Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1468 Talkback - A Conversation with Brian Miller

Join us as we welcome back one of the very first comics professionals ever to make a guest appearance on CGS: colorist Brian Miller of Hi-Fi Color Design! Brian talks to us about the state of the comics-coloring art; the several series he's working on for DC Comics; his excitement for Free Comic Book Day; and his popular instructional guide to coloring, now back in circulation courtesy of Kickstarter! If you're an aspiring comics colorist, you could do worse than listen to what Brian has to say! (1:24:15)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Cool episode and I backed the Kickstarter. I've really only used photoshop for image manipulation and I think learning how to color would be fun.
  • Options
    I'm about 2/3 of the way through so far and it's just fascinating. I'd never heard of Brian or his company before, and knew nothing about the coloring industry/process, but what a great interview this is. I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for his work in the future.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I checked out a couple of his panels at ECCC, and I've had his book on coloring for a couple of years now; I learned quite a bit from it. I need to give this podcast a listen.
  • Options
    I'm about halfway through the episode, but really enjoying it. I like it when you guys bring someone on like a colorist or letterer, or someone that is outside of teh normal writer/penciller. It's great to get their perspective on the medium and to learn more of what they do. I loved the analogy of the colorists being like a special effects guy on a movie. I think that is a great way to explain it in this day and age.

I am really looking forward to Future's End and seeing what that is all about. It's fun hearing Brian being excited about it also. That's what you want to hear from a creator is how they are excited about what they are working on. If they are excited and having fun with it, then you know they are putting their best effort on it.

Looking forward to hearing the rest.
  • Options
    saxman69saxman69 Posts: 4
    I really enjoyed this episode a lot. I love to get into all the particulars of how comics are made, whether it is drawing, inking or coloring. I backed the Kickstarter and I am really looking forward to reading the book.

I do not have any aspirations of working in the comic book industry. I am just interested in learning more about an art form that I love. Books like this take me inside the process so I can better evaluate and appreciate what I see in every comic book I read.

I want to thank the team at CGS for doing interviews like this and sharing it with us through the podcast. Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    I backed the Kickstarter today and I'm really looking forward to getting this book. There's only 5 days left and I would love to see more of the stretch goal chapters to be added to the book, so if you haven't donated yet, you should, and spread the word.