Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Life Without Cable and Attempting to Watch Local Stations

LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
A few months back we ditched cable and went just internet and Roku. Before we could try and figure out how to watch local stuff still (I need my CBS Sunday Morning), my wife broke her ankle and we had to go live in her grandparents' house for 3 months while she healed and couldn't walk upstairs. Now we're back in our house and ready to tackle the TV problem again. The question is, do we need one of those big outdoor aerials to watch the local channels, or can we get by with just a set-top digital antenna? After the winter we had, the last thing I wanna do is tempt fate by climbing up on the roof to do anything!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Awesomely useful link, Zhurrie. Thanks! According to the chart, I should be able to get the local Rhode Island stations with a set-top antenna and some of the Boston ones with an attic or roof one. But considering how many of those are just duplicate network affiliates, I can probably get by with minimal effort. Nice!

Any antenna recommendations?
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    Can you post or pm me your zip, I'd need to see the actual output for you to know what antenna and possibly a preamp you might need. There are a lot of differences and it all depends on the channels and the bands for your area as well as things like multipath or reflection.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
  • Options
    Perfect! OK, so you can get away without needing a rotor since you can basically point it in that 16 degree to 40 degree (North slightly NW) and get almost everything. Many of your channels are only like 12 miles away but there are a bunch hanging out in the 40 mile range. The tropo and 2edge stations are probably not going to happen no matter what except maybe for luck. All of the LOS and many of the 1edge stations should be gettable.

Here are the options:

If you only want to get the stations in the 12 mile away range you can use almost any good antenna that covers both UHF and also at least the high VHF. You could probably get away with even installing it in your attic (inside) to keep from having to go on the roof. I will say that on the roof is always best though, but for only 12 miles and LOS you might even get away with a small indoor antenna with solid specs. A smaller Antennacraft HBU22 could probably get everything 12 and 40 mile stations and at around like $30-40.

You could pair it with a ChannelMaster CM777 amp to maximize everything but I'd probably hold off until you see if the antenna alone is enough.

You could go with a larger Antennacraft HBU33 or even 44 (which is pretty big) the 44 could maybe still fit *in* an attic but it might be tough. On a roof these would probably catch a ton of channels both in front and back for quite a long range.

If all of the channels you want (and you are sure) are UHF only, then you could go with a more attic-friendly square DB4 or DB8 or ClearStream4.

Hope that helps! Feel free to ask if you have questions.

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I'm reporting all you people to the HUAC.
  • Options
    my brain hurt reading your posts, @Zhurrie... I feel like there is a whole new world out there that I am just now noticing.... Time to do some research for I am thinking of this cable-cutting as well...
  • Options
    hehe, my background is in some pretty complex aspects of networking/telecom/wireless so unfortunately welcome to a brief glimpse of my world :) It isn't actually that hard but things changed when everything switched to digital over the air. It used to be that a lot of channels were VHF and some UHF, now almost everything is UHF with still a few VHF stations hanging around. So old antennas do a crap job of getting some of the new stations and people just assume they no longer can get stuff and go to cable/dish... that isn't the case, you just need the right antenna.

LOS = line of sight meaning you have a direct path. 1Edge means that the signal is reflected once between you and the source or some similar interruption. 2Edge means it is being reflected or impeded at two points. Tropo means that the signal is basically bouncing off of the atmosphere and some of it bleeds into your area but it is most likely really weak and spotty based on weather and other conditions.

The higher the frequency the shorter the wavelengths which is good for penetrating into like an attic or an indoor antenna, but worse for covering distance. (AM radio uses long, slow waves, which are subject to interference and penetrate poorly, but can cover great distances... and tropo would be like how at night or certain times you might get a station from really far away but not always.)
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    We're cutting cable too so this thread is pretty well timed.
  • Options
    We're cutting cable too so this thread is pretty well timed.
    We had wondered if we'd miss it, but so far, so good. Once we get local channels up and running, I think we'll be good to go for the long haul. Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, and various networks' websites cover just about everything we watch. For the stuff they don't, we figure we're saving enough on channels we don't watch that we can pony up for a season pass on Amazon or iTunes for the shows we want, like Doctor Who.

A couple of networks make it hard, though. Cartoon Network, for one. If I wanna see Young Justice or the DC Nation shorts, I have to hope someone posted 'em to YouTube and I can catch them before they're taken down. HBO is a tough one, too. We like Game of Thrones, and a guy we want to college with is in that new show Veep, so we want to see those but it looks like we'll have to wait. Too bad you can't subscribe to *just* HBO Go.
  • Options
    Sports and some of the tricky shows like you mention are harder to deal with but they always come out on DVD and like you said the money you save I could buy like 3-4 whole seasons of shows *every month* and still be less than I paid for Dish. I get sports from sportlemon.tv or sopcast and that basically hits everything. You realize just how little is actually can't miss quickly and honestly I get tons of stuff OTA that you can't get on any cable/Dish package like the ION channels, retro TV, Create, and a bunch of others. I have a HBU44 and a ChannelMaster CM777 and live at the top of a large hill so I get stations and all the digital sub-stations for 4 states around!
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    We've done this once before, went about two years without cable and no local tv. There were plenty of shows/movies to see via stream and our local library has an amazing dvd collection. Being a sports fan, that's what hurt the most.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I could easily drop satellite,mainly cause currently there is no shows airing I want to watch. And at the most I watch maybe 5 shows a year total. If I was the one paying the Dish bill I would have dropped it back in 2008.
  • Options
    Picked up a set-top antenna this morning and with a little bit of effort found the local channels we were looking for, and a few extras I hadn't thought about as they're those digital ".1" or ".2" stations. It's just a matter of figuring out antenna positioning for a few of them, but that'll come with time. We may still opt for a roof model somewhere down the line, but so far, so good.
  • Options
    Great! Yeah, the ones in the 12 mile LOS range should be easy and rock solid even in bad weather with just the indoor unit. The digital sub channels can sometimes be awesome or have really cool/unique programming. I have one that shows all the old comic/superhero/detective shows 24/7. Flash, Shadow, Green Hornet, Batman, Superman, Get Smart, etc.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I couldn't give it up because of watching my sports teams
  • Options
    I'll miss watching the Red Sox on NESN this summer, but given my schedule, I never get to watch that many games, anyway.
  • Options
    I mentioned a few "fixes" for the sports thing above...
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    My first thought when seeing the thread title?

Who needs Nathan Summers? ;))