Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1485 Talkback - Off the Racks: C.O.W.L. #1, Futures End #1, and Thanos Annual #1

From the annals of Infinity to the streets of Chicago, from fifty years ago to five years from now, we've scanned time and space in search of worthy topics for this month's 'Off the Racks' episode. The result: reviews of Image's C.O.W.L. #1, DC's Futures End #1, and Marvel's Thanos Annual #1, for your information and enjoyment. (1:28:32)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Haven't read C.O.W.L., but will definitely look to pick it up after listening to the review. Didn't particularly care for Futures End or Thanos Annual #1. Both are "borrows" for me.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Interesting that the death of Stormwatch received so much conversation, but Green Arrow was glossed over other than the synopsis.

Important to note that Terry McGuinness planned on dropping back to, presumably, the present day DC Universe, but ended up shorting himself and landing 5 years in the future. So, from that standpoint, the deaths of Stormwatch AND Green Arrow are going to be reversed, or rather, prevented. Personally, I'm OK with that... well I'm OK with that for Green Arrow. This version of Stormwatch, the version that is really just the Authority, really has no place in the DC Universe. The attitude and declared mission diminishes the entirety of the rest of the DC universe - they're the one's that really save the universe and consequently, if it doesn't show up in their book, it's not really a problem.

That said, I read the Stormwatch title beginning to end, both because of the promise offered in DemonKnights and out of hopes where we would see more scenes of the Stormwatch characters being obliterated. On that factor alone, I'll give Futures End a BUY! BUY! BUY!
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I enjoyed the Thanos Annual, passed on the other two titles.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    COWL..It was OK but I'm with Shane in that I thought it would be a little lighter. Not just in story but art as well. I personally thought the art was muddy and I sometimes had a hard time telling who was who. The world is interesting and the idea of a union is a neat twist. I have the next few issues on order so hopefully I'll find more to enjoy as it moves forward.

The Thanos Annual was great. This issue was pretty much all set up for the graphic novel..but I enjoyed the hell out of it. I enjoyed seeing it tie into a past Captain Marvel story and even through the Infinity Saga. Thanos interacting with Mephisto is always fun. Thanos being so morose around Mephisto as apposed to the confident god we see in Infinity Gauntlet was interesting. Thanos is always his own worst enemy so him fighting with himself was perfect. I also enjoyed the way in which the Living Tribunal just dismissed Thanos like he was nothing...a good reminder about how much power he wields. The art...oh man..Ron Lim..where have you been? Can you please just draw Thanos books for the rest of your life? Thank you Mr. Lim.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Mr_Cosmic said:

The Thanos Annual was great. This issue was pretty much all set up for the graphic novel..but I enjoyed the hell out of it. I enjoyed seeing it tie into a past Captain Marvel story and even through the Infinity Saga. Thanos interacting with Mephisto is always fun. Thanos being so morose around Mephisto as apposed to the confident god we see in Infinity Gauntlet was interesting. Thanos is always his own worst enemy so him fighting with himself was perfect. I also enjoyed the way in which the Living Tribunal just dismissed Thanos like he was nothing...a good reminder about how much power he wields. The art...oh man..Ron Lim..where have you been? Can you please just draw Thanos books for the rest of your life? Thank you Mr. Lim.

Yes. I have almost the entire run of SIlver Surfer from the 90's and Ron Lim is by far the best artist on that title. His work evokes joy and melancholy for me. LOved the Infinity Gauntlet and most of its offspring. Consider me an Infinitic for life :)

Listening to Eberle and Murdough wax so eloquently about this Thanos annual and considering the upcoming GotG movie, I can think of no better CGS spotlight to produce next than the Marvel cosmic. It could bridge the gap between the old cosmic and the newer material. This annual would be a great primer. Thanos is coming...

Great episode guys.

• Options
    This might be the first time that I read all 3 titles that you guys covered and that I already had them pre-ordered before you announced them.

I loved COWL. The art was a little wonky in places, but most of the time I really liked it, although I will agree with Shane that I was expecting a more Darwyn Cooke style of art.

I liked the Thanos Annual a lot. I have always loved Infinity Gauntlet, but really didn't read much else in Marvel cosmic until the Annihilation start. I then really loved the stuff and went back to read a lot of the older stuff (which thankfully Marvel has been doing a great job of putting into trades). This annual definitely made me want to read even more of that older cosmic stuff.

I really liked Futures End. I would give it that buyrrow rating. There were some parts like Batman Beyond and Grifter that I loved and other parts like Firestorm that I didn't enjoy because I felt it was too far removed from the character I grew up loving. I am loving Batman Eternal and think it's a much better weekly series, but I'm still sticking with Futures End.

By the way, I heard on the DC Noise podcast in one of their DC Noise Bytes episodes that the Grifter story was not written by Azzarello, but was actually written by Keith Giffen. The hosts there made the same assumption that it was Azzarello, but they spoke to one of the creators who let them know it was Giffen who wrote that part. I can't remember who they said Azzarello wrote. I don't want to guess, because I can't recall for sure. I found that very interesting when I heard that.

Great show as always, gentlemen!!
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    @Adam_Murdough‌ thanks for the mention in the episode. That was the first time I've been mentioned on the show!

Unfortunately I can't give my opinion of Futures End #1. This isn't on my pull list for a few reasons. I read the 0 issue from FCBD and while it did peak my interest it didn't grab me as I book I wanted to try weekly. One reason is that I have enjoyed 52 so much I'd rather get it in trade to read in one hit. Most of all though like Shane mentioned this set 5 years in the future and it will probably be taken out of continuity if it doesn't sell well.
    If I hear good things about it I'll pick it up in trade.

Another great episode guys!
  • Options
    I read Doctor Spector also. It was the only Gold Key character title I decided to try because I liked the concept that I read. I was very disappointed when I heard you mention that it was ending with issue number 4, Adam, since I also believed it had some great potential. I really liked the vulnerability of the character and the world that was being created around him.

Oh well, I guess I will just enjoy what I can for how long I can.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Okay, I only read Future's End #1. I didn't get that FCBD 0 issue, so first I felt like I missed something and then I felt like nothing really happened. Oh, well...small loss. That's 51 fewer issues I need to buy. Heh-heh...giant BORROW! Okay, now I'll listen to the whole episode and think about if I should by COWL and/or the Thanos Special Annual thing.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    ...Yeah, I'm still not sure what the reasoning is behind not giving the Thanos Annual a huge enthusiastic BUY. "It may not be for everyone." Well, NOTHING is EVERYONE's cup of tea. If that's the reason, then NOTHING should ever get a hearty recommendation. If someone isn't familiar with Marvel Cosmic, then this is actually a GREAT issue to check out and see if you like it, because it takes you through some of the history.

Not saying that I think it was a 5-star instant-classic issue or whatever. Not saying that I'm particularly overconcerned with ratings and reviews. But the reasoning some of you Geeks had there didn't make sense to me.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    Elsiebub said:

...Yeah, I'm still not sure what the reasoning is behind not giving the Thanos Annual a huge enthusiastic BUY. "It may not be for everyone." Well, NOTHING is EVERYONE's cup of tea. If that's the reason, then NOTHING should ever get a hearty recommendation. If someone isn't familiar with Marvel Cosmic, then this is actually a GREAT issue to check out and see if you like it, because it takes you through some of the history.

Not saying that I think it was a 5-star instant-classic issue or whatever. Not saying that I'm particularly overconcerned with ratings and reviews. But the reasoning some of you Geeks had there didn't make sense to me.

I've read Annihilation and a little Silver Surfer from the 90's, and I had no idea what was going on in this issue. I wasn't sure if it was really history or if this was a "What if" issue. I borrowed it so I'd give it a borrow, but I agree with the geeks if you don't love Thanos I don't think you'll get out of it (at least I didn't). It felt like a preview for another story, but again maybe it's just because I wasn't familiar with the big purple guy.