Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1455 Talkback - BOMC: Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes

Adam_MurdoughAdam_Murdough Posts: 506
edited January 2014 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
No, you're not dreaming! The "Book of the Month" series is back, and we mark its return with a discussion of the first collected volume of one of the most celebrated series in comics history, if not in all of fantasy literature: Neil Gaiman's Sandman. (1:58:24)

Listen here. Pleasant dreams.

Comments

• Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    Just to let you know, I did get the voice mails for this but didnt see them till we were done with the episode so they will be played in an upcoming episode, I do want to thank those that left them
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    I look forward to Hellboy Library Edition BOMC in 2015.

Matthew
  • Options
    Oh, Skype. You are a fickle mistress!
  • Options
    Currently listening to the show and loving the discussion of my favorite comic series. I plan on offering a better reply at some point, but wanted to add that the award that Jamie (Hatton?), Bill, and Murd are discussing, which had the rules changed, was not the Hugo award, but was actually the World Fantasy Award.

And, to be fair, there is a special Hugo for comics, but I think it came about when Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons won it for Watchmen in the "other forms" category.

chris
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    A couple of points:

1) Sandman did not win the Hugo Award. Issue #19 won the 1991 World Fantasy Award for Best Short Fiction, and it was that organization who changed the rules to prevent comics from being nominated in that category again. The Sandman: Dream Hunters OGN was nominated for a Hugo for Best Related Book in 2000, but did not win.

2) I completely agree about Preludes & Nocturnes not being a good entry point for anyone without prior comic reading experience. I had a female co-worker four or five years ago ask me if she could borrow the book. She had enjoyed American Gods, but had never read a comic. I tried to talk her into reading Fables or Y: The Last Man instead, but she insisted on Sandman. I suggested she read one of the later volumes first, but she insisted on starting at the beginning. It came as no surprise to me that she did not like P&R at all, and when I tried to get her to read something more accessible, she would have none of it. I doubt she’ll ever try a comic/graphic novel again. Sigh.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    I have to agree with Deemer that the first few issues are kind of tough to get through. Lots of words and kind of jumpy artwork. I could see this being impossible to read if you aren't well versed in how to read comics. I did enjoy it however and will probably be reading the rest of the series now. My local library has the whole thing.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Fabulous discussion of one of DC's best series ever. I concur the early material is a struggle at first, but the DC Universe characters showing up was genius on Gaiman's part. My biggest complaint would be that the script far outweighs the artwork, which is uneven at best. The series takes a few tales to find its voice, but by the time you get to "The Sound of Her Wings", it's the Sandman that we've all come to expect.

Excellent production for this episode @JamieD, despite the Skype issues, which, as we all know, are frustratingly beyond anyone's control.

I have to agree with @Adam_Murdough about the historicity of the "CGS Book of the Month" series. I too would prefer the Neil Gaiman's Sandman as more of a feature (similar to the great Spotlight episodes) and instead, the crew could perhaps review "Avengers Forever", "Tales from Age of Apocalypse", "SAGA Volume 1", or any other selection each time you guys do a BOTM episode. I may be in the minority here, but that would be my preference. And NO, I do not want to see a Power Pack episode either... ever.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    Great to have BOMC back!

P&N is one of my favorite TPBs ever. I do think it definitely helps, though, if readers know something about the (real, in-continuity) DC universe before approaching it.

That said, if someone can't get through the difficulty of the first couple of issues, I'm not sure they're cut out for Sandman anyway. The series is pretty complex any way you slice it. Sure, the first volume has the added difficulty of it being set (sort of) in the DCU, but on the other hand there's a lot fewer storylines and characters to remember at that point. I'm not saying that the entry-point of this series is super easy or super reader-friendly, but I don't think it's too much of a struggle either. That first issue was wordy, but it was also a deeply engrossing BLAST of a story! I can't imagine reading another Sandman volume before P&N. Maybe "Dream Hunters" or something like that, but as far as Sandman 1-75 go, I'm definitely of the opinion that they should be read in order, no matter the reader.

And for what it's worth, I know that Sam Kieth has said a lot of things to the effect of "I wasn't a good fit for Sandman", but I personally loved his issues and think their style and sensibility fit well into the overall kaleidoscope of Sandman visuals.

Anyway, it's great to have this segment back. However you guys want to review any of this stuff-- via Spotlights, or BOMC episodes, or FOOTNOTES!-- is fine by me. I think I speak for most of most listeners when I say that we're just happy and grateful for so much of what you give us, especially when the episodes provide in-depth discussion of classic material!
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    A year ago, our grad school prof assigned the full run of Sandman (all 10 graphic novels). It was my first time reading it. It was quite good, and also not exactly my cuppa tea. Gaiman is a gifted writer but there is also the sense that Gaiman is the coolest guy in the room, or at least believes himself to be, and thus if he thinks an otherworldly character with a Robert Smith haircut is the greatest thing ever, you have to play along with that conceit while you read. There is a bit of posing and pontificating in place of actual story in some places, and that gets old (especially when you read the whole series in two weeks), but Gaiman isn't the only prominent writer who does that. So I liked it but had no problem selling the books once I was done.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited January 2014
    Neverwhere ...Gaiman is awesome as the narrator.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    I would recommend Dream Country as a decent starting point for Sandman beginners. Four self contained stories, One of which is considered amongst the very finest of all Sandman tales, all beautifully drawn. Great episode guys. Looking forward to your thoughts on subsequent volumes.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I started reading Sandman around issue 4.And quickly got the previous 3 issues. At one time it was my favorite comic series. But in my eyes it doesn't hold up that well. There are issues that feel like total filler.

Then like someone already said Gaiman gives off this aura of him being too cool for school.
  • Options
    NKQNKQ Posts: 24
    I have to say that I like the crew on this episode, especially James. There's a good mix of personalities. Never read Sandman but always wanted to and based on the comments on the episode, spoilers and all, I'll start from the beginning and find out what I was missing.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Gentlemen,

This episode was magical. The chemistry between all of the people in the room was great. The fact that there was a wide cross section of familiarity with the work was refreshing and even the tangents were a pleasant aside.

For my own experience - I read Sandman from the beginning in issue format and I absolutely loved Preludes and Nocturnes. I wasn't at all familiar with Constantine but, as a child of the DC Silver and Bronze age and so was very familiar with the Golden Age / Earth 2 Sandman, Martian Manhunter and Dr Destiny (JLA 154, which was loosely adapted into the JLU Dr Destiny episode, was one of my all-time favorite issues as a child - I literally read the cover off of it). So I was very much onboard with this story and was a little resentful when Vertigo launch divorced their titles from the DC Universe proper.

@bryandeemer: I'm curious about your comments about your comments with regard to Gaiman having some drug addled elements to some of his novels (I don't recall your precise phrasing) given the number of times that you've brought up China Mieville over in the Novels thread. It's an interesting dichotomy and I'd love to know what your distinction is between the two.
  • Options
    Elsiebub said:

Great to have BOMC back!

P&N is one of my favorite TPBs ever. I do think it definitely helps, though, if readers know something about the (real, in-continuity) DC universe before approaching it.

That said, if someone can't get through the difficulty of the first couple of issues, I'm not sure they're cut out for Sandman anyway. The series is pretty complex any way you slice it. Sure, the first volume has the added difficulty of it being set (sort of) in the DCU, but on the other hand there's a lot fewer storylines and characters to remember at that point. I'm not saying that the entry-point of this series is super easy or super reader-friendly, but I don't think it's too much of a struggle either. That first issue was wordy, but it was also a deeply engrossing BLAST of a story! I can't imagine reading another Sandman volume before P&N. Maybe "Dream Hunters" or something like that, but as far as Sandman 1-75 go, I'm definitely of the opinion that they should be read in order, no matter the reader.

And for what it's worth, I know that Sam Kieth has said a lot of things to the effect of "I wasn't a good fit for Sandman", but I personally loved his issues and think their style and sensibility fit well into the overall kaleidoscope of Sandman visuals.

Anyway, it's great to have this segment back. However you guys want to review any of this stuff-- via Spotlights, or BOMC episodes, or FOOTNOTES!-- is fine by me. I think I speak for most of most listeners when I say that we're just happy and grateful for so much of what you give us, especially when the episodes provide in-depth discussion of classic material!

Sam Keith was right... he was absolutely not the right artist for Sandman, and, as much as I hate creators "revising" their works, (ala the "special editions"), I wish they could have the first few issues redrawn. Blasphemy, I know.