Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1486 Talkback - Previews

Everything's coming up Previews! We go through the June catalog for items shipping to stores starting in August. (1:41:29)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Cajun_ShaunCajun_Shaun Posts: 15
    edited June 2014
    Not to sound ungrateful or picky, but I do wish you would put out the Previews episodes a little faster. Usually by the time they're posted, I would have already placed my order. I'm not the type to go back and change anything later because I try to keep to a budget. I value hearing what the geeks are not only getting, but what also piques their interest. I understand that not everyone gets there copy of Previews at the same time and that scheduling time for everyone to get together to record can be a hassle.

I'm sorry if I come across a bit rude, I just felt the need to vent a small complaint!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I understand that frustration. You should still have time to alter your DCBS order. I don't mind the geeks' timing as long as there's time to change it. Unfortunately I am traveling abroad and will not be in front if a computer until Monday. I hope my order is good, but I haven't listened to this episode yet. Saving it for he next flight...
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I always thought that Previews episodes came during week 3 (or late week 2) of the month to allow 1 week for all the monthly DCBS orders to arrive (since most of the Geeks use this) and 1 week for you to go through your Previews yourself before listening to the episode.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Thanks for the episode, guys! I was actually kinda wondering if there was gonna be a Previews ep or not because of your lack of personnel, so I was glad to see one pop up in my iTunes. I also like that Murd and Shane get to talk a lot these days. As for the timing (see complaint from Cajun-Shaun above) I have no problem with when this episode came out. To me, as long as it's at least a week before the end of the month it's cool with me. I don't really understand the complaint about timing since if you have your Previews already you can just wait. Anyways, the two DC off-the-rack-picks kind of surprised me, but I'll go along it. I'd also like to mention in the independent vein, that the annual summer Love and Rockets comic is offered in Previews this month. I try not to miss that since I love Jamie Hernandez' artwork and Gilbert's crazy stories.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited June 2014
    The Art of the Venture Bros has been on my radar since it was first announced. I've had it pre ordered from Amazon as soon as it was possible to do so.

I'm excited for both Multiversity and Sensation Comics.

Otherwise a pretty normal month for me.
  • Options
    Always enjoy these episodes. I only have to change my order for one item. Had no idea the 75th anniversary magazine was "free".

For @ShaneKelly‌
    Yes, there was a claymation version of Pogo. It was called "I Go Pogo" or "Pogo For President".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c-3Lx3sEj0

It was released in 1980, but is currently unavailable on DVD.
  • Options
    ChrisBeckettChrisBeckett Posts: 535
    Just started listening, and I cannot recommend The Adventures of Luther Arkwright highly enough. The original series was influential on Alan Moore, and it is a phenomenal, twisting, challenging time travel tale (and alliteration approved). That said, seek out the back issues from Dark Horse - roughly $1.10 per issue at Lone Star Comics (mycomicshop.com). You cannot go wrong with this.

And, POP! looks great. Having been lucky enough to work with Jason Copland twice, on two short comic stories, I always seek out anything he does. The man can draw, and the high concept for the series sounds great. Looking forward to this.

Now, back to my listening.
  • Options
    ShaneKellyShaneKelly Posts: 156

For @ShaneKelly‌
    Yes, there was a claymation version of Pogo. It was called "I Go Pogo" or "Pogo For President".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c-3Lx3sEj0

It was released in 1980, but is currently unavailable on DVD.

Thank you for posting this! I appreciate it and hope they release it again someday.
  • Options
    Always love the Previews episode, although I should just hand my wallet over to someone when I listen because I always go back and add things to my order after listening.

In regards to the Superior Spider-Man, while I love your idea, Murd, the arm attachments were added during the series....because what good is Doc Ock Spidey without some additional arms? I still like your idea though.

Shane, I would say that if you like the Black Widow series (I do also), then you should enjoy the Punisher series as well, and this crossover might be a good jumping on point. Both titles are written by Nathan Edmondson, and he is well known for his espionage and special ops writing abilities. I'm not a big fan of the Punisher (haven't read a Punisher series in probably 10 years and even then it was limited reading), but I love the current series.

The Nightcrawler series I would say is good for those who enjoy the Amazing X-Men title. I have only read the first couple issues, but I find a lot of the same light-hearted moments in it that I find in Amazing X-men. Speaking of Amazing X-men, that first story arc that is about the return of Nightcrawler is where we find out the origin of the current Bamfs that had started showing up in the Wolverine & the X-men series.

I am so looking forward to the Little Nemo title. My only exposure to the character has been the NES video game for the character in the late 80's. It was a great game and a nice amount of weirdness fun to the world. I'm looking forward to learning more about this world since I like these creative world type of stories.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

In regards to the Superior Spider-Man, while I love your idea, Murd, the arm attachments were added during the series....because what good is Doc Ock Spidey without some additional arms? I still like your idea though.

Yes, @Adam_Murdough, Otto/Spidey redesigned his costume and gave himself some retractable spider arms a little ways into the run.

As for the surprise of this issue appear and the apparent multiversal aspect of the story, that's explained in the solicit, IIRC. This is the kick-off for the next big Spidey event, Spider-Verse, which is supposed to feature every iteration of Spider-Man ever... Slott even promised a few sneaky ways to reference the very few they couldn't outright use for rights reasons.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Waiting for Nightcrawler in trade. Looks great.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338

I am so looking forward to the Little Nemo title. My only exposure to the character has been the NES video game for the character in the late 80's. It was a great game and a nice amount of weirdness fun to the world. I'm looking forward to learning more about this world since I like these creative world type of stories.

Yes! That old NES game was my first exposure, too! Great game! Very surreal.

And thanks to the Geeks for mentioning the upcoming comic. The talent involved makes it a must-buy.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Little Nemo is one of those properties that I have trouble relating to outside of the original material. All of the original charm was in the drawings of its creator, Windsor McCay, who crafted such exquisite (and almost compulsive) detail to his pages -- somehow, that hasn't translated to other attempts in other hands, despite the love by those who have tried. I saw the animated film by Ray Bradbury and Chuck Jones, and, despite the talent of those two giants, the result really did not compare well to the original. I haven't seen the copy for the newest version, but unless the art is by Barry Windsor-Smith or Craig Russell, I fear it would fall short. (But I could be wrong -- like I said, I haven't seen the samples, so my observation rests on past attempts made.)
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Little Nemo is one of those properties that I have trouble relating to outside of the original material. All of the original charm was in the drawings of its creator, Windsor McCay, who crafted such exquisite (and almost compulsive) detail to his pages -- somehow, that hasn't translated to other attempts in other hands, despite the love by those who have tried. I saw the animated film by Ray Bradbury and Chuck Jones, and, despite the talent of those two giants, the result really did not compare well to the original. I haven't seen the copy for the newest version, but unless the art is by Barry Windsor-Smith or Craig Russell, I fear it would fall short. (But I could be wrong -- like I said, I haven't seen the samples, so my observation rests on past attempts made.)

I imagine it will go the way most projects like this go: Some attempts will be very close to capturing the original intent, some will take it in new and slightly different directions, and some will fall flat. Given the creators on this book, I have to believe that there will be some great content here. Guys like Jeremy Bastien, Charles Vess, and Farel Dalrymple already have a dream-like quality in their work, and I’m betting their stuff will do McCay proud. Give the Kickstarter a look before you decide.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

I imagine it will go the way most projects like this go: Some attempts will be very close to capturing the original intent, some will take it in new and slightly different directions, and some will fall flat. Given the creators on this book, I have to believe that there will be some great content here. Guys like Jeremy Bastien, Charles Vess, and Farel Dalrymple already have a dream-like quality in their work, and I’m betting their stuff will do McCay proud. Give the Kickstarter a look before you decide.
    Okay, that just proves I need to actually look at things before I go commenting on them. That does look interesting. I still think it'll miss the mark set by McCay, but it looks like a wonderful homage that might hit very, very close. If I could afford it right now, I'd give it serious consideration.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Okay, that just proves I need to actually look at things before I go commenting on them. That does look interesting. I still think it'll miss the mark set by McCay, but it looks like a wonderful homage that might hit very, very close. If I could afford it right now, I'd give it serious consideration.
    Yeah, the price may be a bit daunting for me as well. Hopefully they'll eventually do a mass-market edition that's a little more affordable.