Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

'Newish' to comics, what do you think of my plan?

Hello all. Here's my backstory. Summer of '82, between 5th and 6th grade I met this guy, high schooler, that was into comics. I thought it would be cool to get into them, having been familiar with 'super hero cartoons'. I probably bought 20-30 comics that summer, and I do not believe that I read a single one. I was not a fan of reading. I would just thumb through them, that's about it.
Fast forward 25 years. I bought the Marvel Star Wars TPB, because I have always really been into SW. I got some of the newer SW stuff. That lasted 6 months. I did read them this time.
6 months ago I got into listening to a couple of audio books of SW stories. That lead me to getting a SW omnibus on my iPad, and then another one in print. This lead me to investigating the rest of the comic world.
I thought I would like to give comics another go, but, like many other people, where to start. I did a lot of searching the subject online. I didn't know if I wanted to go the digital or print route. I picked up the New 52 Justice League Vol 1 (Digital) via Comixology. Really liked it. I bought a few more titles then I found Marvel Unlimited. This really caught my attention.
I jumped in and signed up for a year subscription with the intention of 'starting at the beginning' and moving forward.
I am reading Captain American, Sub-Mariner, and All-Winners (1941) and Fantastic Four, Tales to Astonish, Tales of Suspense, Strange Tales, Journey into Mystery (thor), Spider Man. I'm going to try and progress through the Marvel titles that are available on Marvel Unlimited. I've read 57 books in the first two weeks, as having them always with me (iPad) make it the ultimate in convenience.
This is my plan and I look forward to hearing from some of you.

Comments

• Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I think its very cool that you are starting from the beginning. FF and Amazing Spider-Man would be great introductions to the modern (post 1960) Marvel U, if you can read the first 100 or 150 issues of those. Also the Avengers.

Podcasts like CGS are great helps in understanding the history of the MU.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    I don't know if I would limit myself to ONLY stories done 40 years (or more) ago.

Part of the what I enjoy about the comics is the "self-referential" aspect of the various universes that build upon themselves. I very much enjoy reading a contemporary (within the last 20 years) storyline that alludes to something that happened in the past (even in another title), then going back and finding those issues. Like one giant puzzle that slowly becomes complete.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    WetRats said:

I'd recommend Marvels.

It puts those stories in their historical context.

And it's just great.

Ditto.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Marvel also got a "soft reboot" in the time period between 1999 and 2001. None of the stories went away, but editorial got away from the continuity heavy storytelling style and moved to a "write for the trade" style. If you read Marvels, and then start up with the stuff around the time of Avengers Disassembled, New X-Men and JMS's Spider-Man, you'll have a good handle on the current Marvel U.
  • Options

WetRats said:

I'd recommend Marvels.

It puts those stories in their historical context.

And it's just great.

Ditto.
    Ditko.
  • Options
    Well I have had Marvel Unlimited for 30 day and have read 106 comics. I'm differently getting plenty of 'band for my buck' and I'm totally enjoying it.
    Spurred from listening to the CGS podcasts I developed a bit of a curiosity in the whole 'Crisis thing'. I purchased from Comixology Infinite Crisis Trade and read 20 pages or so. Wow, totally confused. This lead to me downloading the Crisis tapes. Im currently on #4. Now I find myself wanting to pickup all the Crisis stuff. All this has answered my question of, 'Why do I keep hearing about guys continuing to buy books that they haven't read and seems that they never will.' It is because there is so much good stuff out there.
    With 11 more months on my Marvel Unlimited subscription, I believe that I will continue to plow through the Silver Age of Marvel and continue listening to CGS.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

Spurred from listening to the CGS podcasts I developed a bit of a curiosity in the whole 'Crisis thing'. I purchased from Comixology Infinite Crisis Trade and read 20 pages or so. Wow, totally confused. This lead to me downloading the Crisis tapes. Im currently on #4. Now I find myself wanting to pickup all the Crisis stuff. All this has answered my question of, 'Why do I keep hearing about guys continuing to buy books that they haven't read and seems that they never will.' It is because there is so much good stuff out there.

I think you're getting confused by two different Crises... the Crisis tapes, I believe, are about the Crisis On Infinite Earths (1985) which was a different (though similar) event than Infinite Crisis (2005).
  • Options
    Oh yes, I am confused, and by a lot more than the different Crisis'. I did, eventually realize that 'Crisis' went back, back, back before Infinite Crisis, after starting the Crisis tapes.