and let it cool for about 10 to 15 minutes.

Add 1/2 C of shredded cheddar cheese & mix.

Tortillas (1 doz regular sized)
    Prep the tortillas by warming them in a large skillet (med. low).

Fill the tortillas.

If you're like me and going to take them to work. Wrap the burritos in foil and place in the fridge. The next morning, place them in a warm oven (200 deg) for around 20 to 30 minutes. Place in an insulated carrier and let the boys have at them.

Finally, I know I've got Salt listed with every component of the recipe, but please take it easy. After all, you are using bacon. You won't need much salt at all.