Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

National Comics by DC

link here. wired.com/geekdad/2012/04/national-comics/

Looks like DC is doing a series of 10 one shots to hilight some of the lesser (but hopefully interesting) characters in the new DCnU.

First up should pique peoples interest: a 1 shot by Jeff Lemire with art by Cully Hamner about a a former police coroner now going by the name Eternity who can bring people back from the dead.

From the cover shot, and the pitches it looks like a Vertigo-y/Edgy take on some of the fringes of DC.

Might be worth a drop in...

Comments

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Like the idea. Will keep an eye on this.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    This sounds great. A new character every issue keeps things exciting.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    Fringe characters allow for writers and artists a little more freedom to spread their ideas out beyond the boundaries... really good writers can do it with flagships (like Morrison with Barman and/or Superman) but most seem to feel (or are) constrained to the boundaries of 60+ years of continuity...

Im crossing my fingers for some interesting stories...
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Bravo, DC. This is what the new DC Comics Presents should have been!
    What he said.

As for the idea behind Eternity, I think it's a really good one, and the fact that it's Lemire and Hamner means I'll definitely be picking up at least that one. That's the sort of revamp I like - taking an old concept that has gone unused for a while and putting more than just a new coat of paint on it, but an entirely new spin. Kid Eternity's been revived Vertigo-style before, of course, but I don't know how well that one ever really took, even with that Grant Morrison pedigree of the original mini-series. Forcing a new Captain Marvel Shazam on us seems just that, forced, because the old one worked well-enough, thanks, despite what the powers that be seemed to think. Hell, some say that about the whole New 52 project in general. But a character that's gone unused for so long, well, there's all sorts of potential there.
  • Options
    one shots on lesser known characters, (i.e. Its not Batman-related) Hmmm, interesting no doubt.

Madame X, Rose and Thorn, and Looker are the other three.

At least DC is using their IPs, instead of another "Event" where Heroes turn on each other..
  • Options
    Love the idea but the name doesn't grab me at the moment. Makes it sound like it is government sponsored or something.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    Love the idea but the name doesn't grab me at the moment. Makes it sound like it is government sponsored or something.

Yeah Im curious to see what the title means, especially since the only thing that uses the Nation/National name is DC Nation, which is their kids cartoon brand... and this does not sound like kids stuff!
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited April 2012
    Interesting. As Adam said and others agreed, this is definitely what DC Comics Presents should have been.

Also, by calling it National Comics (an earlier name for what would later become DC), it gives the impression that these are very old characters being given a new spin (not sure if that is the case). It would be like if Marvel launched a title called Timely Comics. You would expect that would feature very old characters.

EDIT- And looking at the solicit, it does say "classic characters", so it seems that maybe that is the case. I had never heard of Eternity, but maybe it is one from back in the National days.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Bravo, DC. This is what the new DC Comics Presents should have been!
    Agreed. I was hoping that as well. Looks like this is another DC book I could get behind. Looking forward to this.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Excellent!

I hope they are a bit more forgiving on month-to-month sales on this book as long as it has the occasional (financial) success.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I'm guessing the use of the "National Comics" title for this new series has more to do with trademark renewal/protection than anything else, though.
    Ding, ding. Winner gets the prize. Kind of a boring, non-descriptive title though, which explains why they haven’t used it before now. Personally I’d like to see them use Crack Comics again.

I wonder if any other Quality characters will show up. Maybe a Black Condor/Rags Morales reunion? He did a nice Lou Fine impression once upon a time. Or maybe the return of Quicksilver/Max Mercury—his strip actually ran in National Comics (drawn by Nick Cardy). I’m sure Nick would be up for drawing a cover.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I would definitely buy Crack Comics.
  • Options
    BrianBaerBrianBaer Posts: 80
    Buy it once and you're hooked!
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I'll be down for this.
  • Options
    Did that actually come out, Murd? I never saw it, and I ordered a copy through my store.
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    Did that actually come out, Murd? I never saw it, and I ordered a copy through my store.
    It came out. I received it from DCBS a few months ago. Time to have a "chat" with your LCS I think.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    First issue is free. Then they see who comes back. That's when they start charging.
  • Options
    It came out. I received it from DCBS a few months ago. Time to have a "chat" with your LCS I think.
    It's not the first time by any means, unfortunately. But I worked there for five years and I’m friends with the owner.

But more importantly, it means DC missed the boat on the title.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Kyle, you had your chance just a few months ago!
    I'll have to keep my open for that one (at a decent price - crack is supposed to be the cheap drug, isn't it?).