Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Famous People in the Letter Pages

I wonder if anyone has compiled a list of famous people who have had their letters published in a comic book? I'm not talking about prolific letterhacks or even comic book professionals..but rather people who latter became famous. For example, I know George R.R. Martin had letters published. For some reason this really interests me and if someone has more info on this I'd be glad read about it..thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Comic book pros aren't famous!?
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    edited February 2014
    Probably not what you're looking for, but this happened during the Green Lantern-Green Arrow glory years (from wikipedia):

In "Snowbirds Don't Fly" issues #85 and #86. Neal Adams drew the cover, which showed Green Arrow’s youthful side-kick, Speedy, shooting heroin. DC Comics approved Adams' cover and O'Neil wrote a two-part story involving drugs with Speedy being hooked. New York Mayor John V. Lindsay wrote a letter to DC Comics in response to the issue commending them, which was printed in issue #86.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I've been reading the first of those hernia-inducing Vampirella archive books and in the letters column there's a letter from a Pat DiNizio. I saw a documentary about him where he's got a thing for collecting gothic and horror type stuff...so I wonder if it really is THE Pat DiNizio (lead singer for the Smithereens).
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited February 2014

Comic book pros aren't famous!?

I'm not saying that. It's just that their letters are pretty well documented. I'm just wondering if anyone has an idea how many famous people(not typically associated with comics) have had letters printed. Maybe there haven't been many at all..I don't know.

@Torchsong @RickM cool examples, thanks!

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Torchsong said:

I've been reading the first of those hernia-inducing Vampirella archive books and in the letters column there's a letter from a Pat DiNizio. I saw a documentary about him where he's got a thing for collecting gothic and horror type stuff...so I wonder if it really is THE Pat DiNizio (lead singer for the Smithereens).

I'd sure be inclined to think so!
  • Options
    I've had some letters printed, and I'm famous.

right?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

I've had some letters printed, and I'm famous.

right?

@Adam_Murdough saying that you had a letter in an issue of Batman is actually what got me thinking about the topic in the first place!

• Options
    Yep...in the 80's I was in Batman, Solo Avengers and a few others. Recently, I had a letter in Wolverine. I'm actually starting to write letters again, as Marvel is printing them. Maybe I should do a solo podcast as to why...
  • Options
    here is a pic of Mr. Martin's letter in FF 20.

Mr_Cosmic said:

I wonder if anyone has compiled a list of famous people who have had their letters published in a comic book? I'm not talking about prolific letterhacks or even comic book professionals..but rather people who latter became famous. For example, I know George R.R. Martin had letters published. For some reason this really interests me and if someone has more info on this I'd be glad read about it..thanks!