Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Kindle Fire and DC Comics....

have separated?
“Currently, DC Comics are no longer available for purchase on our Fire app.” - ComiXology representative to a Bleeding Cool reader

After making such a furore by signing their most popular hundred graphic novels exclusively to the Kindle Fire last year, and seeing Barnes & Noble and Books-A-Million boycott those titles in protest, you’d have thought that DC and Amazon Kindle were tight as could be.

It appears not. DC Comics can no longer be found in the Kindle Fire ComiXology store… and may not have been since November last. You can still buy them on ComiXology through your PC and then sync them over, but you can’t find them anywhere in the Kindle version of the app. The DC section of ComiXology has been removed completely.

DC have not responded to inquiries. ComiXology only give the line “ComiXology readers can continue to access DC Comics that are in their My Comics library. Plus, comiXology on the Kindle Fire syncs libraries from any part of the ComiXology platform, so DC readers can access comics purchased through the web.”

Basically, there’s a workaround. But something seems to have happened between Amazon Kindle, DC and ComiXology, and after spending a couple of months trying to find out what, no one’s talking right now.

Or rather Amazon reps say they don’t know, ComiXology says they can’t say and DC Comics doesn’t say anything at all.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/12/dc-kindle/

Man, can't these companies just get along?

Comments

• Options
    VashVash Posts: 12
    This has been a major inconvenience for me. I like the fact that my amazon account was linked to the Kindle Fire and Comixology allowing me to purchase through amazon.

It is very unsettling that DC has not commented on the situation.
  • Options
    One reason why I'm holding off on going digital. Main reason, though, is because no discounts on new books and no ownership.
  • Options
    Weird. I don't know that I've ever purchased a comic directly from my Fire. I buy all my books through the DCBS storefront for the 5% incentive. Is there any advantage to buying via the app besides convenience?

Does the iPad allow purchasing via the app?
  • Options
    comixology, at least on kindle fire, allows purchasing of every book besides DC's. purchasing from my desktop, and then completing the "transaction", in my mind, is done by downloading it, which is what i would have to do anyway after purchasing using the fire. however, i just tested with a free book (chose IDW's G.I. Joe: Operation Hiss #1), and as soon as i clicked the button "free", it started downloading. i will take more/better notice the next time i purchase a non-DC non-free book using the fire, obviously.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    I was perplexed by this situation, too, and mentioned it in another thread. I think it may have something to do with the fact that you can buy 100 or so graphic novels (I think that was the number they touted) for the Kindle Fire from Amazon. That was what the big deal was when the Fire launched... not the fact that you could buy DC comics from Comixology on the Fire.

But I'm like @BlackUmbrella -- I started buying my stuff from DCBS's Comixology storefront to take advantage of the 5% back offer. So it hasn't been a big deal for me.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    It's more an inconvenience than anything - just an extra step when it comes to buying DC comics. For the longest time, nothing from DC past the first week of the third month of the new 52 has been available anyway, so I've gotten used to it.

I'm still baffled as to what the problem is, though. If anything, it initially seemed like Amazon and DC had some sort of partnership. I've noticed that beyond those initial 100 trades, though, we've seen nothing new. I'd assumed that by now, we'd be seeing pre-orders for all the new 52 trades through Amazon, but nothing. That Kindle Fire comic store page has turned out to be kind of a dud. If they don't want to expand it, then simply let Comixology continue to handle that area.
  • Options
    in this week's DC books there is a page that indicates a DC app for the various tablets, kindle fire included. however i search in the app store for DC Comics and no app specific to DC is returned as a result, but rather comixology and a few other non-related apps. so it seems like something's coming, but not as soon as their printing schedule thought.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Inconvenient indeed.
  • Options
    the Buy Now "Digital Comics" link on the new/revamped DC site still takes you to comixology.
  • Options
    TrustyMutsiTrustyMutsi Posts: 161
    Does anyone think that Comixology will go so far as to not allow Kindle users to read DC books on their device, even if it's bought on the comixology site?
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    Does anyone think that Comixology will go so far as to not allow Kindle users to read DC books on their device, even if it's bought on the comixology site?
    no, i hope not. that would be like a CD store (new and used one is in business just a 10 minute walk from where i sit now) or publisher that sells a CD that doesn't play in a certain brand/manufacturer of CD player. and seemingly for the reason of maybe some kind of dispute.
  • Options
    TrustyMutsiTrustyMutsi Posts: 161
    Specifically asking because I just got a Warehouse Deal Kindle Fire this morning from Amazon :)