Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1481 Talkback - Comic Talk with Tom King

Our favorite intelligence man, Tom King, stops by to discuss his role as co-writer of the upcoming DC series Grayson (as in 'Dick'), and then sticks around to shoot the breeze with us about everything from DC's 3-D variant 'Futures End' one-shots to Pants' recent trip to SpringCon in Minnesota. Includes a group review of 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' that does whatever a SPOILER can! (2:02:36)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    An excellent episode gentlemen. It sounds like Tom is having an absolute blast on his GRAYSON gig. And the introduction of Helena Bertinelli should be interesting, especially since she was name-dropped in the first (?) issue of WORLDS' FINEST by Helena Wayne.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited May 2014
    Grayson sounds like a fun book. Tom's involvement is what piqued my interest in the book but this episode really sold me on it.

During SpringCon @Pants was his friend Chris' booth babe. Seriously though, both Pants and Chris were very nice and I'll be stopping by Chris' table again in the future...maybe he'll have some Infinity Inc next time! In other news SpringCon is no more! Yup, that was the last SpringCon ever. Actually it's just being renamed the MSP Comic Con next year..so all is good.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Good episode. Had never heard Tom King before. The guy is very funny.

And congrats to Pants on dropping 8 lbs ... keep it up!
  • Options
    I so wish to have made it to SpringCon this year.. alas, it was not to be. There is always this fall.... I hope.. :(
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Excellent Episode!

Murd, I agree with you, and Bryan, when it comes to Godzilla type monster movies. Just fight. This rule should also have applied to the Aliens vs. Predator franchise. Why are they're humans in those movies. Just get the two species together and have a Battle Royal.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    I love Peter on the show. Pants. Murd. Shane. Chris. Dani. Tom. All in all a great episode!
  • Options
    I named my son Grayson so this book better be fucking good.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Nice to hear the Rios some more! As for Tom King: I've already pre-ordered Grayson, so there you go Chris E. And you'd better get to it Pants! Well, I took the bait and ordered the 3-D variants...but only of the 9 titles I usually buy. Hmmm...it's strange I suppose, but as a reader of Spidey since issue #52 (1967), I didn't feel THAT negative about The Amazing Spider-Man 2 movie at all. Even though I agree with the points that were made about villain intros, things going too fast, too many villains and particularly about Gwen...I was totally entertained! Maybe like Shane's kids I just wasn't in the mood to take it so seriously. I also felt that maybe after seeing Cap 2 just the week before, I wanted a looser styled movie. Alright, I'll probably see the X-Men: DofFP this weekend!
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    @Peter‌ What was that magazine you mentioned regarding Swamp Thing? I missed that I previews, but want to make sure I update my order to include it?

Great episode as usual guys. Tom you sold me with your Grayson pitch.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    luke52 said:

@Peter‌ What was that magazine you mentioned regarding Swamp Thing? I missed that I previews, but want to make sure I update my order to include it?

Great episode as usual guys. Tom you sold me with your Grayson pitch.

Comic Book Creator #6. It's a double-sized issue. And thanks, @Peter, for the outstanding rant.
  • Options
    Great episode. Loved hearing a large group together for an episode. I have heard Tom on other podcasts and met him at Baltimore last year (where I picked up my copy of A Once Crowded Sky). I am excited about what he has planned for the Grayson series. He is my 4th favorite character in all of comics and my 3rd favorite in DC Comics.

I could have sworn that the bright colored costume thing was explained in the past in some stories, but maybe I'm wrong.

Good job, Pants, on losing the 8 pounds. I know what it's like to be trying to lose weight. I did a whole campaign with some friends a couple years ago and got myself down to a great weight, and then I let myself go again. I need to get myself back on track again. It's just the motivation to exercise that is holding me back, so it's all on me. So you are doing better than I am. Congrats!
  • Options
    I was really concerned about this book, as Nightwing is in my top 3. Glad to hear the creative team values the heritage of the character. That said, it's absolutely sad that a group of adults cannot discuss a character named Dick.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763

That said, it's absolutely sad that a group of adults cannot discuss a character named Dick.

:-)

• Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    They discussed him for like 20 minutes...Sure you'll have to throw a joke or two in, but it was a pretty serious conversation.
  • Options
    Nick said:

They discussed him for like 20 minutes...Sure you'll have to throw a joke or two in, but it was a pretty serious conversation.

Serious Dick talk. My last name is Dick so nothing fazes me.