Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1493 Talkback - Comic Talk

Matt's in the studio for this episode, so the topic inevitably veers toward movies, in particular the latest 'Batfleck' tidbits. Also, Chris provides a retailer's perspective on conventions; Peter describes his first exposure to the old 'limited animation' Marvel cartoons of the '60s; and Pants and Shane indulge in a two-man discussion of the latest Doctor Who comics series from Titan Comics. (1:25:13)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Listened to most of the episode. Being a movie fan I enjoyed the movie talk.

I wouldn't sell Batman/Superman short of making a billion. I'm not saying it will but with the international market especially China it's a strong possibilty
  • Options
    And what episode was the Amazing Spider-Man 2 discussion
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited July 2014
    Great episode boys, always glad to hear @Peter and @Pants.

I'm going to Cap 3 before Justice League, just not into the DC characters as much as am with Marvel's. But what I'm hoping for is for one of the three drive-in's to have them as a double feature.

Transformers 4 wasn't bad, I enjoyed it much more than the previous three. It still had it's flaws but I felt it was more solid than the others.

Those 60's Marvel cartoons are what got me into comics back in the mid 70's. I love those, despite how bad they were even for the time.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Great show - as always, guys!

I grew up in the 60's, so those Marvel cartoons - and especially the Filmation Superman cartoons - were a huge part of my childhood influence with these characters. Consequently, it's hard for me to watch them completely objectively, as I have a tremendous amount of nostalgia for them. To many of your listeners, I'm sure The Super Friends were a big part of their formative years. These Marvel Heroes and Filmation Superman cartoons were my "Super Friends".

To understand their significance, it's important to view them in the context of the era. Note that the Filmation Superman cartoons were some of the first original-material cartoons produced exclusively for Saturday morning. Other fare (The Flinstones, Johnny Quest, etc.) were produced for prime time and a different audience, most certainly with a different budget, and then re-run on Saturday mornings.

If you were a fan of Superman - as I was - there were the comics. And, in the decade of the 60's, that was pretty much all there was.

Keep in mind, too, that the Silver Age was in full swing -- those cartoons may seem hilarious today, but they were in keeping with what was happening on the printed page. If you were a pre-teen (as I was), those stories made perfect sense.

Frankly, even though the 60's were an explosive time for Marvel comics, it still was a tough time to be a super hero fan. Outside of comics and the Batman tv series, there just wasn't much in the offering; so the cartoons were a very welcome addition. Of course, there was no VCR/Blu-Ray/NetFlix at the time, so if you missed the broadcast, you were out of luck. There were no action figures (the Aurora models were cool, but not much "action" to them), video games, or movies to sate one's super hero addiction - the Mego figures wouldn't premiere until the next decade, tv was still black and white (for most of us), and the closest thing to a video game was a Batman board game that was the rough equivalent of Candy Land (href=http://tinyurl.com/ooz6b7g).

So yeah, by today's standards those cartoons are pretty lame. But to a young kid in the 60's, they were everything. Now get off my lawn.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    I actually enjoyed Amazing Spider-Man 2 quite a bit & thought more highly of it than Thor 2 or any of the Iron Man films. It seemed more like an old Marvel Silver Age book than anything that's hit the screen. Yes, Harry goes evil too quickly but I had fun watching it. The Rhino was little more than a cameo so I don't agree that it was too villain heavy. I think Garfield and Stone were spot on as Peter and Gwen. I don't mean to start a thread war but only wanted to say I don't agree with the vitriol, Maybe my view is based on how awful I thought Tobey McGuire, James Franco, & Kirstin Dunst were in the original trilogy,
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Spider-Man '67. Just sayin'.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    DAR said:

And what episode was the Amazing Spider-Man 2 discussion

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited July 2014
    JaxUr said:

I actually enjoyed Amazing Spider-Man 2 quite a bit & thought more highly of it than Thor 2 or any of the Iron Man films. It seemed more like an old Marvel Silver Age book than anything that's hit the screen. Yes, Harry goes evil too quickly but I had fun watching it. The Rhino was little more than a cameo so I don't agree that it was too villain heavy. I think Garfield and Stone were spot on as Peter and Gwen. I don't mean to start a thread war but only wanted to say I don't agree with the vitriol, Maybe my view is based on how awful I thought Tobey McGuire, James Franco, & Kirstin Dunst were in the original trilogy,

Wow, that's interesting. To each his own. I borrowed Pants' Amazing Spider-man Blu-ray & was bored. The movie felt soulless to me (my wife fell asleep during the last 20 minutes & didn't care enough to find out what happened.)

I actually got emotionally attached while watching Spider-man 3 then I did ASM. Not digging any of the cast except for Stone & Leary, I did not even bother with ASM2. I'm sure at some point it'll be on FX & I'll see it...but nothing I've heard squashed any of the concerns I had about the movie.

As I mentioned before, though; to each his own.

M
  • Options
    DAR said:

I wouldn't sell Batman/Superman short of making a billion. I'm not saying it will but with the international market especially China it's a strong possibilty

If its halfway decent, I think it'll hover around the $1 billion mark. I think that's part of the reason Affleck was cast as Batman instead of a C-level actor; revenue insurance.

It's not a shot at the movie, but I think some fanboys have way too high of expectations this'll be bigger then Avatar. In my experience, the bigger the expectations, the bigger then let down. I just want it to be entertaining.

M
  • Options
    Rod28Rod28 Posts: 63
    I really enjoyed @Matt riling the boys in this episode. Great job.

As for the new Superman/Batman movie, I'm looking forward to it. As with all things with previous continuity, fan people can be a little annoying. There have been alternate storylines before and I think that's what these movies should be. I also enjoyed Man of Steel. Yes, to each is own.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Appreciate the Dr. Who reviews! I wasn't sure if I wanted to pick them up or not - I'm not totally sold on the Dr. Who comics of late - but I'm going to at least give them another look next time I'm in the shop. These little "surprise" reviews, especially when they are super topical, are very much appreciated as well.
  • Options
    Matt said:

DAR said:

If its halfway decent, I think it'll hover around the $1 billion mark. I think that's part of the reason Affleck was cast as Batman instead of a C-level actor; revenue insurance.

It's not a shot at the movie, but I think some fanboys have way too high of expectations this'll be bigger then Avatar. In my experience, the bigger the expectations, the bigger then let down. I just want it to be entertaining.

M

Oh I agree no way this will be as big as Avatar. I'm not sure Avatar 2 will be as big as Avatar.

But if that horrible Alice in Wonderland can make a billion then anything is possible.

And I'm also just hoping for a good movie
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    I'm only part way through this one, but I had to chuckle when Pants threw out a "That's what Murd said." Got me thinking, it would be kind of funny (or weird. Take your pick) if you could have a sound file ready to go of Jamie saying "That's what Murd said!" and then lay it on us whenever Murd goes deep into his Roget's Thesaurus playbook. :-)

Okay, now seeing it in black and white (as opposed to hearing the little voice in my head say it) it's definitely more "weird" than "funny."
  • Options
    ChrisBeckettChrisBeckett Posts: 535
    Another great episode, gentlemen. It was great having a full house of geeks. Love it when Peter can join in and when Matt is available for a drive-by. Adds a lot to the show.

Regarding Harlan Ellison - I am looking forward to this new Batman '66 comic. It's a script that never got produced, which will introduce Two-Face (if my memory isn't failing me, and I apologize if Pete offered this information in the episode). To Chris's point, I do not believe there was any animus surrounding this unfilmed episode, unlike "City on the Edge of Forever," where Ellison felt the changes made to his script sucked much of the emotion from that episode, including what would have been the very first time where Spock would have called Kirk by his first name, signifying the strong friendship growing between these two different characters.

Yes, Ellison is known for his ire and vitriol and litigiousness, but that is far too simplistic a characterization that belittles a man who is still writing at the age of 80, is one of the most-honored and awarded writers in multiple genres/formats (I believe he's still the only writer to win the Writer's Guild Award for best teleplay 4 times, for solo work, which includes the previously mentioned Star Trek episode). His litigation has not only been to protect his own name, but has also been to protect authors, in general, from entities/corporations that feel it is all right to share authors' works without proper recompense - all of this, at Ellison's own, personal expense.

And, having met the man and spoken to him on the phone as recently as last week, I can say that he is incredibly generous with his time. Yes, he's known for his strong opinions, which can rub people the wrong way, especially if they disagree with him (see: Alan Moore, Steve Ditko, Dave Sim,), but I'll take his no-bullshit approach any day. (yeah, it helps that I am a big fan of his writing and generally agree with many of his opinions).

I'm just saying, the man is deserving of a bit more respect than the quick "he's an angry old crazy-man." And, I should add, I'm a big fan of Mr. Eberlee on the show. Not trying to denigrate him, or beat him down metaphorically, just trying to even the playing field a bit.

Keep up the great work, and thanks,
    chris
  • Options
    If you are interested in the run course you can probably find the race map with MapMyRun.com
  • Options
    I highly doubt Batman v. Superman makes less than a billion regardless of quality. The most popular superhero paired with the most iconic superhero with the very first big screen appearance of the most well known female superhero when superhero movies are the hottest ticket in town, in a world where Transformers and Pirates of the Caribbean can make a billion dollars. It would have to be god awful not to do a billion. And if it is truly god awful, it will still make 800 million dollars.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    I've got to reiterate how good Captain Britain and the MI13 is...and the Wisdom MAX series works as a bit of a prequel. (I just had to bind it...)

• Options
    NKQNKQ Posts: 24
    Great episode! I too like the movie talk.

Have you noticed that when Matt is on the show, he’s driving the discussion with interesting questions? Much appreciated Matt.

Will the superhero genre fade? Sure it will, just like disaster movies, westerns and detective films, but it won’t disappear. The entertainment market is fickle. Producers are always looking for the next new thing and right now, they’re riding the superhero wave.

The trend to watch is the creation of new venues for films and series. Netflix’s Orange is the new Black proved you can create an inexpensive show and make money by attracting new subscribers. An analogue would be a killer app that is only available on one OS, or the video game The Last of Us, which is only available on the Playstation. Hell, I considered buying a PS4 just to play that game.

This trend is driven by the high cost of making block-buster films (A $1 billion return is now the standard of success for these films and those cost more than $100 million to make) and the desire by web-based entertainment distributors and cable-based networks to grab a larger part of the pie. That’s good because they’ll have to focus on good stories and acting and not just movie stars and special effects.

I have to believe that most of those smaller superhero shows will stink. Look at Agents of Shield. Big name director associated with the show but the stories and characters put me to sleep. What a missed opportunity.

Also, I could never get into Harlan Ellison’s scifi but I did hear him speak once and he is an amazing personality. The problem with novelists writing for TV or film is that they don’t understand the constraints of the medium. Budgets, stars (as Peter noted) and other limitations force producers to rewrite scripts. Roddenberry rewrote every script when he was showrunning the original Star Trek.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    I agree with Peter's point about saying that the Nolan Dark Knight movies are more "realistic". It's like when people say the Marvel comics are more grounded than DC. Marvel is as fantastical as DC.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Fun episode to listen to (I'm just commenting now even though I listened to it a few days ago). I did enjoy hearing Matt, Pants and Peter all onboard. Though Matt's rapid-fire questions got me a little perturbed. Gosh, give the guys some time to answer before switching to another question already! It seems like Matt already has his answer prepared and before the discussion goes too far he stifles it with his answer. So, I don't know if it's "driving" the discussion as much as "manipulating" it a bit? Superman/Batman? Ah, I don't really care how much it makes all that much. I just hope it's good (or at least better than Man of Steel). Anyway, I don't mind the movie talk at all even though Pants obviously wanted to get on with some "real" comic talk. And hey, I second the motion about the "And That's What Murd Said!" the sound file that @TheOriginalGMan recommended. I also laughed when Pants said that! Dr. Who? Still 'meh' for me.
  • Options
    alienal said:

Fun episode to listen to (I'm just commenting now even though I listened to it a few days ago). I did enjoy hearing Matt, Pants and Peter all onboard. Though Matt's rapid-fire questions got me a little perturbed. Gosh, give the guys some time to answer before switching to another question already! It seems like Matt already has his answer prepared and before the discussion goes too far he stifles it with his answer. So, I don't know if it's "driving" the discussion as much as "manipulating" it a bit? Superman/Batman? Ah, I don't really care how much it makes all that much. I just hope it's good (or at least better than Man of Steel). Anyway, I don't mind the movie talk at all even though Pants obviously wanted to get on with some "real" comic talk. And hey, I second the motion about the "And That's What Murd Said!" the sound file that @TheOriginalGMan recommended. I also laughed when Pants said that! Dr. Who? Still 'meh' for me.

Haha, that's why I call it "driveby podcasting." Plus, I know Pants had an outline for the ep & didn't want to completely rail everything...though I guess I did.

M