Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Classic Marvel Movies

Hello Everyone,

I've discovered some of the older Marvel movies and I figured some of you might get some enjoyment out of them. Here you go!

The Fantastic Four (1994)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbK6CUB4MJs

Spider-Man: The Dragon's Challenge (1979)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXrZrUmmsp8

The Amazing Spider-Man (1977)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uRLgeEepzg

The Punisher (1989)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xeWlZHsbG8

Dr. Strange (1978)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNu6RVLXAR8

Spider-Man Strikes Back (1978)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTRzpRTJn-o

Comments

• Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    edited March 2014
    The Incredible Hulk pilot movie (1978)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuwxA03tFK8

Thank you for these sir! Allow me to add another goody to the mix.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Brack said:

Let's have some more!

Generation X

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2woRmWMhm0

Dracula, Sovereign of the Damned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1x_9Tv9QZ8

Thanks been wanting to see the Dracula cartoon for a long time.
  • Options
    SharkJumperSharkJumper Posts: 204
  • Options
    Wow... I posted links to obscure, out of print comics, that had been scanned and posted online, and the Civilian Copyright Safeguard Legion got all over me, and shamed me out of town for posting them on the forums...

But Noooooooo... full obscure, out of print movies are ok??

???
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Tonebone said:

Wow... I posted links to obscure, out of print comics, that had been scanned and posted online, and the Civilian Copyright Safeguard Legion got all over me, and shamed me out of town for posting them on the forums...

???

That's a valid point. What is the status of these clips?
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    They're all too recent to have fallen into public domain. I'm not sure how much you can use and still claim fair use, but it's surely less than two minutes. I haven't watched any of these clips to see how long they are, but even if they're all less than two minutes, there aren't being used here in a way that would fall under fair use anyway.

Frankly, I don't know how YouTube managed to avoid being shut down years ago. I realize that now the production studios have developed a sort of sybiotic relationship with YouTube, but how YouTube was able to fanagle their way into that position is astounding.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Tonebone said:

???

I'm trying to understand how comic related links (videos, images, etc) would ever be out of bounds here unless the material is age-restricted. Simply sharing a link doesn't seem to me to be out of bounds. Uploading and posting material yourself might be a different story, but if the copyright holder does their due diligence, the link will be broken eventually anyhow. What am I missing?
  • Options

Tonebone said:

???

I'm trying to understand how comic related links (videos, images, etc) would ever be out of bounds here unless the material is age-restricted. Simply sharing a link doesn't seem to me to be out of bounds. Uploading and posting material yourself might be a different story, but if the copyright holder does their due diligence, the link will be broken eventually anyhow. What am I missing?
    These aren't just links where you go to another site to watch the movies. You can watch these movies without leaving the message board. In effect, the message board is distributing the films, which technically makes the owners of the board susceptible to legal action—though they would likely just get a cease-and-desist if it ever came down to it. Given that the copyright owners are ignoring the YouTube posts, odds are they would never even notice and/or care that the films are viewable here as well. Doesn't make it legal though.
  • Options

These aren't just links where you go to another site to watch the movies. You can watch these movies without leaving the message board. In effect, the message board is distributing the films, which technically makes the owners of the board susceptible to legal action—though they would likely just get a cease-and-desist if it ever came down to it. Given that the copyright owners are ignoring the YouTube posts, odds are they would never even notice and/or care that the films are viewable here as well. Doesn't make it legal though.

Hmmm. Since it isn't piracy to post a youtube link on Facebook, share it on Google+, or post it to a message board, I think it stands to reason that the onus is on Youtube to stop hosting the file if it is illegal and they've developed algorithms to do just that. We're merely sharing youtube links. Further, access to this website is not monetized and neither is watching these 30+ year old videos which are likely available online no where else but Youtube. And since YouTube is a subsidiary of Google, a large, "reputable" company, our default assumption could be that any video clip on YouTube has been posted with the tacit (at least) approval of the copyright holder and therefore may be legally viewed.

Since your specialty is comic books and mine is video, you may not be aware that in a major victory for Google in its battle with media companies, a federal judge in New York on threw out a $1 billion copyright infringement lawsuit brought against Google’s YouTube by Viacom. The judge granted Google’s motion for summary judgment, saying the company was shielded from Viacom’s copyright claims by “safe harbor” provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Those provisions generally protect a Web site from liability for copyrighted material uploaded by its users as long as the operator of the site takes down the material when notified by its rightful owner that it was uploaded without permission.

If the copyright holders object to the entire movie being available on YouTube in whole or in fragments, they have recourses to have it removed (and that's YouTube's responsibility, not this message board). None of these links were presented as a "how to download the movie (illegal)" but simply posted for anyone that wanted to to watch the clips. The default assumption is that anything on YouTube is up there legally and is okay to link to. One needn't go to unusual trouble to ascertain this status.

Finally, one could argue that posting links to available comic book movies online would constitute some "fair use", especially when we get to mock some of these ripe targets :) Generally speaking you won't get into trouble for posting a link to something like this but everyone should probably use some care in what they link to.
  • Options

Hmmm. Since it isn't piracy to post a youtube link on Facebook, share it on Google+, or post it to a message board, I think it stands to reason that the onus is on Youtube to stop hosting the file if it is illegal and they've developed algorithms to do just that. We're merely sharing youtube links. Further, access to this website is not monetized and neither is watching these 30+ year old videos which are likely available online no where else but Youtube. And since YouTube is a subsidiary of Google, a large, "reputable" company, our default assumption could be that any video clip on YouTube has been posted with the tacit (at least) approval of the copyright holder and therefore may be legally viewed.

Since your specialty is comic books and mine is video, you may not be aware that in a major victory for Google in its battle with media companies, a federal judge in New York on threw out a $1 billion copyright infringement lawsuit brought against Google’s YouTube by Viacom. The judge granted Google’s motion for summary judgment, saying the company was shielded from Viacom’s copyright claims by “safe harbor” provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Those provisions generally protect a Web site from liability for copyrighted material uploaded by its users as long as the operator of the site takes down the material when notified by its rightful owner that it was uploaded without permission.

If the copyright holders object to the entire movie being available on YouTube in whole or in fragments, they have recourses to have it removed (and that's YouTube's responsibility, not this message board). None of these links were presented as a "how to download the movie (illegal)" but simply posted for anyone that wanted to to watch the clips. The default assumption is that anything on YouTube is up there legally and is okay to link to. One needn't go to unusual trouble to ascertain this status.

Finally, one could argue that posting links to available comic book movies online would constitute some "fair use", especially when we get to mock some of these ripe targets :) Generally speaking you won't get into trouble for posting a link to something like this but everyone should probably use some care in what they link to.
    The “safe harbor” provisions were what I was talking about earlier when I mentioned how astounded I was that YouTube was able to fanagle themselves out of lawsuits. I don't know how the law would classify the type of link above. As I said, you don't have to leave this page in order to view the content. The content is hosted on another site, yes, but I would think a lawyer could very easily argue this as distribution.

I do know Fair Use law though—I deal with it every day in one form or another—and this does not qualify as fair use in any way, either here or on YouTube.

I've got more to say on this subject, particularly in regards to a couple of things you just mentioned, but I don't have time to do so at the moment. I will say that I produced two DVD documentaries several years back. They were illegally posted to YouTube last year, and were there for several months before a friend told me they were there and I asked them to be taken down. I don't know what kind of algorithms YouTube has to keep piracy at bay (see what I did there?), but I guarantee you that stuff slips through all the time.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    You're entitled to see it your way on this, but I would happily play defense to your prosecution on this one. YouTube is the party responsible for removing the content after being notified by the owner. Once that happens, any errant links are immediately broken and useless. Imagine what a daunting task it would be to comb every message board on the internet to have a video removed instead of simply notifying YouTube.

And while it may be a stretch, the fair use argument would be that this is a comic book message board for enthusiasts, and not a "for profit" website, where the main purpose is reviewing, critiquing, and joking about the comics medium. How many times has a link turned up broken on say, BleedingCool? Were they liable? Also, I don't think it is CGS's responsibility to fight Youtube's or Google's battles. The posters of these clips may actually have permission to do so, and we as internet users can safely assume that such clips are legal until further notice.

Not claiming this makes me an expert:my IMDB entry
  • Options

You're entitled to see it your way on this, but I would happily play defense to your prosecution on this one. YouTube is the party responsible for removing the content after being notified by the owner. Once that happens, any errant links are immediately broken and useless. Imagine what a daunting task it would be to comb every message board on the internet to have a video removed instead of simply notifying YouTube.

YouTube would be the principal offender and, yes, it would be simpler to have them remove the video from their site, thereby rendering all of the other links connected to it useless and broken. However, anybody who posted links to that video is also guilty; posting or reposting copyrighted material is still illegal, and each reposter is just as guilty as the original poster. They would be complicit in the illegal distribution of copyrighted material without permission. (This assumes, of course, that the original post was done without permission; there are quite a few on YouTube that are put there by their legal owners, in which case permission to repost is assumed.)

And while it may be a stretch, the fair use argument would be that this is a comic book message board for enthusiasts, and not a "for profit" website, where the main purpose is reviewing, critiquing, and joking about the comics medium. How many times has a link turned up broken on say, BleedingCool? Were they liable?

The 'not for profit' argument is meaningless. It doesn't matter if someone was making money or not from posting or reposting a copyrighted image on their site; the only thing that matters is whether or not they had permission. If not, then, yes, they're liable. The only exception to this would be 'fair use', which is generally defined as a single image or a few lines of text used as a sample of a work, usually for review purposes.

Also, I don't think it is CGS's responsibility to fight Youtube's or Google's battles. The posters of these clips may actually have permission to do so, and we as internet users can safely assume that such clips are legal until further notice.

While it's true that some (or even several) posters may have legitimate permission to post clips, I really don't think it's safe to make any assumptions. I don't generally browse YouTube, but I would expect that permissions or some not of ownership would be noted on each entry? If so, it's easy enough for a viewer to check on the original post.

I will also hastily note that I am also not a lawyer, and I base my above observations on material that I have read on copyrights and copyright law; the real test in any case would be determined in court.

• Options
    Chuck responded almost exactly how I was going to respond. The only thing I would add in regards to Fair Use is that the laws are somewhat vague when it comes down to just how much you can use. Fair Use can only be claimed when used for educational, historical, or review purposes. Snark or parody need not apply. And, again, even in those cases, the amount of material you are allowed to use is very limited. And one line of text saying, “This clip is from the CBS Dr. Strange made-for-TV movie from the ’70s,” does not provide enough context for one to be able to claim Fair Use.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I'm wondering why my lengthy and researched response to @Chuck_Melville is being moderated instead of posting?

I will post it again...
  • Options
    Wow... didn't mean to open a can of beans. I really have no problem with either comics pages links or videos being posted... I was just pointing out the double standard that seems to apply.
  • Options
    Google-owned YouTube won a major victory in June of 2010 when a federal judge ruled the video-sharing site was protected under U.S. copyright law. In short, the ruling said that internet companies, even if they know they are hosting infringing material, are immune from copyright liability if they promptly remove works at a rights-holder’s request — under what is known as a takedown notice.

The Youtube TOS states that each user of the Service grants a non-exclusive license to access the Content through the Service, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such Content as permitted through the functionality of the Service and under these Terms of Service. Youtube TOS part 6C

This clearly states that the uploader/owner of the video grants a limited license to embed the video simply by leaving the embed option turned on (which is part of the functionality of the Youtube Service).

It is highly improbable that anyone would come after CGS in this case because it would make more sense to either issue a take-down request to Youtube or simply go after the original uploader of the YouTube video first. Youtube obviously bears the responsibility for the use of any video that they make available to the public, not the ultimate user of their service. Once Youtube takes the video down, all errant links are immediately broken. Happens all the time over at BleedingCool.

Also from YouTube TOS:(6.B.)You shall be solely responsible for your own Content and the consequences of submitting and publishing your Content on the Service. You affirm, represent, and warrant that you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to publish Content you submit; and you license to YouTube all patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights in and to such Content for publication on the Service pursuant to these Terms of Service.

If an uploader has uploaded a video, they have accepted these TOS, so you can assume that they have obtained rights to do so. Next:(part of 6.C.) You also hereby grant each user of the Service a non-exclusive license to access your Content through the Service, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such Content as permitted through the functionality of the Service and under these Terms of Service.

So, the uploader has granted each user of the Service a license to reproduce, distribute, display and perform a video as permitted through the functionality of the Service. That's, obviously, embedding.

And to further enforce copyrights:(6.D.)You further agree that Content you submit to the Service will not contain third party copyrighted material, or material that is subject to other third party proprietary rights, unless you have permission from the rightful owner of the material or you are otherwise legally entitled to post the material and to grant YouTube all of the license rights granted herein.

Anyone can embed legally any YouTube video on their site that has the option to embed because they have been granted license to do so by the uploader, YouTube TOS states that. And the end user cannot bet held liable for any copyright infringements even if the video itself is illegal, as that's a breach of YouTube TOS and the person using the YouTube embed feature is not responsible for that.

Worst case scenario would be that CGS receives a take-down notice and has to take down the offending link without haste. See take-down notice

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited March 2014

I'm wondering why my lengthy and researched response to @Chuck_Melville is being moderated instead of posting?

I will post it again...

I think it was a glitch-- I never saw it in the moderation queue, and I don't know of anyone who even uses the functionality of flagging something to be moderated later. So I think it was some problem with the system.
  • Options
    Thanks @David_D - I probably only provided as long-winded a response as the first time, so flag away if necessary :)
  • Options

Google-owned YouTube won a major victory in June of 2010 when a federal judge ruled the video-sharing site was protected under U.S. copyright law. In short, the ruling said that internet companies, even if they know they are hosting infringing material, are immune from copyright liability if they promptly remove works at a rights-holder’s request — under what is known as a takedown notice.

The Youtube TOS states that each user of the Service grants a non-exclusive license to access the Content through the Service, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such Content as permitted through the functionality of the Service and under these Terms of Service. Youtube TOS part 6C

This clearly states that the uploader/owner of the video grants a limited license to embed the video simply by leaving the embed option turned on (which is part of the functionality of the Youtube Service).

It is highly improbable that anyone would come after CGS in this case because it would make more sense to either issue a take-down request to Youtube or simply go after the original uploader of the YouTube video first. Youtube obviously bears the responsibility for the use of any video that they make available to the public, not the ultimate user of their service. Once Youtube takes the video down, all errant links are immediately broken. Happens all the time over at BleedingCool.

Also from YouTube TOS:(6.B.)You shall be solely responsible for your own Content and the consequences of submitting and publishing your Content on the Service. You affirm, represent, and warrant that you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to publish Content you submit; and you license to YouTube all patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights in and to such Content for publication on the Service pursuant to these Terms of Service.

If an uploader has uploaded a video, they have accepted these TOS, so you can assume that they have obtained rights to do so. Next:(part of 6.C.) You also hereby grant each user of the Service a non-exclusive license to access your Content through the Service, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such Content as permitted through the functionality of the Service and under these Terms of Service.

So, the uploader has granted each user of the Service a license to reproduce, distribute, display and perform a video as permitted through the functionality of the Service. That's, obviously, embedding.

And to further enforce copyrights:(6.D.)You further agree that Content you submit to the Service will not contain third party copyrighted material, or material that is subject to other third party proprietary rights, unless you have permission from the rightful owner of the material or you are otherwise legally entitled to post the material and to grant YouTube all of the license rights granted herein.

Anyone can embed legally any YouTube video on their site that has the option to embed because they have been granted license to do so by the uploader, YouTube TOS states that. And the end user cannot bet held liable for any copyright infringements even if the video itself is illegal, as that's a breach of YouTube TOS and the person using the YouTube embed feature is not responsible for that.

Worst case scenario would be that CGS receives a take-down notice and has to take down the offending link without haste. See take-down notice

What this tells me is that YouTube has effectively covered their collective ass, which I already knew, and that the courts (so far) have held up this legal out. The main thing is it means people can post whatever YouTube links here they want with no fear of repercussion. Great, that’s settled.

So basically it comes down to a moral position. Because I would be highly surprised if any of those posts linked to above were posted on YouTube with the copyright holders’ permission. Perhaps they were, but I sincerely doubt it. It may very well be that the holders aren’t actively defending their copyrights on those particular works, but apathy or oversight on the part of the holders does not make the posting of those works legal.

And this leads to what I wanted to talk about yesterday. Unless you’re talking about a large corporation with the funds to have staff devoted to it (and I’m talking not just about videos, but music, writing, artwork, etc., as well), creators just don’t have the time to scour the Internet looking for illegal postings of their work. So the people who post such things, whether their motives are innocent or not, rarely get called out for their wrongdoing. And this has led to a general lack of concern for how this content is made and for the people who make it, which I for one find troubling.

Does anyone else here feel this way?
  • Options

Yes.
  • Options

Yes.
    Well, I knew you would, Chuck. Perhaps I should have asked, “Does anyone else here besides Chuck feel this way?” :P
  • Options
    edited March 2014

And this leads to what I wanted to talk about yesterday. Unless you’re talking about a large corporation with the funds to have staff devoted to it (and I’m talking not just about videos, but music, writing, artwork, etc., as well), creators just don’t have the time to scour the Internet looking for illegal postings of their work. So the people who post such things, whether their motives are innocent or not, rarely get called out for their wrongdoing. And this has led to a general lack of concern for how this content is made and for the people who make it, which I for one find troubling.

Seems like a matter of ideological conviction and temperament which I find perfectly acceptable. However, I don't think you're implying that anyone posting a link to a 35 year old Spider-Man tv movie is exactly civil disobedience. Also, it isn't like anyone is posting creator owned works by independent filmmakers. Most of these were tv movies as I recall.

I am trying to figure out who you are protecting here. Is it CGS or the creators of Spider-Man Strikes Back (1978)? If so, we could simply try to reach out to Charles Fries Productions to see if they're okay with their 35 year old film being available to view by a few comic book nerds for free via Youtube. And while it vaguely appears that Charles Fries Productions may actually have some new film production going on currently, they haven't actually produced anything in almost 30 years (1985) so they probably aren't that concerned.

Furthermore, by looking at IMDB, Ebay, and Amazon, the film doesn't appear to be available in any form other than some memorabilia in the form of old movie posters. Seems to me if embedding a Youtube link of a movie that is unavailable in any other medium isn't exactly tapping into anyone's income stream.

No one is trying to distribute illegal materials. This is a comic book enthusiast forum and someone has posted Youtube links to obscure 35+ year old movies that are no longer available to purchase elsewhere. The videos are not high quality and no one is instructing anyone how to download, burn copies, or monetize them. The original uploader takes the heat if any ever arises.

For most of these being linked here, I think it is safe to assume that no one is trying to harm the copyright owner and the videos are easily removed if a take down notification is ever issued. If the creator / owner follows standard procedure, it will be Youtube that takes the video down from their site and the link will be broken.
    An example of this is the Incredible Hulk movie link from earlier in this thread. It is no longer a viable link probably for that very reason. The Hulk TV film is currently available on Netflix and in DVD form.
    kiwijase said:

The Incredible Hulk pilot movie (1978)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuwxA03tFK8

You might be compelled to compare posting these links to sneaking into the new Captain America film without paying and recording it on your iPhone while I would compare it more to finding an old VHS recording of an ancient Marvel movie and inviting some friends over to watch it for fun. You could argue that either of those scenarios are illegal, and you may be win that debate, but neither is as harmless as posting a Youtube link to 70's tv movies in this forum. I suppose you could go directly to Youtube and flag every one of these movies instead of waiting on the creators to do it, but when someone posts a link on CGS to the next X-Men or Avengers movie, I'll be the first to flag it. I'm betting Youtube will do the job before we get to it.
  • Options

I am trying to figure out who you are protecting here. Is it CGS or the creators of Spider-Man Strikes Back (1978)?

I never had any concern that the CGS crew might get sued over these links. Like I said in my first post, the very worst they could expect would be a cease-and-desist. I'm not really trying to protect the producers of Spider-Man Strikes Back per se (though I’d bet Nicholas Hammond would appreciate a royalty check). But I can't argue for protecting my own copyrights while ignoring the copyrights of others.

Here’s a scenario I’ve seen play out several times in various forms: Someone sees an image they like online, they put it on a T-shirt and sell it, and they don't bother to ask the artist’s permission, or even bother to find out who the artist is. And it isn’t usually malicious, the guy just sees a drawing and thinks, “That’s awesome! I should put that on a shirt.” Because it’s on the Internet, he doesn’t think about where that image came from. Either that or he just doesn’t care.

Meanwhile, the artist can't afford to hire a lawyer, and even if he could, he knows he won't be able to get any money out of the guy, because the guy is just some random guy trying to make ends meet. All he can do is ask the guy to stop selling the shirt. If that doesn’t work, maybe he can shame the guy on the social media outlets. Maybe that garners enough pressure to get the guy to stop selling the T-shirt. And if the guy is truly sorry, maybe he gives the artist a few bucks. Meanwhile the artist has wasted a bunch of time on this guy that he needed to have spent working. The artist loses on both ends.

That’s the world we live in now, and part of the reason people think this way is because of the way YouTube and Reddit and Tumblr, etc., operate. And if I'm going to defend the rights of those artists, I should also respect the copyrights of the production companies who created the movies linked to above.

Seems to me if embedding a Youtube link of a movie that is unavailable in any other medium isn't exactly tapping into anyone's income stream.

No one is trying to distribute illegal materials. This is a comic book enthusiast forum and someone has posted Youtube links to obscure 35+ year old movies that are no longer available to purchase elsewhere. The videos are not high quality and no one is instructing anyone how to download, burn copies, or monetize them. The original uploader takes the heat if any ever arises.

For most of these being linked here, I think it is safe to assume that no one is trying to harm the copyright owner and the videos are easily removed if a take down notification is ever issued.

Just because it isn’t tapping into anyone’s income stream now doesn’t mean it won’t be in the future (and that goes for out-of-print books, music, etc.). There’s a Dr. Strange movie coming out from Marvel in a couple of years. Seems to me like that would be an ideal time to put out a cheap DVD release of the Dr. Strange TV movie. If people have already seen it for free on YouTube, they’re not as likely to go out and buy the DVD. Now, you can say that the production company should have had them take it down from YouTube, but why they should be forced to constantly monitor YouTube (and Tumblr and Reddit, etc.)? Why is the onus on the creator of the content?

You compared these posts to watching a VHS tape with your buddies. I compare them to driving five miles per hour over the speed limit. Pretty much everyone does it; I do it. Rarely is it going to hurt anyone. The cops won't pull you over for it; it's not worth their time. But it’s still illegal. Just because we don’t get pulled over, it doesn’t mean we aren’t breaking the law. And if we aren't paying attention, we might start creeping up to seven mph over the limit, then ten, all because we take that five mph for granted.

I just want people to pay attention and not take these things for granted.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Yes.

Just because corporations are amoral doesn't mean we have a free pass to act unethically when dealing with their property.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    So, I probably shouldn't record the new Cap movie on my iPhone and post it here?
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

So, I probably shouldn't record the new Cap movie on my iPhone and post it here?

If you do, you'd better ask Disney and Marvel first.

There’s a Dr. Strange movie coming out from Marvel in a couple of years. Seems to me like that would be an ideal time to put out a cheap DVD release of the Dr. Strange TV movie. If people have already seen it for free on YouTube, they’re not as likely to go out and buy the DVD. Now, you can say that the production company should have had them take it down from YouTube, but why they should be forced to constantly monitor YouTube (and Tumblr and Reddit, etc.)? Why is the onus on the creator of the content?

If you don't think Disney and Marvel are already monitoring Youtube, you're mistaken. But I will grant you that if anyone has already seen it for free on Youtube they aren't as likely to buy the DVD... because they will know it was a stinker. That's all. I appreciate you wanting to not be a hypocrite, that's commendable, but I won't be one either and pretend to be upset that the millions of dollars Disney and Marvel are already budgeting for legal fees aren't being spent well tracking down tv movies they have an opportunity to cash in on.

I can't drive 55. 60, yes, but not 55.
  • Options

If you don't think Disney and Marvel are already monitoring Youtube, you're mistaken. But I will grant you that if anyone has already seen it for free on Youtube they aren't as likely to buy the DVD... because they will know it was a stinker. That's all. I appreciate you wanting to not be a hypocrite, that's commendable, but I won't be one either and pretend to be upset that the millions of dollars Disney and Marvel are already budgeting for legal fees aren't being spent well tracking down tv movies they have an opportunity to cash in on.

I can't drive 55. 60, yes, but not 55.

I know very well that Disney and Warner Brothers and other multi-million dollar corporations monitor not just YouTube, but the Internet at large. But evidently smaller companies like Charles Fries Productions don't have the budget, staff, and time for that. And it's not just the production company that can get screwed, it’s the actors (assuming they have contracts that give them royalties, which they should) too.

And the freelancer who's on his own certainly doesn’t have the time to do that. Like I said, if someone hadn’t told me my documentaries had been posted on YouTube, who knows how long they would have been up there? They had been up for over three months, so obviously YouTube wasn’t going to be taking them down on their own.

My point is, while the system as it is now might be a pain for the corporations, it's nothing they can't handle. But for the smaller companies and individual freelancers, it can be a nightmare. And if they choose to deal with it, it takes away from the time and effort that they could be using to create more stuff for us to enjoy and them to make money on. And when people form the attitude that, “Hey, it's a multi-million dollar corporation. It’s no skin off their nose,” it can lead to a blanket attitude that anything they find on YouTube (or Facebook, etc.) is okay, and they neglect the fact that other people’s livelihoods are being affected as well.
  • Options
    I understand perfectly well everything you're saying, and I appreciate it and I won't disrespect you because of your convictions on this issue. All I am saying is that I find it harmless that a mid 70's tv movie that Youtube hasn't removed yet, that is comic book related, is online and a link was posted here for anyone else to see it. I didn't bother to watch it, I haven't the time. But if it had been this Morgan Freeman and Spider-Man clip, I might have, and I would have slept soundly that night.

Spoiler alert!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA_Hs9DkmOo