Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1462 Talkback - Spotlight on the Fantastic Four in the Silver Age, Part Two

Following a brief intermission, we reconvene to wrap up our extended examination of the Fantastic Four in the Silver Age, from the introduction of the Black Panther to the birth of Franklin Richards to the dissolution of the storied Lee/Kirby partnership in 1970. Also, a few words about the Human Torch feature in Strange Tales, and the 1967 Hanna-Barbera F.F. cartoon! (1:33:49)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Great episodes, guys! Very well done!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited February 2014
    Christmas in February?!?
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited February 2014
    A certain poll to vote in since it is FF related.
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=poll&id=218&view=results&msg=voted Thanks for the two parter this week guys.

Matthew
  • Options
    Listened to this with much interest; especially the behind-the-scenes stuff.
  • Options
    Loved it. Great stuff, guys ... except for that whole "Hey, we didn't include the CGS theme song for a second straight time" thingy.
  • Options
    Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    Both of these Silver Age spotlight episodes were great, gentlemen. Even though I'm a lifelong comic reader and a fan of the FF, I'll freely admit that I've read next to nothing of the FF's early years aside from brief reprints here and there. This is all unknown territory to me aside from a purely academic knowledge. I'm really going to need to actually experience this material at some point sooner rather than later.

And it's nice to hear hints on upcoming spotlight episodes, including Daredevil and (presumably) Black Panther. Hopefully, Thor will be included as well at some point. ;-)

Keep up the exceptional work gentlemen, and I eagerly anticipate eventually coming to Byrne's seminal run (my first long-term experience on the series).
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Another great episode, guys. One of my favorite stories from this run is one you touched on in passing, FF #s 84-87. Doom traps Reed, Sue, Ben, Johnny, and Crystal in a small Latverian village and strips them of their powers... I've read that at around this time Kirby was working on a comics adaptation of Patrick McGoohan's mindblowing TV series The Prisoner, but it never came to fruition. A lot of people think that this storyline was a way to recycle some of the ideas he never got to use in that book. There are certainly similarities!
  • Options
    I don't think that Kirby's attempt at The Prisoner was until the 70's, years after that FF story.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

I don't think that Kirby's attempt at The Prisoner was until the 70's, years after that FF story.

1976 to be precise.
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    Just drove 300 miles. These two spotlights made the time fly by.
    Thank you, guys.
    Great Episodes!
  • Options
    Excellent episode guys!

Hoping this is all leading towards a discussion on the Marvel Cosmic proper this year...

• Options
    WhirlwindWhirlwind Posts: 94
    These historical retrospectives are top notch. Good work, guys, keep it up.

(P.S. I'll be keeping an eye out for your Tales to Astonish retrospectives, if for nothing else, because it's in Ant/Giant-Man's history that guess-who first shows up. Heh.)
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    More great stuff! Thoroughly enjoyable and informative episode! Keep 'em comin'! I know nothing about the FF in the Bronze Age, so I'll be anticipating the next one quite a bit. And then... BYRNE.

One correction, though: I had never heard of the Lee/Kirby Silver Surfer OGN, so I looked it up. Turns out, it was reprinted during the '90s. See http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=57195
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Elsiebub said:

One correction, though: I had never heard of the Lee/Kirby Silver Surfer OGN, so I looked it up. Turns out, it was reprinted during the '90s. See http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=57195

Thanks for the link!

And also, thanks @Adam_Murdough‌ for the new episode in my podcast queue this morning. You guys are cranking out some great stuff this year. Keep it up! Looking forward to listening to this tonight, and looking forward to your future Bronze Age FF episode.

• Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Nice coverage of my initial FF reading: I bought FF#64 right off the spinner rack, then found a couple of price-stamped FF issues (60 and 63) in a mom-and-pop store a few weeks later. I was totally captivated by the sci-fi AND fantasy aspects (a flying guy on a surfboard? a dimension that can be accessed from the Baxter Building? A giant robot on an island the Thing found by throwing a dart at a map?). By the way, FF #73 was just a three-on-three cover Reed, Ben and Johnny vs. Thor, DD, and Spidey. From this issue I have a pretty much straight run of FF from 73 to 114. I felt the quality went down, but still interesting! /// Thanks for this episode guys! It was a nice walk down memory lane!
  • Options
    jpb13jpb13 Posts: 4
    Really enjoyed the episode. I'm very hit & miss with the FF, have the Byrne run in the two giant omnibuses, enjoyed Simonson's run as well as Hickman's but I can't say I follow it religiously but respect the hell out of what Lee & Kirby did (More Kirby then Lee in my opinion). Really enjoyed listening to the Silver Age podcasts, makes me want to get my essentials off the shelf and read them all straight through. Looking forward to the Copper Age through the Modern Age as well as the Daredevil podcasts.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    The Fantasic Four is my favorite comic of all time. I really appreciate these episodes...you guys did a wonderful job!

The first comic I remember having as a kid is FF #270. I've read most of the 80s and 2000s(skipped the 90s) and a bunch of Stan and Jack's run. My blind spot is the 70s and I'm really looking forward to hearing you guys talk about it.
  • Options
    DAMN YOU, CGS!!!

Everytime I hear one of your spotlights, I end up going out and buying an Omnibus or some other collected edition. LOL

Sincerely though, great episode. Absolutely loved both parts. I've never been a big FF fan or a big Jack Kirby fan (I like his art on some things but not on everything), but I never deny the crucial importance of either when it comes to Marvel and comics in general.

I have obtained the first omnibus edition and after hearing this episode I'm eager to crack into it and read those early adventures. I did order the 2nd omnibus that is out there. I am a big Marvel cosmic fan in recent years and knowing that the FF was the start of it all, I am excited to read these stories...heck, I may become an FF fan after I'm done. I do hope that Marvel continues the FF run in these omnibus editions so that we can have all of the Lee/Kirby run in this format. I love the big hardcover editions and think Marvel does a great job with with them.

I look forward to more spotlights, but I'm hoping the Daredevil one won't have the same impact and that I will just enjoy listening to the episode without feeling compelled to get the material in collected editions.

Thanks again....but I still blame you all. LOL
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I was listening to this at work today and I found it sad that my Randy Savage impersonation went over everybody's head when Pomp & Circumstance started playing.

Besides that, it was a great episode. The FF is the one Marvel title that I go out of my way to find single issues of. I'm about two dozen issues shy of having a complete run starting somewhere in 1975 through 1996 and I double dipped and have both the Essentials and Masterworks collections. Looking forward to the bronze and copper age episodes.