Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1466 Talkback - Off the Racks: New Warriors #1, One-Hit Wonder #1, and The Royals #1

New Warriors #1 from Marvel. One-Hit Wonder #1 from Image. The Royals: Masters of War #1 from DC/Vertigo. One unanimous BUY; one unanimous BORROW; and one unanimous PANTS. Which is which? Listen and find out! Then, stay tuned for mini-reviews of Dynamite's Turok: Dinosaur Hunter #1 and the first issue of the latest Fantastic Four series. (1:43:02)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    I agree with a lot of the comments about NEW WARRIORS #1, especially in regards to the behavior of Speedball and Justice. It seems that Marvel keeps reverting these two back to their earlier personalities, not allowing them to mature and develop in the same way that made characters like Nightwing and Wonder Girl/Troia so interesting. The writers have one personality stuck in their heads and despite any attempts to continue other writers' character development, they revert them to type. Speedball is the greater victim in this issue, while Justice seems to be allowed to retain at least some of his maturity even though his fashion sense continues to be degraded.

Seriously, Vance... that costume design is horrible. PLEASE return to the one based on Vance Astro's that Janet designed for you.

Aside from that, this series isn't one that will hold me monthly. Not even close. I'll grab the first trade out of curiosity, but I don't hold a lot of hope for its overall improvement.
  • Options
    This was my first ever experience with many of the New Warriors characters. It's a low end BORROW for me at this point. Willing to give it a whirl for a brief while though to see where it goes.

I liked Murd's position that one of the books was soooo bad, it wasn't just a PANTS it was a *ROYAL* PANTS. That's some serious pants, right there. In an odd twist, it almost makes me want to check it out. ALMOST, I said. (kinda like how you can't help but gawk at an accident on the side of the road).

The review of "Royals: Masters of War" on the other hand has definitely made me want to give it a read, but for your standard good/positive reasons, so that's a sight-unseen BUY for me.

"Muddle the Murd" was impressive. As for "Deceive the D" ... man, Jamie was having straight batting practice with all the softballs being thrown his way. Granted he still whiffed on a pitch or 2. LOL!
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    It's rare that I've actually read one of the off the racks.
    Here's my review of the Royals #1
    http://eamonn1961.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/life-during-wartime.html
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    edited March 2014
    Thanks. I can't get Kyle MacLachlan saying "Diane" out of my head.

I loved Royals. Best book I've read in a long time.
    Just a quick aside. Royals writer Rob Williams will be doing one of the new Doctor Who titles for Titan.
    The initial titles have caught my interest. I've already had my LCS reserve the first issues for me.
  • Options
    Enjoyed listening to this episode and took the guys advice and got my local to store a copy of The Royals for me. What really sold it for me was the guys mention of the price point of $2.99 an issue.
    I agree with their stance that for some comics $3.99 is just too much. New Warriors #1 being the obvious mention here. I don't give the comic lasting more than the first story arc (unfortunate as that is to write).
  • Options
    jpb13jpb13 Posts: 4
    Great episode, part of me wants to buy one hit wonder just to see how bad it is but I will probably save my money. Loved Royals: Master of War. Rob Williams did a great super hero book a decade ago, Cla$$war and this had the same feel to it. Wish he did more super hero books like this.

Hate to be a buzzkill but during Muddle the Murd the correct answer to the first Venom appearance is Amazing Spider Man 299. He was seen in shadow silhouette in 298 then the last page in 299 setting up the climactic 300 showdown putting Peter back into his classic costume.
  • Options
    Looking forward to listening to the episode. I only read New Warriors #1 of the ones selected (usually I do read more if not all of the issues you guys are reviewing). I do agree with the above comment that it's weird how Speedball and Justice were reverted to younger versions of themselves. It's like a reboot without calling it a reboot. It's weird also because Scarlet Spider was allowed to keep his mature current day persona and still make it work for the issue. I am fine with teh change in Justice, but Speedball I am at a loss as to why he is his bouncy go lucky self of old.

That being said, this issue is still a total buy for me. I enjoyed it a lot. It brought in all of the characters and gave us glimpses to the. It set up a lot of storylines for what is to come, and I assume these stories will all dovetail into the team coming together by the end of the arc. It was a lot of fun and the art was beautiful. I'm looking forward to more even with the inconsistencies to a character or two from the past who reverted. This is a New Warriors book I look forward to reading more of and who knows, maybe they will address some of those character changes in this title later on.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    LMAO...Every time I heard Bad Ass I kept thinking of the movie...

As for Marvel and their price point...I think ALL their books are going up to $3.99...it wasn't a coincidence that titles like Daredevil were relaunched...
    jpb13 said:

Great episode, part of me wants to buy one hit wonder just to see how bad it is but I will probably save my money. Loved Royals: Master of War. Rob Williams did a great super hero book a decade ago, Cla$$war and this had the same feel to it. Wish he did more super hero books like this.

Hate to be a buzzkill but during Muddle the Murd the correct answer to the first Venom appearance is Amazing Spider Man 299. He was seen in shadow silhouette in 298 then the last page in 299 setting up the climactic 300 showdown putting Peter back into his classic costume.

Does the cameo count as a first appearance?
  • Options
    jpb13jpb13 Posts: 4
    I have always thought of first appearance as when the character appeared, even if it is for one page.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I'm one of those readers who loves the original New Warriors series. I think because of that I'm willing to cut this new book a lot of slack. I admit that this wasn't a great first issue though. The art was off too...I read Red Robin and this just isn't at that level.
  • Options
    I think the reason that I enjoyed the New Warriors issue is for a few reasons that differ from the rest of the CGS guys (though maybe not all of them). I have been reading Nova and the Scarlet Spider series, so I was very invested in those characters. Then you add in Justice and Speedball, that keeps me invested. I enjoyed the characters having their little snippets.

I also don't mind the team not coming together right away in this first issue. Could it have been done? Sure. Probably. But with this team, unlike the Avengers and X-Men, I think they need to help introduce the characters individually so that you can be invested and understand them as characters before investing into them as a team. These are kinda unknowns for many people, so the snippets I felt gave us an idea of the personalities we're dealing with first. In the second issue I would definitely like to see them coming together...at least by the end of the issue, and I think that can be done.

I didn't like Bova getting her demise either, but as mentioned we don't know if that is the case. I also believe there is more to the High Evolutionary doing what he is doing. His cronies look very much like the entities in the X-Men series story that took place before Marvel Now, and the story started with that most recent Giant Size X-men issue. I believe they had ties to the High Evolutionary even in that story if memory serves me right. So due to that I also liked the issue because they were bringing back some "villains" from some recent Marvel history.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    jpb13 said:

I have always thought of first appearance as when the character appeared, even if it is for one page.

You would think wouldn't you? Wolverine's "first appearance" is really 180, but everyone says 181 is his first appearance (and commands top dollar). So I guess everyone is right.

• Options
    Have to say, I bought Royals: MOW #1 based on this podcast and enjoyed it. The want to get the rest of the series is there, but the funds are pretty low due to buying a LOT of other stuff. lol and frowny face. :( :)
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    I pretty much agreed with everyone else. I was excited to tead One-Hit Wonder because I too do not see enough Olivetti art, but wow was this one rough. I guess I didn't get how a hitman who used to be famous, could kill someone in front of ten other people, and no one knows about it? TMZ doesn't have his house staked out like they do every other celebrity? Lower than Pants for me.

New Warriors was decent, I didn't realize Kaine was even around, so it was neat to see a "mean Spider-Man" with a sidekick. I didn't hate it, but I wasn't blown out of my chair either.

The Royals book was outstanding. I just started watching Game of Thrones, and it reminds me a lot of that in a way, very family driven, but still has the action to back it up. Definitely going to get all of these.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Well, I only read New Warriors and yeah, it was just okay. I didn't read the other two, but I did read the new Fantastic Four. Uh, did they explain the red uniforms? Or was that in the previous series? Anyway, it was also just okay...
  • Options
    Yeah, I didn't care for the new Fantastic Four too much. They havenever been characters that I have read their title for very long, but every once in a while I will try it again. I figured this might be a good place to jump on, but it was just okay. I did pick up issue #2 and read it to give it a second chance to grab me, but that was just okay also. I have received the Omnibus editions of the old Lee/Kirby stuff (both volumes), so I am planning to start reading those and I have a feeling I will find those to be better than okay and will find out why people love this title so much...at least that's what I'm hoping will happen.