Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1479 Talkback - Previews

The podcast may change, but Previews remains the same. We go through the May catalog for items shipping to stores starting in July. (1:25:26)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited May 2014
    In response to @ShaneKelly's question about the Teen Titans cover:

Anatomy of a Bad Cover by Janelle Asselin which led to this.

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Great post, Bralinator. Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Jason Aaron has said the tie-ins to Original Sinare are only tie-ins in the respect that secrets, lies and unltold truths are being discovered, not having much or any impact at all on the main story. You shouldn't have to read any of the tie-ins unless you want to

I do question why they numbered Tenth Realm as Original Sin #5.1 through #5.5, when it doesn't have anything at all to do with the main story, but it is the only tie-in I'm getting outside whatever is part of my normal pull list.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Not a lot new for me this month except for Rocket Raccoon and Grayson..both books I was looking forward to anyways so I'm glad they're picks of the month selections.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited May 2014
    If Murd loves the idea of Orb being in Original Sin, might I refer him to all of Jason Aaron's other Marvel work. Orb is to Aaron as The Circus of Crime's Clown was to Joe Casey. As well as Aaron's Ghost Rider run, he was in his Astonishing Wolverine/Spider-Man mini and his Hulk.

SPYRAL first appeared in Batman Incorporated and are even more morally dubious than SHIELD. But Dick Grayson won't be first member of the extended Batfamily to be a member.
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    @ShaneKelly‌: There is indeed an artbook for Book 1 of Legend of Korra. It came out in June of 2013 and features a whole bunch of behind the scenes material for the animated series. If you haven't checked out the show I would give it a go, as it is a pretty darn good next generation of Avatar: the Last Airbender
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    They talked about The Shadow Hero on NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour podcast a little while back. I think the name stems from the fact that although the Green Turtle is accepted as being the first superhero of Asian descent, he was not allowed to be depicted as such by the publisher (because the 1940s, see), so the artist usually depicted the character with his back to the audience or with something obstructing his face (like his arm in mid-punch) to get around it, or else just his shadow. So the title is very fitting, @Adam_Murdough‌, as the Green Turtle truly was a shadow hero!
  • Options
    BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    DC Comics can't get up in the morning without creating at least one new secret, shadowy organization. SPYRAL, NOWHERE, SHADE, ARGUS, CHECKMATE… enough already, DC. Or, if you'd understand it better this way: E.N.O.U.G.H.! lol

Also, regarding Harvey Pekar's _Not the Israel My Parents Promised Me_, I don't believe Pekar actually went to Israel; I think the ogn chronicles his discussions and ruminations about the state of Israel from childhood to adulthood, and how his perceptions have changed based upon that.

Shane's eternal love for Star Trek brightens my soul.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I posted this in another thread, but if anyone is on the fence about P. Craig Russell's adaptation of Gaimen's novel, The Graveyard Book, here's PCR with a quick 11 min. look in unboxing the book.

http://youtu.be/54Qhhji-Qdw
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    Nice to have Pants back. Good job, guys.
  • Options
    Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    Your "Off the Rack" pick wasn't RAGNARÖK #1!? HERESY!! :D
  • Options
    Loved the ep guys! Too many books I wanna buy.. ack!
  • Options
    Royal_LanternRoyal_Lantern Posts: 291
    Great episode, guys. Much like mentioned above, I feel like I might as well have my DCBS order opened while listening because I always end up adding something.

To clear up the Tom King on Grayson confusion, he is co-plotting with Tim Seeley on issues 1 & 2, but Tim is writing those issues. Then on issue #3 Tom is writing it and Tim is co-plotting. So Tom King is still involved with the first issues, but he just doesn't get writing credit until issue #3. From what he said, it sounds like that is how the series will go. They will always be working together, but they will take turns on the actual writing side of it.

I heard Tom King mention this on a couple podcasts that I listen to (just so you know that the source of this came right from him).
  • Options
    I am very excited for all of the Guardians of the Galaxy love with Rocket and Starlord having their own titles. I had to order that David Peterson cover for Rocket after hearing the episode. It looks too good not to.

I am pumped for Spider-Man 2099!! He is one of my favorite characters so I'm thrilled to see him get his own title again.
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    edited May 2014
    I really want to know if Murd picks up those Robert Crumb comics. I would be really interested in hearing what he thought of them.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Thanks for this episode! Not only for the 3 (Grayson, Rocket Raccoon, and Tuki) off the rack picks of the month (which are all intriguing), but also for Murd mentioning The Devilers. That book is right up my alley! I might also get Magnus #0! In addition, I liked the back-and-forth between Murd and Shane and the comments about what Shane's kids like. And Pants not getting ANY DC? Ohmigod! For me this month it looks like I'm back to half-and-half (approximately 15 DC titles and 15 Marvels on my current list) and a few independents sprinkled in. I've been trying to cut down but...I can't seem to get below 35 titles...yet.
  • Options
    I didn't want to get any of the tie-ins to Original Sin, but dammit....

• Options
    Love the Black Knight. Looking forward to that tie-in.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited May 2014
    I broke down and added the Spider-Man Mego Re-issue to my order. I will have to resist opening it when it comes so I can pay for my kids' college in 20 years. ;) The most I've ever spent on a toy, but he's my favorite character and this is such an iconic toy.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited May 2014
    So all the future's end books have their own DCBS micro site...never saw it..glad DCBS emailed me to let me know. DC's previews will look weird when the only thing solicited will be Vertigo, kids books, and collections.