Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Comic Book Combat, Fight #4: Captain Marvel vs. Captain Marvel

Ok, this one is kind of a no-brainer, at least in the "who fights who?" question. You have the ORIGINAL Captain Marvel vs. Marvel's "original" Captain Marvel. Now, we all know the story, or should if you're a student of comic book history, of the trials and travails of Captain Marvel. Published by Fawcett Comics in 1940, Captain Marvel was the story of Billy Batson, a young boy, chosen by the wizard SHAZAM to be his champion. SHAZAM is an acronym for the gods and heroes whose powers and abilities Billy would use in his fight against evil: Solomon's wisdom, Hercules' strength, Atlas' stamina, Zeus' power, Achilles' courage, Mercury's speed; S.H.A.Z.A.M. Whenever Billy spoke the name of the wizard aloud, he was struck by a magical bolt of lightning and became his ideal champion, Captain Marvel.

When Captain Marvel was first published, comparisons to National Periodicals' (the then name of DC Comics) Superman, published two years before, were unmistakable. So much so, that National sued Fawcett for copyright infringement. In the 1950s, Fawcett ceased publication of the entire Captain Marvel line of books, due, in part, to the suit.
After more than a decade in limbo, Marvel pounced on the copyright in the late 60s, creating their own interpretation of Captain Marvel. Marvel's Marvel, Captain Mar-Vell, was a captain in the militia of the alien Kree Imiprium, initially sent to observe the planet Earth but later became a stalwart defender of Earth and its people.
Mar-Vell was given superpowers some time later, as well as cosmic weapons called Nega Bands. I forget if the Nega Bands enhance powers he already had or if they gave him most of the powers he has, but I know that they allow him to fly unprotected in outer space. Above and beyond that, he has strength, speed and agility, as well as Cosmic Awareness.
Now, cosmic awareness is one of those ambiguous things that never really made any sense to me, so I quote from Wikipedia: "Once he is named the "Protector of the Universe" by Eon, Mar-Vell gains "cosmic awareness," which (among other things) allows him to detect threats and perceive changes in the universe as long as they are important to him for some reason". So, there. Cosmic awareness.
One other thing Mar-Vell's Nega Bands allows him to do is exchange physical places with his "sidekick" Rick Jones. This ability will not be a factor in this matchup, but I thought I'd throw it in anyway...

Now, on to the battle...

Both Captains Marvel are incredibly strong, agile & tough. The only advantage I see Mar-Vell has over Billy is his energy projection. If Billy can find a way to block, blunt, or otherwise negate this, I think he'll stand a chance. I don't really see Mar-Vell's cosmic awareness as a significant advantage because of Billy's Wisdom of Solomon. Both abilities are similar in design & application, although Mar-Vell would have the advantage there because his knowledge base would be more broad.
Billy's magical lightning isn't really a weapon he can wield, at least in any long-range offense. He can't project it like Mar-Vell can his own energy. He simply calls it to him and it only strikes on or within a foot or 2 of his specific location. The only open question would be how would the lightning affect or be affected by the Nega Bands?
Initially I was gonna give this fight to Mar-Vell, due to his better long-range capability. Looking into it further, I'd give a VERY narrow edge to Billy. As I've stated above, if Billy can negate or avoid Mar-Vell's energy blasts and bring the fight in close, I think he could beat Mar-Vell into submission. Billy's Captain Marvel is a Superman-level powerhouse. If he can land a few good blows, he could take Mar-Vell down and then call down his lightning as a coup de gras...
So, in the battle of the Captains Marvel, it's the Big Red Cheese in a squeaker...

Comments