Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1437 Talkback - Thor: The Dark World Movie Review

Marvel Studios has made its second foray into the shining realm of Asgard, and we of CGS have gathered to share our reactions to 'Thor: The Dark World.' (Be thou wary, gentle listeners, for SPOILERS do herein abound!) (1:19:06)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    The_JPThe_JP Posts: 33
    Amazing that Quasar gets brought up in this episode ... no wait, that was me!!!

-JP
  • Options
    The_JP said:

Amazing that Quasar gets brought up in this episode ... no wait, that was me!!!

-JP

Lol!
  • Options
    The individual Thor movies were handled the way the Green Lantern movie(s) could/should have been. Now I know this is a thread, essentially about the Thor movie, but bear with me. Because this is all I could think of when I took in the granduer that was this movie.

Think about it, Thor is from another realm/planet. A place populated by thousands like him. He splits his time between that far off place and Earth/Midgard. The first movie they introduce the mythos, spend an appropriate amount of time on Asgard and tie things nicely with earth. In the second movie, the mythos is established. 9 realms. Asgard, Midgard and Jotunheim were ALL in the first movie, now more make themselves known and MOST of the movie is set in the other realms.

Now were either of the Thor movies mega blockbusters or the best films ever? No. But the first Thor movie was pretty good (something GL wasn't honestly) and the second one was even better...and more awe inspiring.

THAT'S how the GL movies should have been, if they ever even got past the FIRST one.

Also, did any fellow loyal Thor fans see the tree of Idunn in the movie? (the golden apples Asgardians eat to maintain their immortality/youth) It was in one of the many "scroll" shots showing us the Asgardian world.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    LMAO, Jamie D I made the same description about the Thor/Malikeith battle being like Scooby Doo on EMP.

Honestly, I loved this movie. It wasn't perfect but it was damn good, fun, funny and full of action. My 6 year old jumped when Thor lost his hand.

Wasn't the Infinity Guantlet a cut scene from Thor?

My ranking of the Marvel Studios movies.

Avengers
    Iron Man
    Captain America (still debating on placement)
    Thor: The Dark World
  • Options
    This was a fun movie! Did anyone else feel like it was maybe a response to Man of Steel's bleakness?
    Also, the Kirby was strong in this flick.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

This was a fun movie! Did anyone else feel like it was maybe a response to Man of Steel's bleakness?
    Also, the Kirby was strong in this flick.

No. In fact the only time I even thought about Man of Steel was when you saw Thor's back & got the full red cape.

M
  • Options
    Wife, son and I went to see T:TDW. All three of us loved it. My son took a good long time to stop laughing at the "TA DAH!" comment. Wife went to see it to stare at Thor. Honestly, I thought it was much more entertaining and engrossing than the first movie.

Would a solo Loki movie be pretty good?

By the way... we were the ONLY ones in the theater who stayed for the after-credits scene! Though, I don't know if it was worth it....
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    +100 points to JP for bringing up Quasar!
  • Options
    Guys, I'm sure the actors are enjoying themselves working for Marvel Films, but it's on their contracts to do these cameos. They aren't just showing up out of the goodness of their hearts .

For example, Mark Ruffalo signed for 15 films. That includes bits like his Iron Man 3 tag
    IIRC It was also one if the issues Ed Norton and Marvel had issues with, which led to him only doing the one Hulk film.

For the minor actors this again is in their contracts and obviously gives them the opp to get major face recognition with a rapid audience and makes them more bankable for other films that could come up (hey look, it's Peggy Carter)
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

(hey look, it's Peggy Carter)

Oh Peggy!
  • Options
    The_JPThe_JP Posts: 33
    Mr_Cosmic said:

+100 points to JP for bringing up Quasar!

I got Quantum Bands on my mind.

• Options

Guys, I'm sure the actors are enjoying themselves working for Marvel Films, but it's on their contracts to do these cameos. They aren't just showing up out of the goodness of their hearts .

For example, Mark Ruffalo signed for 15 films. That includes bits like his Iron Man 3 tag
    IIRC It was also one if the issues Ed Norton and Marvel had issues with, which led to him only doing the one Hulk film.

For the minor actors this again is in their contracts and obviously gives them the opp to get major face recognition with a rapid audience and makes them more bankable for other films that could come up (hey look, it's Peggy Carter)

I was never under the impression the cameos were a "can you work me in for a cameo? I'll do it for free." I do think its cool to see the cameos. It strengthens the notion it is 1 universe.

Cap's makes sense because Chris Evans was already filming Winter Soldier.

M
  • Options
    I think you don't see Thor wearing his helmet simply because it's one of those comic book elements which don't translate well from the page into live action. Personally? I don't miss it at all. The costumers have already done a brilliant job with Thor's look, as far as coming close to how he's appeared in the comics. And while Jamie wishes we could've seen Thor wear it in the funeral scene, I think that would've been kooky and distracting...
  • Options

I never took it as they were showing up out of the goodness of their hearts or not under contract or wouldn't get paid.

I simply think they are very well dome, very well placed and the actors are having fun popping up in each others movies.
  • Options
    wordballoonwordballoon Posts: 87
    edited November 2013
    shane you said
    'i've been impressed with the actors they got so far, that are willing to do these types of cameos in other people's movies." but again that's the deal that the studio set up with these actors. i believe you when you now say you knew that, but your comment sounded like you didn't (shrug)

other sorts of actors who aren't willing, aren't likely to be in these connected movies
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I Thoroughly enjoyed it, 2.
  • Options
    Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    @BionicDave, I agree with your comments about the helmet wholeheartedly. Thor's helm is the one element that I, even as a life-long die-hard Thor fan have never really enjoyed that much. And you're correct in that the translation from comic to reality with that would have been even more cumbersome and silly. We're already dealing with a lot of elements in this movie (and the others) that push the line (in some cases past) believability. The costuming in these movies has been exquisite, and Thor looks great without the helmet. I'm more than content for him to continue without it.

That being said, I will disagree with you and agree with @JaimeD that he absolutely should have worn it in the funeral scene. That was not only a formal event, but him not looking his absolute best for the funeral of his mother is unacceptable and disrespectful. Every Aesir in attendance should have been at their most Kirbyrific.

Aside from that I loved this movie. I enjoyed it far more than both Man of Steel and Iron Man 3. But I freely admit that my opinion on this matter is wholly and completely biased.
  • Options
    Thor_El said:

@BionicDave, I agree with your comments about the helmet wholeheartedly. Thor's helm is the one element that I, even as a life-long die-hard Thor fan have never really enjoyed that much. And you're correct in that the translation from comic to reality with that would have been even more cumbersome and silly. We're already dealing with a lot of elements in this movie (and the others) that push the line (in some cases past) believability.

That's exactly why, in another thread, I posted a Batman movie with him garbed in a gray & blue, spandex or non-body armor/tactical outfit wouldn't work.

M

• Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    I thoroughly enjoyed this film but I have a question. Maybe I’m missing something or just spaced out, but when Malekith inserted that stone thingamajig into Algrim for the purpose of turning into a Kursed, how did Algrim get to the Asgard dungeons from Malekith’s ship? Weren’t the elves that were already in the dungeons, including the ones that shared a cell with Algrim, the ones who were captured during the prologue battle at the beginning of the film?
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    edited November 2013
    Matt said:

Thor_El said:

@BionicDave, I agree with your comments about the helmet wholeheartedly. Thor's helm is the one element that I, even as a life-long die-hard Thor fan have never really enjoyed that much. And you're correct in that the translation from comic to reality with that would have been even more cumbersome and silly. We're already dealing with a lot of elements in this movie (and the others) that push the line (in some cases past) believability.

That's exactly why, in another thread, I posted a Batman movie with him garbed in a gray & blue, spandex or non-body armor/tactical outfit wouldn't work.

M

yes, you keep saying that...but you're wrong. [-(
  • Options
    random73 said:

Matt said:

Thor_El said:

M

yes, you keep saying that...but you're wrong. [-(
    Only in Wonderland, on Opposite Day, & the cube-shaped planet of an albino Superman with a backward S on his chest & cape.

Since I've yet to read a massive moment to get an amateur, unrealistic, & foolish looking Batman, I'm confident none for the above have occurred. ;)

M
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will tie-in to Thor the Dark World this week. Here is a spoiler free preview.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/11/17/preview-this-weeks-agents-of-shield-ties-into-thor-the-dark-world/

For those that missed it :)
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited November 2013

I think you don't see Thor wearing his helmet simply because it's one of those comic book elements which don't translate well from the page into live action. Personally? I don't miss it at all. The costumers have already done a brilliant job with Thor's look, as far as coming close to how he's appeared in the comics. And while Jamie wishes we could've seen Thor wear it in the funeral scene, I think that would've been kooky and distracting...

Actually I saw an interview with Hemsworth where he says pretty definitively that the helmet was a pain to wear, especially during difficult stunts scenes, so he either asked to keep it off.
  • Options
    BondoBondo Posts: 57
    edited November 2013
    moved the post that was in this place to the Dark World Discussion thread.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I saw the movie last weekend and liked it quite a bit. I'm not going to go into great detail. Others have already said what I would have and done it much better. What I will say is that;

I like how the Thor franchise is being positioned as the "romantic" offering from Marvel. And, by romantic I mean the old school definition, not the current definition of romantic = bow chica wow wow.

Anthony Hopkins didn't have much to do, but what he did was awesome. The way he was sitting in the throne with his head cocked a bit. I immediately knew it was Loki. Frigga kicking Malekith's ass was incredible. Beautifully choreographed.

Meow meow! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Jamie Alexander is HOT!

Tom Hiddleston is the very best thing in the movie.