Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Curt Swan: Post 1986 Stories

I'm working on a history of Curt Swan & I need to concentrate on his post-1986 Superman work. Does anyone have a favorite issue or story he worked on during his last years? His Swamp Thing story with Mark Millar is one of the most bizarre & unexpected things I've read. So, what do you consider a late career Swan highlight that I should include? Any ideas are appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    I'm assuming that you are looking for stuff after his Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

He still is my Superman artist, and always will be. When I think of Superman, his is the artwork I picture in my head. His style is easily identifiable throughout his career, and I am always nostalgic and comforted because of it. But as much as I love his work, after 1986, I find alot of his work generic and uninspired.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Swan didn’t really do much post-’86. There’s Superman: The Earth Stealers, an Aquaman mini-series, and the two-pages “Superman” spreads in Action Weekly. Beyond that, it was a couple of stand-alone stories, annuals, Who’s Who entries, etc. DC was pushing him out the door. With Byrne’s new Superman starting up, they wanted to get away from the “dated” Silver Age look that Swan defined. So they only gave him a few scrap jobs here and there, which is why most of his work from that time felt uninspired.
  • Options
    The Aquaman one-shot he did, with Eric Shanower inking Swan, was gorgeous. I think that led into the mini-series Eric mentions above, though my memory isn't what it used to be.

chris
  • Options
    It was titled - The Legend of Aquaman.

chris
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    Thanks guys! Any particular favorites in the 1980-86 period? Swan once said his favorite story was the "I Flew With Superman" tale from this period where the artist meets the Kryptonian.