Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What did you think of R.I.P.D. the movie?

fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
iTunes is having a sale on this right now with the HD version only $10. Not a bad price for a film, but I want to know if it is worth it? It doesn't have a lot of good reviews and it was panned by the critics; however, being a comic-based movie I want to get everyone here's opinion. I'm okay with it not being a Citizen Kane, but just a fun popcorn movie. It looks a little like Men in Black, but I don't know 'cause I've never seen it. So what do you think? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    I expect it looks a little like MIB because it has the same director: Ivan Reitman. I haven't seen it yet, but have it on my Netflix list for eventual viewing. To be honest, I don't hold much hope for it, based on those terrible reviews and the fact that it sunk very quickly at the box office.

But I haven't yet seen it, so I can't yet give an honest evaluation.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I saw it, I have no knowledge of the comic so I don't know how well it plays to the source.

If this movie came out before MIB it would have been a huge hit, but MIB did it better. Ryan Reynolds and Will Smith are about even on how they played "that character" but Tommy Lee Jones did circles around Jeff Bridges version of "that character". Bridges seems to be just hoping that surly and southern will come off as funny but it rarely does.

It's probably fine as a popcorn movie, not because it's very good but because it doesn't get a whole lot deeper than some action sequences and a couple of new cop partners arguing.

Oh and on occasion you get to see Marissa Miller, why she's not wearing a hat or anything on her head while James Hong does is a mystery for you to figure out on your own.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I have it on DVD. I got it for free and I'm not so interested in checking it out. I liked the comic well enough but the movie looks pretty lame. For those that have seen it, am I right or am I being too harsh?
  • Options

I expect it looks a little like MIB because it has the same director: Ivan Reitman. I haven't seen it yet, but have it on my Netflix list for eventual viewing. To be honest, I don't hold much hope for it, based on those terrible reviews and the fact that it sunk very quickly at the box office.

But I haven't yet seen it, so I can't yet give an honest evaluation.

Ivan Reitman didn't direct either of those movies. The MiB series was Barry Sonnenfeld and RIPD was Red director Robert Schewntke (rather ironically since Red 2 came out the same day as RIPD).

And I suppose it depends on how much $10 or 96 minutes is worth to you. I thought was a bad rental at 3.99.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Well, I skipped it anyway. Maybe a free rental from Rebox or the library.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    watched it this afternoon on vod. liked it fine. could've taken the idea a little farther and gone a little deeper with it but was enjoyable and entertaining with some chuckles. nothing groundbreaking or never before seen, but was worth the 4.99 to us.