Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Comic subscriptions for like $1.15-1.35 per issue

I've mentioned this on the forums before, because I've been purchasing most of my Marvel and DC comics this way for a year now, and BleedingCool did an article on it the other day:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/12/if-youre-going-to-get-65-off-comic-subscriptions-do-it-now/

You take advantage of magazines.com's already discounted offer by going through Ebates, which gives you 'cash back' deposited into your Paypal account a few months later. The normal 'cash back' rate is 26%, but half the time it's 40%, and this whole week it's been 45%. BleedingCool assumed the offer ended on Monday, but it's still up as of Friday morning. If anyone's interested, I'd go for it now... but on the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if the offer lasted through Sunday.

You just get standard USPS subscriptions. So if you only want NM copies, you probably shouldn't do this. I live in the northeast, and for me the comics are shipped from only one state away, so they usually arrive in a condition that's not bad at all and perfectly acceptable for me. And they get to me about a week after they're released in shops, sometimes a bit sooner, sometimes a bit later. The DC subscriptions tend to arrive quicker; a few times I've got them on the Tuesday before release. Your experience may vary based on where you live in the country, i.e. how long the comics stay in the mailing system.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it to you guys.

Again, you have to sign up at Ebates first and go through the magazines.com portal there. I think there are other ways to get your 'cash back' payment, maybe even by check, but I just link it all in to my Paypal account and it's worked beautifully for me for a year now. I've done like 25 subscriptions/renewals this way so far.

Comments

• bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Are they mailed in a box or cardboard or protected in any way?
  • ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    If you ever subscribe to DC or Marvel directly in the '90s, they're mailed the exact same way now. They're mailed in form-fitted plastic bags. Marvel uses a backing mailer that's nearly as thick as a standard board (that you'd bag-n-board with). DC uses a flimsy piece of cardboard that offers almost no protection. But I still receive MOST of my DC issues in VF or NM condition. Your results my vary. I believe Marvel allows you two "do-overs" per 12-issue subscription, where if you get an issue that's extremely damaged, or if you never get an issue they sent you, you can request they send you another one. I've only had to use that once in a year, in which I've received over 100 issues from them.

By the way, if you want to sign up to Ebates and do so through this link, I think we both get $5 back or something. I don't know; I've never done the refer-a-friend thing. Don't know how or if it actually works, but here it is:

http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=N6VadqXjm6cZ3xS6pS8efQ==

PS. Going away for the weekend so I won't be able to check this thread again till Sunday night. Happy subscribing to anyone who wants it.