Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

An Appreciation of CGS (The Podcast)

Was listening to the latest off the Rack episode and (having recently listened to a few other podcasts) was struck by all the things that you guys do so well (intentionally or not)... and I just wanted to call out some :-bd positive :-bd feedback for some of your practices...

1. Show opener. Thank you for saying the episode # and the title/content so I can remember if I've already heard it or not. Lots of podcasts out there start out with their theme music/sponsor and I'm 2 minutes into it (or 2 minute fast forward) before I realize I've already heard this ep.

2. Keeping the Sponsor interesting. Lots of podcasts have sponsors, and I dont fault you having them (lord knows someone needs to keep Pants in pants). But some people do theirs very "canned" and forced (you can tell they are straight reading). I know part of the sponsor deal is that its at the front (or at least its worth more at the front). So I appreciate that you make the sponsorship more conversational. Just this week you mentioned some DCBS specials, in another one you noted some "new" stuff on comicbookstuff.com. Anyway, it is a more natural "spot" and doesnt hurt my ears to listen to.

3. Structured but not to structured. You have a format, you have segments, you have certain episodes that occur monthly. But you keep them all loose enough to not feel like a formal structure you are working inside of, but tight enough that it doesnt just sound like some devolved back-table chatter thats hard to follow. I listen to podcasts that fall into both those camps, and I like them for other reasons, and can handle the uber and un-structuredness but in smaller doses. The Pseudo-structure of the CGS eps make it far more consumable on a daily basis!

I know a lot of success of a podcast comes down to personalities, and how people interact and get along (or dont get along!) but I wanted to give you guys a thumbs up on some (I think) conscious decisions you've made over the years as the show grows...

Anyone else have some kudos that you want to share so the guys know what's working so they *ameh* keep it up *ahem*

:-bd

Comments

• John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Agree with @Miraclemet =D>

...but I have to make a confession: most of the time I do a FWRD at the SPONSOR bit. The merch you praise is mostly not accessible for foreigners like me.

Other than that I'm full of :x
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Right on!

I agree 100% :)
  • mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited April 2012
    I agree w/ @Miraclemet 100%.

4. Previews Episodes & Promoting Indie Comics. I know the bulk of comic readers never dive into Previews at all but it serves a purpose. Especially when you start from the beginning Dark Horse, DC, Marvel, Image, IDW & the "true indies" so I don't have to flip back & forth. Also while the big two get the lion's share of the money, it is important to bring attention to the little guys & ladies that have something very unique to offer the comic readers from Essex County Trilogy to Mouseguard to Jeff Smith's Bone (Hey, I didn't read it until it was a CGS BOMC so it counts in my book). From indie darlings like Katie Cook, Josh Finney & Kat Rocha & Danielle Corsetto to the "charming" tales & truth telling no BS & no holds barred story time w/ "Uncle Sal".

5. Having female guests/creators/segments. From female creators in comics w/ interviews, female comic geeks like Lena & Amber Love w/ her segment or interview sharing their opinions on comics & geek culture.

6. Top 5 to discussions of the day From best writers, artists, cover artists even the impact of influence of creators in the industry that had a hand in shaping in the industry (see Episode 25B). From the influence of Diamond's "unofficial" Monopoly (wink, wink), the lateness of Civil War to the retooling of DC Comics to DC Entertainment.

Thanks for CGS every week for the last 7 years+ & going on strong.

Matthew
  • electric_mayhemelectric_mayhem Posts: 641
    edited April 2012
    Right on!

I agree 100% :)

same here.
  • edited April 2012
    @mguy1977 and @Miraclemet are right. Plus trivia is always aprediated. Let's all thank Murd for taking up that mantle
  • MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    @mguy1977 and @Miraclemet are right. Plus trivia is always aprediated. Let's all thank Murd for taking up that mantle
    Agreed, it is a fun little segment, that can get into some interesting/unusual corners of comicbookdom.
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I love listening to these guys in bulk.

And that sentence isn't dirty at all. Stop it.