Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

please recommend some ¨classic¨reads

hi guys, I've been reading a bunch of ongoings, from dc and marvel, and a LOT of great image stuff, but I'm in the mood for some WOW me series with beginning middle and end, i don't care if they're long, as long as they're finite, right not i got promethea and preacher lined uo, but whats a good follow up to those?

thanks in advance guys

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    thanks, loved watchmen of course, and asterios polyp I've had for a WHILE and haven't read, ill put it on the immediate reading list, thanks!
  • Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    Good thread. I have some catching up to do. Going to look for some deals on Zhurrie's and Miscatonic's recommendations.
  • Options
    KilmarockKilmarock Posts: 174
    Losers
    Y: The Last Man
    Camelot 3000
    Crogan's Vengeance
    Crogan's March
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Watchmen
    Jeff Smith's Bone
    Essex County Trilogy (it is from Top Shelf) be sure to have kleenex near you
    Top Ten Books 1 & 2
    Scalped
    Y The Last Man
    Criminal from Brubaker & Phillips each trade has a strong beginning, middle & end. Each trade focuses on different characters in the same universe. (It was a CGS BOMC pick if you are curious)
    Locke & Key is close to wrapping up 5 HCs/tpbs are out out of a 6 in this series. It has great story & art on epic scale.
    Daredevil The Man without Fear it was a 5 issue miniseries by Frank Miller & John Romita Jr.

Happy Reading.

Matthew
  • Options
    awesome, I've already read y the last man, probably one of my favorite series ever, love criminal, and scalped as well!
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Sandman
    Bone
    Strangers in Paradise
    Cerebus (there are some controversial politics in the later issues, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a good series and Dave Sim is a damn fine artist and storyteller)
    Criminal
    Mage (I never actually finished that, but I got the whole collection at the last Wild Pig sale and it's in my to read pile)
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Posts: 62
    Look out for 'Old Man Logan'. One of the best Wolverine stories for years. It's set in the future, is not what you would expect and has the most beautiful artwork in it. Highly recomended.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Mage
    The Rocketeer
  • Options
    Going with @warpangel 's Wolverine choice you could also read Weapon X by Barry Winsor Smith. Nice containted story that gives you some detail to Wolverine's background.

Iron Man Extremis is good because it introduces you to the Iron Man of today.
    Straczynski's Thor run is a good starting point.
    Infinity Gauntlet gives you an idea of Marvel Cosmic.
    Powers
    Ex Machina
    Green Lantern: Rebirth

Definitely a lot of other things but these are just things I can spot on my shelves at the moment.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    I was shooting for self-contained, single book, complete stories. If you are up for multiple book series' then I could list more.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Kingdom Come of course.
    DCs The Griffin is an overlooked forgotten gem IMO.
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    Lone Wolf and Cub
    Osamu Tezuka's Pluto
    Marvels
    Local
  • Options
    A few of my all time favorites:

Skyscrapers of the Midwest
    David B.'s Epileptic
    Hellboy
    B.P.R.D
    Maus
  • Options
    Daredevil: Born Again
    Batman: Year One

both written by Frank Miller and drawn by David Mazzucchelli. Born Again is my favorite superhero story, bar none (and I'm an Alan Moore devotee), and Batman: Year One is right behind it. Amazing stuff.

chris
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Blankets
    Habibi
    We3
    The Escapists
    Queen & Country
    Pride of Baghdad

Kid Friendly:
    Tellos
    I Kill Giants
    Wizard of Oz (Marvel adaptations)
    Anything (mostly) by Doug TenNapel

Superhero fare:
    Superman: For All Seasons
    Superman: Red Son
    DC: The New Frontier

I can give you more, but this, along with all the other responses, will keep you real busy. :D
  • Options
    Blankets
    Habibi
    We3

I Kill Giants
    Wizard of Oz (Marvel adaptations)
    Anything (mostly) by Doug TenNapel
    I definitely agree with all of those listed, just stay away from "Bad Island" by TenNapel. I have no idea WTF happened there but it was one of my bigger letdowns of last year. I LOVE I Kill Giants. Do yourself a favor and grab the Titan edition.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited April 2012

I definitely agree with all of those listed, just stay away from "Bad Island" by TenNapel. I have no idea WTF happened there but it was one of my bigger letdowns of last year. I LOVE I Kill Giants. Do yourself a favor and grab the Titan edition.
    I agree about Bad Island. It wasn't bad-bad, but definitely not as good as his other stuff. My son liked it and that's usually my barometer for books like that.

I also forgot to mention Jim Henson's Tale of Sand.
  • Options
    The pacing was just so terribly off, it lingers on meaningless stuff and then gives you whiplash jumping into other, actually important, bits. I don't understand what went wrong there, it was a simple story to tell and they really managed to bungle it up badly. It was one of the rare books I finish and actively do not want on my shelf or even in my house.
  • Options
    DesertHermitDesertHermit Posts: 80
    edited April 2012
    Daredevil: Born Again
    Batman: Year One

both written by Frank Miller and drawn by David Mazzucchelli. Born Again is my favorite superhero story, bar none (and I'm an Alan Moore devotee), and Batman: Year One is right behind it. Amazing stuff.

chris
    David Mazzucchelli's artwork on Year One is truly magnificent, and Richmond Lewis's watercolors are stunning. The story is excellent, but I have to assert that the art represents the apex of aesthetic possibility in the super hero genre, and even in the medium of graphic narrative as a whole. It is as near to perfection, for me, as I can imagine.

• Options
    Lone Wolf and Cub
    Osamu Tezuka's Pluto
    Marvels
    Local
    I second Local's nod.

Matthew

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Little White Mouse by Paul Sizer. My favorite sci-fi comic book story ever, and one of my all time favorite comics period.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Definately second DC New Frontier. Daredevil: man without fear though I gotta I dont think holds up. I loved it at the time but re-read it years later I didnt see what I thought was so great about it.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Also if you want to read something funny that is for mature audiences read The Big Book of Barry Ween.

Matthew
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Pride of Baghdad
    Orchid (It's currently still in a monthly format but it's a 12 issue story)
    Joe the Barbarian
    Magneto: Testament
    Batman: The Cult
    Astro City: Life in the Big City
    Astro City: Confession
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    Hitman
    Terry Moore's Echo
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited April 2012
    If you haven't read Top Shelf's Box Office Poison collection by Alex Robinson, consider giving it a read. For a series that debuted in 1996, BoP's story seems even more relevant in 2012. One of the book's focal points deals with an elderly comic creator who's characters have suddenly been given a new lease on life via the big screen, only he's getting screwed out of his deserved royalties. Sound familiar?

Awards (source: Wikipedia)
    The 608 page volume of the series was nominated for the Harvey Award for Best Graphic Album of Previously Published Work in 2002, and an Eisner Award, Ignatz Award and a Firecracker Award in 2001 and 2002. The French version of Box Office Poison, called De Mal En Pis, won the Prix Du Premier Album at the Angoulême International Comics Festival in 2005.

Also consider his Tricked and Too Cool to be Forgotten OGNs, both of which are also said and done stories.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    Great multi-volume Sets:
    Y: The Last Man
    Starman
    Bone
    Essex County Trilogy
    Planetes (manga) great 5 volume sci-fi read if you can find it
    Queen & Country

(looks around for Jamie)
    DMZ :-\"

Great 1 Volume Reads:
    We3
    I Kill Giants
    Blankets
    Superman For All Seasons
    All Star Superman

On the fence:
    Powers: Hasn't had an end yet... wonder if it ever will...
    Scalped: also hasnt ended yet, but has been great so far.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited April 2012
    If you haven't read Top Shelf's Box Office Poison collection by Alex Robinson, consider giving it a read. For a series that debuted in 1996, BoP's story seems even more relevant in 2012. One of the book's focal points deals with an elderly comic creator who's characters have suddenly been given a new lease on life via the big screen, only he's getting screwed out of his deserved royalties. Sound familiar?

Awards (source: Wikipedia)
    The 608 page volume of the series was nominated for the Harvey Award for Best Graphic Album of Previously Published Work in 2002, and an Eisner Award, Ignatz Award and a Firecracker Award in 2001 and 2002. The French version of Box Office Poison, called De Mal En Pis, won the Prix Du Premier Album at the Angoulême International Comics Festival in 2005.

Also consider his Tricked and Too Cool to be Forgotten OGNs, both of which are also said and done stories.
    Ditto to this, though I would have to say that I think I liked Tricked a little better than Box Office Poison. Since it's written as an OGN, it reads a little better in that format, where as Box Office Poison was clearly written to be serialized, and Robinson's narrative focus switches characters midway to 2/3rds through, so was a little weird to see two of my favorite characters drop out of the story almost completely near the end. But that aside, the series is still great and very much worth a read.

There's also a much slimmer follow-up volume, BOP! - More Box Office Poison, that reprints the stories that ran in various anthologies and as back-ups in other indy books. Not required reading, and nothing that bears any reliance on the main stories, but still worth reading if you like the other stuff.