Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Favorite TV Villains

Who's you're favorite TV villain. Not your animated ones, or Lex or the Joker (maybe Louie the Lilac), but your KARRs, your Louie DiPalmas, your Gilligans. TV villains you'd want as a nemesis, base your own villainy, or just couldn't stand.

My favorite has to be Murdoc. MacGyver was always able to figure a way out of Murdoc's traps, was a master of disguise, crafty, & never seemed to stay dead.

So...who's your's?

M

Comments

• Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited January 2014
    10 in no particular order

Murdoc- Macgyver
    Siegfried- Get Smart
    Arvin Sloane- Alias
    Ben Linus- Lost
    Gustavo Fring- Breaking Bad
    Charles Logan- 24
    Vernon Shillinger- Oz
    The Daleks- Doctor Who
    Q- Star Trek TNG
    Lord Zedd- Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

10 in no particular order

Murdoc- Macgyver
    Siegfried- Get Smart
    Arvin Sloane- Alias
    Ben Linus- Lost
    Gustavo Fring- Breaking Bad
    Charles Logan- 24
    Vernon Shillinger- Oz
    The Daleks- Doctor Who
    Q- Star Trek TNG
    Lord Zedd- Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

I forgot about Ben Linus. Until the last season, he was my favorite character on the show.

M
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Ew? Daleks? Never my favorite villain. I'll take the cybermen over the daleks anyday. Specifically the cybermen from the Peter Davison episode Earthshock. I like seeing the almost human mouth move behind that clear chin guard.
  • Options
    random73 said:

Ew? Daleks? Never my favorite villain. I'll take the cybermen over the daleks anyday. Specifically the cybermen from the Peter Davison episode Earthshock. I like seeing the almost human mouth move behind that clear chin guard.

Nothing beats a killer pepper pot from outerspace...
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Too soon to call a favorite but I love Hannibal's Hannibal Lecter. Mad's version feels like the disquieting malaise I always read into the source material as opposed to the campy elegance of Hopkins' version.

Daleks get old. I always loved Romulans. STNG did them well.
  • Options
    Boyd on Justified. Damn, he's smart and I can't wait to see how Rayland finally takes him out.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Julie Newmar's Catwoman on Batman 66'. Let's ignore that it's Julie Newmar in her prime poured into a catsuit (or let's not!) :) , she also had the on-again/off-again thing with Batman, the most wicked deathtraps, and she was always confounding the Dynamic Duo at every turn. Most of the other villains were goofy and silly (and fun) but there was always a menace to the way Newmar would snarl her lines that I liked.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Mayor Wilkins on Buffy, when he turned the switch from being nice to being not nice was a creepy kind of Evil

Also Hank from Breaking Bad :)
  • Options
    Okay, I'll try name a few I haven't seen mentioned.

Gul Dukat, Deep Space Nine - Of all the Treks, Deep Space Nine is my favorite, and if you are talking about TV-only villains, Gul Dukat was unrivaled in Trek history. The character had the benefit of being developed completely, being a perfectly complex foible for Benjamin Sisko.

Russell Hantz, Season 19, Survivor: Samoa - Richard Hatch may have been the first great villain of Survivor, but when it comes to pure villainy, Russell is the hands-down greatest villain ever seen on reality TV. I never rooted for a more despicable character. He was robbed at the end of that season, when the jury decided (for the only time in the history of the show) that "riding the coattails of another player" was a legitimate "strategy" worthy of winning Survivor.

Diana, V - I'm talking the original here. Despite the fact that I'm basing this decision on the miniseries (hey, they were TV!), Diana was one of the most downright evil and manipulative villains to ever grace the small screen.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Dr. Smith from Lost in Space.
    Dr. Loveless from Wild Wild West
    Newman from Seinfeld
    Hoodoo from Lidsville
  • Options
    rebis said:

Newman from Seinfeld

+1

• Options
    Gus Fring - Breaking Bad
    Stringer Bell - The Wire
    Al Swearengen - Deadwood
    The Lannisters - Game of Thrones
    Ben Linus - Lost
    Baltar - Battlestar Galactica (the remake)
    Joe Carroll - The Following
    Eddy Haskell - Leave it to Beaver
    Simon Cowell - American Idol
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Crime - TJ Hooker
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'll second EarthGBilly's Gul Dukat and raise you a Kai Winn...lordy I've never hated a woman so much in my life. Not since Nurse Ratched...hey wait a minute... :)

Gotta add Gus Fring, Ben Linus and Cersi Lannister in there as well. All great baddies that you can't not watch when they're on the screen.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Obadiah Hakeswill on Sharpe's Rifles.
    Mags Bennett from Justified.
    Dr. Peter White of St. Elsewhere.
    "Bad Sal" Benedetto on Hill Street Blues
    Don Draper on Mad Men
    Thomas Barrow on Downton Abbey.
    Atherton Wing on Firefly.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    WetRats said:

I commend your taste, good sir!

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    hauberk said:

WetRats said:

I commend your taste, good sir!
    Thankee!
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Torchsong said:

Julie Newmar's Catwoman on Batman 66'. Let's ignore that it's Julie Newmar in her prime poured into a catsuit (or let's not!) :) , she also had the on-again/off-again thing with Batman, the most wicked deathtraps, and she was always confounding the Dynamic Duo at every turn. Most of the other villains were goofy and silly (and fun) but there was always a menace to the way Newmar would snarl her lines that I liked.

One of my favorite Catwoman bits comes at the end of one of the episodes where she's being arrested and very emotionally asks Batman if there could ever be anything between them, and of course Batman is starting to melt a bit and asks that if they were to pair off, what would happen to Robin? And then she turns on a dime and just as matter-of-factly as can be says "Well, we KILL him, of course!" :))
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Newmar and Gorshin made that show for me.
  • Options
    After reading some of the horror stories about accommodations in the Olympic village, let me add rootin' tootin' Vladamir Putin to the list.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    shroud68 said:

Too soon to call a favorite but I love Hannibal's Hannibal Lecter. Mad's version feels like the disquieting malaise I always read into the source material as opposed to the campy elegance of Hopkins' version.

Daleks get old. I always loved Romulans. STNG did them well.

Cybermen (Dr. Who)
    The Original Travis (Blakes-7) Not the pretty boy version from season 3
    Diana (V)
    Hannibal (Hannibal) Mad's is believable both as the helpful friend and the sick lunatic.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited February 2014
    Frank Nelson on The Jack Benny Program...it might be a stretch.
  • Options
    I enjoyed Lex Luthor on Smallville, as they took him on a journey from a troubled teen to a potentially decent person to the ultimate villain.

I'll also agree with Kai Winn on ST:DS9 (I liked her better than Gul Dukat) and Ben Linus on Lost.

And I'll add the Sheriff Of Nottingham from the 1950's Adventures Of Robin Hood. (I have the entire series on DVD.)