Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Murd's Time Bubble Talkback: The Twenty-Second Time

At last, the time has come: Murd reacts to the first issue of Grant Morrison's New X-Men run! (A little less 'New' than it was in 2001, but no less worthy of comment!) Also, Garth Ennis takes on Spider-Man; John Ostrander breaks down the history of the Justice League; and... wait for it... the first-ever Time Bubble / Crisis Tapes crossover!! (3:10:41)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Joy! Boundless joy!
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Oh, Danny boy,
    :(
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    @Adam_Murdough - excellent episode. When the podcasts are this long, I tend to listen in stages and just got to the end of this time's edition. It was truly special to hear your sentiments, perspective and experiences in regard to Jamie D's departure and I want to thank you for a splendid tribute to the man at the end of this podcast. Well done.

#MistyEyed
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Hi, Murd! Just started listening. I'm not quite halfway through, but I think you misspoke when you said that Incarnations was a 12-issue mini. I have a couple of the issues and wanted to get the others after you talked about it. Then I found that it was only 7 issues...unless I missed something and they extended it. Anyway, I'm enjoying the episode so far. Loved that coverage of the Green Lantern issue (#40). I am indeed wondering if I can get ahold of that to see some Gil Kane artwork. Tangled Web? I think I have a couple of the later issues. Actually, I was a little disappointed to see it cancelled.
  • Options
    BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    Another spectacular episode, Magical Murd. Especially loved hearing your take on Morrison's NEW X-MEN. Once again, you've made me want to sit down and re-read the comic, then re-listen to this podcast, lol. (That's happened thrice before, thank goodness it doesn't cost me anything… well, except for *time* :) I also appreciated your shoutout to Peter David's AQUAMAN run. Now I want to re-read those comics, too!

And what a touching tribute to Jamie D. I confess, you made me cry. Wherever he is right now, I know he loved hearing that. What a wonderful friend you are.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited June 2014
    Great episode, as always. Much as I enjoy the CGS Spotlights, I think Murd's Time Bubble is my favorite sort of CGS episode out there, simply because it's a joy to never know what comics are going to be dissected. It's always a wonderful surprise.

Your comments on New X-Men are well received by me and I'm glad you're taking an even-handed approach. Though I pretty much love everything about this opening arc, you do make some good points regarding costume and appearance changes. The Wolverine line is a bit odd, for the very reasons you mentioned. Personally, since I became a fan of the character while he was wearing the orange and brown costume, I had already been thinking that the yellow and blue costume looked a bit silly for years anyway. So to hear the character describe it as such was amusing to me. (Yes, probably Morrison's Logan would have described the orange and brown costume as silly also, but the yellow and blue was the most recent costume he would have been discarding at the time, and it is "louder".) All in all, I DO think Wolverine's personality would (or should) be allergic to wearing such gaudy superhero gear, and him discarding it would be a long overdue oversight. Sure, he was created wearing a "loud" costume, but he was soon shown to be the kind of guy who almost certainly would hate wearing something so silly looking. So in my mind Morrison was correcting an oversight and bringing the character down to reality in a very sensible way. But, yeah, the line of dialogue is still weird because it takes the reader out of the story and makes you think "Then why's he been wearing a costume for so long?". Ah, not a big deal either way... These are the sorts of things comic nerds think way too much about. :)

Thanks also for responding to my question/concern from last Time. I'm sure that no matter how or when you read these stories, you'll be getting a lot out of them.

• Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    Still listening, can't wait to hear your thoughts on New X-Men!
  • Options
    alienal said:

Hi, Murd! Just started listening. I'm not quite halfway through, but I think you misspoke when you said that Incarnations was a 12-issue mini. I have a couple of the issues and wanted to get the others after you talked about it. Then I found that it was only 7 issues...unless I missed something and they extended it.

Ut! You caught me in an inaccuracy! JLA: Incarnations was indeed only seven issues long, and I apologize to anyone whose reader's appetite I whetted for a full twelve issues of Ostrandrian JLA goodness to be hunted down and consumed. I think my mistake stems from my having conflated Incarnations with its recent ancestor JLA: Year One; or from Incarnations' connection to one of comics' most famous 12-issue series, Crisis on Infinite Earths (most obviously in JLA: Incarnations #5, bannered as a Crisis crossover!); or both. In any case, error regretted and recanted, and thank you for calling me on it, Alan!

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited June 2014

alienal said:

Hi, Murd! Just started listening. I'm not quite halfway through, but I think you misspoke when you said that Incarnations was a 12-issue mini. I have a couple of the issues and wanted to get the others after you talked about it. Then I found that it was only 7 issues...unless I missed something and they extended it.

Ut! You caught me in an inaccuracy! JLA: Incarnations was indeed only seven issues long, and I apologize to anyone whose reader's appetite I whetted for a full twelve issues of Ostrandrian JLA goodness to be hunted down and consumed. I think my mistake stems from my having conflated Incarnations with its recent ancestor JLA: Year One; or from Incarnations' connection to one of comics' most famous 12-issue series, Crisis on Infinite Earths (most obviously in JLA: Incarnations #5, bannered as a Crisis crossover!); or both. In any case, error regretted and recanted, and thank you for calling me on it, Alan!

Time to print up some envelopes and institute the Time Bubble No Prize! :)

Great episode! I listen to podcasts while I'm at work so lengthy installments are great.

The books you are covering are right on the cusp of when I got back into comics. I've enjoyed listening to you talk about stories that I missed out on.

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    At long last I completed my trip through the latest Time Bubble. Much like Gilligan's Island, this one was also a 3 hour tour, but well worth it.

And @Adam_Murdough‌ ... you got me with "Danny Boy" at the end, my man. Well done. Well done, indeed.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    I forget what episode you mentioned the series in, so I'll just post this here in the most recent thread:

X-Men Forever, the first series by that name, by Fabian Nicieza and Kevin Maguire! I remember you talking about this 6-issue mini-series in a Time Bubble episode or two from the fairly recent past. I picked it up for cheap a week ago and enjoyed it very much. Fairly unique series; definitely interesting; and I've never seen the X-characters rendered in Maguire's style of art before. So, while a far cry from the Avengers Forever series that it seems like a distant echo of in some ways, X-Men Forever was definitely a treat as well. Thanks for the recommendation!