Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1452 Talkback - Spotlight on the Avengers in the 2000s

Speakers of Geek from two different states assemble to discuss the Avengers one final time, as our series of 50th-Anniversary retrospective Spotlights on the Avengers concludes with a look at the most recent phase (2000-present) in the decades-long evolution of Earth's Mightiest Heroes. From the grand finale of Kurt Busiek's run, through the custodianships of Geoff Johns and Chuck Austen, to the Avengers' rise to star franchise status under the direction of Brian Michael Bendis, to the cosmic expansionism of Jonathan Hickman's current run, this episode brings us up to date on the Avengers and is the culmination of an entire year of Avengers talk. Miss it not, True Believers! (2:21:14)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Also know as the time when they went from Earth's Mightiest to "Aw what the hell let's make everyone an Avenger!!!" But then again I guess they did that when they made Dr. Druid and Triathalon Avengers.
  • Options
    Thank you. I've been anticipating this wrap up.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    edited January 2014
    Sorry I missed the recording!!!

Here are some of my notes:

The same month as #46 (of the Buseik Era) we get the launch of the first Marvel MAX book called Alias by Bendis and Gaydos starring Jessica Jones ran for 28 issues. (In Amazing Spidey #601 they will retconn Jessica a being a character in Amazing Spidey #4 last panel on page 12).

During the same month as #78 (Austen) Marvel released:

Secret War #1 (Bendis/Dell'oto) of 5. First appearance of Quake and Lucia Von Bardas. Fury had recruited Luke Cage, Spidey, Wolverine, Daredevil, Cap America and Black Widow for a black ops mission and ended up wiping their minds. This black ops mission came back to bite them in the ass as Lucia (from Latveria) strikes back. This causes Fury to go underground and leave S.H.I.E.L.D. It took them from April 2004 to December 2005 to release all 5 issues. Lucia would later appear in the Winter Soldier series. To me it seemed like this was Bendis testing out his New Avengers roster.

Pulse #1 (Bendis/Bagley 1st arc) Osborn is outed by the Bugle, attacks the Bugle hurting a pregnant Jessica Jones. Luke Cage beats the snot out of Osborn and unmasks him publicly.

#6-9 (Bendis/Lark) ties into Secret War

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I'm looking forward to it!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    New Avengers really captured my attention due to Spidey, Wolverine and this dude named Luke Cage. As a die hard X-Men fan this certainly got me to try out New Avengers. Spidey and Wolverine on the same team? How can you not check it out?

The best part of the Skrull Conspiracy is that we knew NOTHING about it until issue #31.

Jamie, Jamie, Jamie...you need to read Uncanny Avengers my friend. THE SENTRY IS BACK! and it may be hard to believe but he's much scarier than before. (Don't sleep on Remender! His Uncanny X-Force run as well as Uncanny Avengers is some great stuff!)

• Options
    Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    edited January 2014
    Excellent finale to the Avengers Spotlight episodes, gentlemen (and lady). I've really been enjoying these retrospectives, and I'll admit I'm sorry to see them finish. I'm a pretty big and long-read Avengers fan myself, so it was a blast.

I'll be looking forward to whatever Spotlights you folks decide to pursue in the future, although selfishly I'd love to see you cover Thor throughout the years. ;)

Also, thank you for the long runtime on this. This episode easily lasted me from 8:00 until lunch time, making work go that much smoother.

EDIT: I also wanted to chime in and say that like others I really quite enjoyed the AVENGERS INITIATIVE series. Well-written, great art, and interesting and fun characters. Plus, as somebody who admittedly would have sided with the pro-registration side of the argument I really liked seeing the training process and individual State teams. It's a shame so much of that has been tossed aside in recent years.

I'm also hoping that Marvel continues to collect the Busiek-and-others AVENGERS series in its entirety in more AVENGERS ASSEMBLE trade collections. I like being able to grab those off the bookshelf at a moment's notice and re-read them at my leisure. I'd like to have that complete volume all in trades.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Bendis went on to admit that Ronin was orignally supposed to be Daredevil.

Bendis also wrote the Spider-Woman Origin mini series with the Luna Brothers.

Before we Civil War we also get:

Pulse #10 (Bendis/Lark) - House of M
    #11-13 (Bendis/Gaydos) - Jessica has her baby.
    #14 maybe 13? - Luke Cage proposes to Jessica

New Avengers Annual #1 (Bendis/Coipel)- the Wedding of Luke and Jessica and the new Adaptoid (former Black Widow II Yelena) attacks.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Post Civil War we get:

You guys didn't mention the closet scene!! At the end of Avengers #26 Hawkeye sees a closet in Wanda's house. He knew behind that door lied the answers he was seeking but instead of opening the door he goes back to sleep. We never found out what was behind the door...but in Children's Crusade we learn that Wanda was an android.

New Avengers #33- the Hood appears. BKV and Holts character created in the MAX book the Hood.

The Mighty Avengers (Bendis/Cho) consisting of Iron Man, Wasp, Ares, Sentry, Black Widow, Wonderman and Mrs Marvel

Avengers The Initiative (Slott and Gage, Casselli killing the art) we get the kids in training...atta boy Murd! I loved this series.

Thunderbolts (Warren Ellis/Deodato) the original Thunderbolts Songbird, Swordman, Radioactive Man, Moonstone are joined by Venom (Marc Gargan), Penance (Speedball) are lead by Norman Osborn and this title builds a lot of propoganda boosting Osborn's public status.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Post Secret Invasion we get:

Dark Avengers- the third ongoing main Avengers book. Funny how this book follows in the footsteps of Thunderbolts in more than one way. (And Venom becomes Spidey). I really really liked this book. So much manipulation going around.

Mighty Avengers- is taken over by Slott
  • Options
    OGN is Avengers Endless Wartime by Warren Ellis
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    What are the CGS spotlight series for 2014?

Matthew
  • Options
    Corwin said:

Jamie, Jamie, Jamie...you need to read Uncanny Avengers my friend. THE SENTRY IS BACK! and it may be hard to believe but he's much scarier than before. (Don't sleep on Remender! His Uncanny X-Force run as well as Uncanny Avengers is some great stuff!)

He, and the other Horsemen, aren't really back..right? Sort of a Blackest Night deal..dead and not really acting like themselves.
  • Options
    mguy1977 said:

What are the CGS spotlight series for 2014?

Matthew

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Marvel COSMIC [-O<
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
  • Options
    Don't know if it was ever mentioned, and I am just now downloading this podcast, so I haven't heard. But, were you aware that the Avengers owe their existence to a missed Daredevil deadline?

It's true."
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Corwin said:

He, and the other Horsemen, aren't really back..right? Sort of a Blackest Night deal..dead and not really acting like themselves.
    I think they're alive enough that if they shake off the effects of the Death seed then they'd be back.

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

Marvel COSMIC [-O<

So much Marvel Cosmic straight out of FF that you just have to do FF before Marvel Cosmic.

• Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited January 2014
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Right. I don't consider those characters "back" either. Still, Uncanny Avengers is some great stuff. Like an ongoing event comic with a ton of thought and continuity references brought in. Possibly my favorite comic series.

I haven't listened to all of this episode so far, and while I've enjoyed what I've heard so far, I've gotta say right now that all bragging rights from Avengers fans go out the window once you realize that Wolverine (and Spider-Man) had to be brought in for Avengers to finally eclipse X-Men in sales (for a while, at least; and once you count in the sum total of all the X-books, I wouldn't be surprised if X-Men were always ahead in sales overall). Not that I have a huge problem with it the way some people do, but they put Wolverine on the cover of New Avengers #1... and he didn't even show up in a cameo until issue #4. That sort of shameless misdirection to grab for sales seemed to be typical of the dastardly Bendis/Breevort super-villain team-up (they bring out the worst in each other imo). And I can't be the only one who senses a bit of parody in Hickman's current stuff. "Bendis made everyone in the Marvel Universe an Avenger? Okay, I'm going to make everyone in THE Universe an Avenger! And we'll see how 'big' we can make this until it all blows up!"

• Options
    LOL, you know I'd go so far as to say that before Bendis came to the X-Men Marvel "saved" their bigger names for the Avengers books. For a while it seemed like the Avengers titles were more of a priority. Or maybe it's just me.
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    Thank you Corwin for your notes, I too am sorry we couldnt make it work, and Matthew I did give you clues at the end of the X-MEN spotlight that goes up next week, stay tuned
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    Corwin said:

Hey dont yell at me, Chris said he was reading Uncanny Avengers so he should have known LOL, I want to read it but another 399 just isnt in the budget
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    edited January 2014
    I love that Osborn created H.A.M.M.E.R. and left it to Victoria Hand to figure out what the acronym actually meant.

• Options
    I miss Victoria.
    Another needless death.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited January 2014
    I wasn’t a big fan of the Triathalon arc either. The story just didn’t quite gel for me.

And while @Adam_Murdough is absolutely correct about Roy Thomas’ intentions with 3-D Man, I don’t believe anyone mentioned that Roy based the character on an actual 1950s character, Captain 3-D, who was created by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby for Harvey Comics.

• Options
    I think it should be noted that during Children's Crusade, the Wanda Maximoff that Hawkeye hooked up with in Avengers 26 was revealed to be a robot created by Dr Doom.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    rebis said:

I think it should be noted that during Children's Crusade, the Wanda Maximoff that Hawkeye hooked up with in Avengers 26 was revealed to be a robot created by Dr Doom.

I know Doom rules a country and all, but if he really wanted to rake in the money, all he’d have to do is mass-produce those robots and put them on the market.

Just saying.
  • Options

rebis said:

I know Doom rules a country and all, but if he really wanted to rake in the money, all he’d have to do is mass-produce those robots and put them on the market.

Just saying.
    How very true!
  • Options

rebis said:

Just saying.
    I think I'd like to order a Carol Danvers, an Elizabeth Braddock, and a Shanna model please...

• Options

rebis said:

Just saying.
    I love that it's always a villian or hero that has developed these technology, never just some guy in a garage... but if he does, then instead of building a business around it he puts on a costume to fight/commit crime... Could you imagine Jobs and Wozniak in spandex?

Kinda brings up the point that there is so much wildly advanced technology in the Marvel Universe and yet everyone lives and acts like its 2014 in the real world. There have been life-like sentient androids... since the 40's... teleportation, time-travel, ftl-space travel, alternate dimensional travel, cloning, cybernetic enhancements, not to mention magic, genetic mutations, known aliens, gods...

We got the smartphone, tablets and social networking and suddenly how we (especially the younger generations) interact, do business, and consume media has changed considerably, yet the lives of the people of the 616 universe is almost completely unaffected by a world so different than ours?

I'd like to see a story of what the MU would be like if it really reflected how different it is than ours.