Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1473 Talkback - BOMC: Avengers Forever (#1-6)

The Avengers' 50th Anniversary year may be over, but the fun continues as CGS follows through on its plans to discuss, in some detail, the Avengers Forever maxiseries, a sprawling, eras-spanning, action- and exposition-packed celebration of Avengers history! Download this 'Book of the Month' episode, covering the first half of the maxiseries, and learn why Avengers Forever is, in a peculiarly literal sense, one of the greatest Avengers stories of 'all time'! (2:37:30)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Going to listen to this at work today, and I can't wait. I loved this trade. If I had time I'd re-read it (alas 3 kids under the age of 5 keeps me busy).
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Excellent news. I may have to have the trade in-hand while I listen to this one. I think it was a fantastic tale with top-notch artwork. Thanks guys.
  • Options
    Wow! A spotlight episode and BOTMC in the same week! Fantastic narrative of a great (but very dense) classic. Thanks guys.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Adam. Has Graphic Audio called you about a job yet?
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Woo! First BOMC I can actively take part in! Can't wait to find time to listen!
  • Options
    Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    edited April 2014
    It was a real treat to have this pop up. I've been anticipating this episode since you gentlemen announced it, and have actually been carting around my trade of AVENGERS FOREVER since the 30th (your announced recording date) in preparation to have it on-hand for the discussion as I listened.

The Busiek/Perez run of AVENGERS remains my absolute favorite of all, and this project occupies the same lofty position as that amazing run. I routinely read and re-read it, always noticing new things that I've missed in previous go-throughs. And as Chris and Adam have mentioned, not only is the story itself dense and packed with historical minutia but the art is equally heavy with visual treats. For example, in re-reading the story for this BOMC episode, I noticed for the first time that when we first see Immortus in his Limbo stronghold in issue 1, he has his feet propped up on a Dire Wraith! I've truthfully never even noticed that before.

I know these types of stories are daunting at times, especially when you all get ready to tackle them in an episode, but I absolutely love hearing you do so. The nice, long discussion helps make my work day go along that much more pleasantly and quickly.

I'll be eagerly anticipating the next six issues when you rest up and decide to take them on.

EDIT: The one part of this story that I'm a little surprised Busiek didn't at least touch on in passing was the fact that the original Scarlet Centurion, foe to the Squadron Supreme, is supposedly another version of Kang. I know this wasn't exactly crucial to this story as a whole, but he did such an astonishing job lining everything else about the life of Rama-Tut/Kang/Immortus that it seems an interesting, if minor, omission.
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    edited April 2014
    Made it 3 and 1/2 issues before I gave up. It reads like it's from 1968, not 1998. Unnecessary caption boxes, hokey nicknames like "Waspey", and dialog making no effort to hide it being complete exposition. I suppose this is fun for continuity enthusiast like Murd, but where's the human component to this story? If these are just versions of our favorite Marvel characters plucked throughout time, what investment do we have on their sucess or survival? Also, it's a crime Pacheco's art isn't allowed to breathe under the weight of Buseik's words. Cramped is the word that comes to mind.
  • Options
    love to going to class w/the Prof and the CGS gang..
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited April 2014
    I reread this a few years ago and still loved it. Easily my favorite Avengers story ever.

Several comments come to mind:

-Carlos Pacheco's art has never looked better. Oh if only he could have frozen his style right here. You guys asked what he'd been doing lately. Well, he did a chunk of Age of Ultron (mentioned elsewhere in this episode), did he not? In recent years I've found his style to be relatively flat and lifeless and forgettable. The last thing he did that impressed me was an Ultimate Thor mini-series from about four years ago, with Jonathan Hickman writing -- very much worth checking out. But all throughout the '90s I think his art was great and dynamic and building steam, culminating in the masterpiece-quality work of Avengers Forever. He's an artist who will always be on my radar because of what he did here.

-It is wordy, but I find that Busiek's writing, text and dialogue, is almost always charming and worthwhile. Yeah, there is a recap/exposition page in every issue... but you can always just skim over that stuff. I don't have a problem with it. (Episode idea: Sometime I'd love for you guys to debate the pros and cons of wordy comic books, and reflect on the fact that, decades ago, twelve-year-old versions of us used to read these things without any problem. What's changed? Is it just that adults don't have as much free time?)

-The Nixon episode here is especially interesting (and maybe ironic?) because Nixon first came to national attention when investigating an alleged Communist in the government. Though the man (Alger Hiss) always denied it, he was eventually convicted of spying, and documents showed that most of the Truman State Department knew he was a Communist. Nixon fought like hell to get the conviction (and make a name for himself in the process), and in this case he was probably right. Somehow I think there's a parallel between the climates of fear and paranoia and disbelief that arise whenever accusations are made ("He's a communist!" "No he's not!" "They're ALL communists!" "NONE of them could possibly be!" "They're all ALIENS!" "No they're not!" "THIS ONE is!") and the rare but important cases when unlikely allegations prove true.

Anyway, great episode from start to finish, guys. I'm eagerly awaiting the follow up.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    A friend handed me this series when I got back into comics around 2001. I just could not get into it at the time. I think there was just too much I didn't know about the MU then to really grasp what Busiek was trying to do. I'm currently reading the issues again(I'm on #5) and I'm looking forward to giving this a listen.
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    edited April 2014
    @Adam_Murdough‌: I can't place the exact issue, I think it was issue 22, but Genis did indeed get transported out of time to The Destiny War during the 1999 Captain Marvel series. It was right after Rick was prematurely aged and lost an arm while fighting Death. One minute Genis was standing there, the next he wasn't.

If memory serves, it was explained that Genis was transported to The Destiny War while on the Kree homeworld, looking for a way to reverse Rick's aged state. This was after Genis got to experience his own future a few issue beforehand. When he blinks out, Genis tries to change Rick's fate to try and make both of their lives better. Genis blinked back almost immediately after, unable to change that which had already been written in time, and the issue continues just about exactly where it left off.
  • Options
    NKQNKQ Posts: 24
    This episode is why I listen to CGS. There is so much crap out there, I need a bit of guidance. Good stories will stand the test of time and even if continuity is broken, a good story is a good story.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    Just started listening...
    Elsiebub said:

I reread this a few years ago and still loved it. Easily my favorite Avengers story ever.

-Carlos Pacheco's art has never looked better. Oh if only he could have frozen his style right here. You guys asked what he'd been doing lately. Well, he did a chunk of Age of Ultron (mentioned elsewhere in this episode), did he not? In recent years I've found his style to be relatively flat and lifeless and forgettable. The last thing he did that impressed me was an Ultimate Thor mini-series from about four years ago, with Jonathan Hickman writing -- very much worth checking out. But all throughout the '90s I think his art was great and dynamic and building steam, culminating in the masterpiece-quality work of Avengers Forever. He's an artist who will always be on my radar because of what he did here...

Anyway, great episode from start to finish, guys. I'm eagerly awaiting the follow up.

Completely agree, Pacheco's AoU left me wanting...I loved his X-Men stuff back in the day.

@Adam_Murdough‌: I can't place the exact issue, I think it was issue 22, but Genis did indeed get transported out of time to The Destiny War during the 1999 Captain Marvel series. It was right after Rick was prematurely aged and lost an arm while fighting Death. One minute Genis was standing there, the next he wasn't.

If memory serves, it was explained that Genis was transported to The Destiny War while on the Kree homeworld, looking for a way to reverse Rick's aged state. This was after Genis got to experience his own future a few issue beforehand. When he blinks out, Genis tries to change Rick's fate to try and make both of their lives better. Genis blinked back almost immediately after, unable to change that which had already been written in time, and the issue continues just about exactly where it left off.

I'm about 6-10 issues short of collecting both of Peter David's runs. (I've been $1 binning it). I hope it stands up because I'm jumping into it blind.

• Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    Here is the black and white version of Quitely's cover to Avengers Forever #4. Very well done.

• Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Haven't listened to this yet, until now. Before I listen, I will say that I have the 1st seven issues of Avengers Forever and I liked them very much. Don't know why I didn't get the next 5. I think they must've come out when I was moving back and forth between the USA and Japan or something. I'll have to remedy that situation soon. (Time for some Lonestar, Midtown, E-bay searching, I guess!) // Oh, yeah, I do remember how hard it was to get through in some ways, but like the Dr. and Shane, I do like the artwork. I'm guessing it couldn't have been done in old "Marvel Style" because there was so much back history denotations to put in. I'm sure Busiek more or less dictated what Pacheco could draw or at least put limits on him (reigned him in?). Love the Murd Kang voice!// Good job, Murd on NOT being muddled! //Whoa, Jamie almost got that "motorcycle question!" And he's not deceived!// Oh, I wanna hear an episode of Shakedown the Shane! // Nice summaries, Murd and I enjoyed the whole 2-plus hours! Now, I don't have to re-read the first 6 issues and just get the last 5.