Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1476 Talkback - Off the Racks: Magnus Robot Fighter #1, Moon Knight #1, and Silver Surfer #1

Moon madness, macrocosmic misadventure, and mechanical men abound in our monthly sampler of recent-release reviews (with SPOILERS!). But first, a special announcement from an assembled throng of Geeks, concerning the health and welfare of one of our own.... (1:58:02)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    My heart sank when I heard the news about Jamie. I'm glad to know he is surrounded by a great group of friends and family. My thoughts and prayers are with Jamie and all of you who are so close to him.

• Options
    BonobilBonobil Posts: 2
    Thanks for the update on Mr. D. It was great hearing all of those familiar voices during the intro. I am sending my best to the whole CGS family.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Stay strong Jamie D. You are missed.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Listening now. @JamieD‌, my thoughts and prayers are going out to you, stay strong and know that we are all with you
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    All the best Jaime. Hope to have you back on the show soon.
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    We're with you, @JamieD‌. Through and through.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Keep up the good fight @JamieD‌
  • Options
    So sorry to hear this. Thoughts and prayers are with you all for strength during this time.
  • Options
    Wow. So sorry to hear this.
  • Options
    Praying for you Jamie. Also praying for his family, his friends (the Geeks and non-geeks alike), and his doctors.
  • Options
    TrustyMutsiTrustyMutsi Posts: 161
    Praying for you Jamie. Pimp slap that cancer.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    PRAYING FOR JAMIE!

Why is he being moved to a hospice?
  • Options
    X_DaneX_Dane Posts: 8
    Stay strong Jamie, hope to have you back soon!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    As for Jamie's current status, I hope everyone can get onboard Sean Whelan's Audio Rally for Jamie D - an awesome idea: thecomicforums.com/discussion/2831/jamie-d-audio-rally

A real treat to hear Chris Eberle and @Pants on this episode, along with much of the CGS alumni in the beginning portion of the show to discuss Jamie's battle. I wish such a reunion would take place under happier circumstances (such as the recent TRIVIA: Episode 1449)

And as for this episode proper, it contained excellent reviews from everyone involved. I particularly enjoyed the Silver Surfer review and agree with most of the general assessments and consensus. This issue, and my love for all-things Marvel Cosmic makes me want to hear a Silver Surfer Spotlight episode sometime. Is it in the stars?

While I'm not usually a big fan of Allred's artwork (though not as vehemently against it as @Brydeemer), I was certainly a fan of Kirby, Starlin, and even Ron Lim's work on the "Sentinel of the Spaceways". I like this character a lot. And with Allred paying homage to Kirby and being a fan of Dan Slott (especially from his She-Hulk run) made this new take on Norin Radd a no-brainer for me. Top shelf, "unsophisticated" fun - I give it a strong buy.

excellent commentary by Murd - had no idea Dan Slott wrote Ren & Stimpy either!

I also strongly endorse the Moon Knight, but did I hear @Adam_Murdough say it is a six issue limited series near the opening of this episode? I hope that's not the case. Maybe he was mentioning the previous limited series, better forgotten. This is probably the best interpretation since he first came out as a werewolf hunter :)

This was a great one and done issue, and I hope there are many more. Thank-you Warren Ellis!

Still have not read Dynamite's Magnus: Robot Fighter #1 yet. It is on top of my "to-read" pile, but I've only flipped through it once, quickly. That brief perusal showed off some great artwork, so hopefully I'll enjoy it as much as the geeks did. I noticed @Pants referred to it as a Valiant title near the beginning of this episode. He's certainly not in the minority as many people apparently have made the same mistake, including many comic shops. There is a chance many missed ordering it when they didn't see it in Valiant's catalog or in the Previews or DCBS Valiant sections. That could increase its back-issue value if this title does well, which I would like to see it last for Dynamite's sake. They're pushing some of Gold Key's coolest characters now with Solar: Man of the Atom, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, and Magnus: Robot Fighter, so kudos to them. I hope the stories are more memorable than Valiant's takes were, and I hope it's a fun ride.

Much thanks to Murd for strong-arming Pants to give the CGS faithful a "king-size" helping of geek speak this week. And again, let's all keep lifting @JamieD up in our prayers - peace and healing.
  • Options
    Keeping positive thoughts sent your way, Jamie.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Moon Knight #1 - There isn't anything I can say that wasn't already said on the show. I really liked the first issue but can't say the same for the second. To little dialog for me.

Silver Surfer #1 - I wanted to like this but the art and the coloring wouldn't let me. Normally, I do like the Allreds, but not this. Maybe I'm too atttched to or spoiled by the Surfer art that's come before this. The Allred's just don't fit here for me.

I still need to read Magnus #1.
  • Options
    Sending positive vibes your way, Jamie!!
  • Options
    HellionHellion Posts: 8
    Hey Jamie — thinking of you and sending prayers to put you on a quick road to recovery.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    My very best wishes to Jamie. Tons of people from around the world are pulling for you, big guy.

Also, it was great to hear Pants on the mic again, and like others have said it's just a shame that the ensemble couldn't've been for a happier moment.

Moon Knight and Silver Surfer -- AARGH. I was putting off trying these series, because I already subscribe to so many. But I'm going to have to at least check these out now. As I feared, they sound great.
  • Options
    SamirDaveSamirDave Posts: 21
    Shocked to hear about Jamie, my heart goes out to you and your family during this time, but I know you have the strength to fight this and beat it. Get well soon!

When I first heard Pants announce the episode, I thought it was great that he was making a visit back, but the circumstances around it were heartbreaking after hearing about Jamie.

It was hard to focus on the rest of the episode, but have to say that I have read all three of the first issues discussed.

Moon Knight was surprisingly different, looks like Warren Ellis is following is Planetary model in coming p with one and done stories that tie in subtly tie in to a larger narrative. The second issue is also quite good (but sparse) and different, and I like the updated Moon Knight uniform. The art by Shelvey is good, falls into the David Aja minimalist style that works quite well in Hawkeye.

Magnus - I was a fan from back in the Valiant days, and I really enjoyed the first issue. It was a nice and different take on the character. Don't know how well it sold though, and am worried that people may be overlooking this title. It's certainly worth a look. So far, I am enjoying the other Gold Key character books as well (Turok and Solar). Will get them for a few more months at least to see how the first story arcs go.

Silver Surfer - What can I say about this book, but that it's just cool. Slott's a great and under rated writer, and it's nice to see him branch out from Spider-Man a bit. Allred of course is a legend, and the two together create a unique take on the Silver Surfer, who I feel is a hard character to sustain interest in over the long term.

Again....get well soon Jamie!

Samir

• Options
    Mustering up all the psychic energy at my disposal to send positive vibes to Jamie. Be strong, big guy.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    It's great to hear that Jamie is getting visits and messages from the whole CGS family.
    I hope in the hospice he is getting cute nurses, some pretty good drugs, and whatever tasty food and drink he can manage (diet be damned).
    We're all thinking of you and your family, Jamie.

And kudos to Dr Norge for his perfect podcasts for Jamie idea
  • Options
    FlagwaverFlagwaver Posts: 140
    Just listened to the episode today. Thoughts and prayers going out to Jamie. Kick this cancer in the nuts!
  • Options
    may god be with Jamie and all the CGS crew.

• Options
    Sending out positive thoughts and prayers for Jamie D!!
    Thanks for the episode and update guys, thanks to Pants for joining.
  • Options
    Really sorry to hear about Jamie. Fight Jamie, Fight!!!

(man, kinda hard to make the switch to talking about freaking comics now ...)

*sigh*
    Okay, as for Moon Knight - I found the first issue and the rest that have come out since, to be very well written books. However, each issue to me seems more like a story Ellis had in the drawer and he decided to put Moon Knight in it. This title doesn't seem or feel like a Moon Knight comic to me. You could easily put any Marvel character into these issues and it would work out the same. Now true, the first issue you would have to tweek it a little more than the next, but that could be easily done.

Could issue one have been a Punisher comic? You bet! And how about issue #2? Even more non-descript Moon Knight'ish. You could put countless characters in that story and get the same.

These issues just don't feel like Moon Knight. Good stories, but ...
  • Options
    SamirDaveSamirDave Posts: 21
    Hi ptsteelers.....I know what you mean.....hearing about Jamie comics seem kind of trivial.....

I see your point about Moon Knight and being able to put any character into it. So far we haven't seen any of the supporting cast or even if there is a supporting cast. The stories are well written, and I am enjoying them, but Moon Knight the character is an enigma....perhaps the book is a slow burn and more will be revealed in time.....

I still have nostalgic memories of the Fist of Khonshu series, though it didn't last long. Not the best, but I enjoyed reading them as a kid.....

Warm regards,
    Samir
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    First and foremost... Get well soon Jamie, keep fighting.

Secondly, shame about the circumstances, but so nice to hear all the old guard again.

Lastly, @Adam_Murdough‌ I too have read some of Bodie Troll. First caught it in last years FCBD from Red 5. It's a great all ages comic from a great company. I first got into Red 5 with Atomic Robo, but along with books like We Kill Monsters and Neozoic they're just a really good all ages company. Much in the same vain as Action Labs. This is the first from Red 5 I'd happily give my little niece when she hits 4/5. The others are more boy centric. Was really glad to hear one of the geeks also liked this book!