Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Comics With or Without Pulp Talkback - Episode 10: Miss Fury

Episode 10: 'Hell Hath No Fury.' A look at a Femme Fatale from the age of pulp characters. Created by one of the first female creators, Tarpe Mills. Guest co-host Eric Nolen-Weathington helps discuss a hero with fashion sense. (1:20:57)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for this. I always enjoy these Pulp episodes because they contain information and research on characters that aren't always the most popular. I don't think any other comic podcast is covering this stuff and that is what I like out of a podcast.

Matt, are you still planning on contacting Trina Robbins? She's real nice and out here in San Francisco. Yes, she probably was at SDCC though (her partner Steve Leiahola has been to something like all of them or all of them but one so they are always there). She has a wealth of information about the early days of the underground comix too since she was there. The Cartoon Art Museum out here in SF also currently has a show on the under appreciated women creators of the early days (pretty sure they covered Mills too) along with original pages.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I learned a lot about a character, and creator, I knew very little about.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Thanks for this. I always enjoy these Pulp episodes because they contain information and research on characters that aren't always the most popular. I don't think any other comic podcast is covering this stuff and that is what I like out of a podcast.

Matt, are you still planning on contacting Trina Robbins? She's real nice and out here in San Francisco. Yes, she probably was at SDCC though (her partner Steve Leiahola has been to something like all of them or all of them but one so they are always there). She has a wealth of information about the early days of the underground comix too since she was there. The Cartoon Art Museum out here in SF also currently has a show on the under appreciated women creators of the early days (pretty sure they covered Mills too) along with original pages.

Thanks. I hope to bring something new & exciting with each one. Eric has joined the list of guest cohosts who've carried me through these, so I am grateful for his assistance.

I would like to still contact Trina. One, because I'd like to learn more on this topic, but also toget her perspective as a long running female creator.

I've often thought about doing a bunch of shorts for an episode or two where I follow up for interviews with people not initially available and/or new occurrences with characters already covered.

M
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I learned a lot about a character, and creator, I knew very little about.

Groovy. I'm always concerned people will find the episodes boring & a waste of time. I'm glad when I can provide good intel on characters & creators.

M
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    Here's the link to the Kickstarter that was mentioned in the episode - Amazing Heroes: Retro Style Super Hero Action Figures
  • Options
    Hi Matt. I also want to give you praise for taking the time to do the Comics With and Without Pulp series. Overall, I have learned alot from these episodes regarding characters like Miss Fury, Green Hornet and the Shadow. I developed my interest in pulp back in the 1970's with the Denny O'Neil and Mike Kaluta version of the Shadow.

I had a mixed reaction to Dynamite's recent Miss Fury title. I thought a lot of elements worked well, but the opening story arc with its convoluted time shifting was a little confusing at times. I think the book would have fared better in terms of sales if they had made the opening story arc more straight forward.

I respect the fact that Dynamite are trying to keep the pulp characters around. I loved both the Spider and Black Bat series, but sadly the sales weren't there and both were cancelled.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Interesting discussion @Matt, thanks for this offering.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Nice episode, Matt. Very informative. And good job as supporting co-host @nweathington. All I knew of Miss Fury before was that she was drawn very hot! So, I found out a lot more. Any plans to do Justice, Inc? I remember some issues drawn by Kirby in the 70's and the back matter in those issues mentioned it was pulp and/or a radio show?
  • Options
    Just want to chime in that these podcasts are not boring at all, Matt. I love learning about these characters, and you and your co-hosts always bring a lot of good information to the episodes. I really appreciate the work you put into them.

thanks,
    chris
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    alienal said:

Nice episode, Matt. Very informative. And good job as supporting co-host @nweathington. All I knew of Miss Fury before was that she was drawn very hot! So, I found out a lot more. Any plans to do Justice, Inc? I remember some issues drawn by Kirby in the 70's and the back matter in those issues mentioned it was pulp and/or a radio show?

Thanks @alienal! Glad you enjoyed it. Matt and I were both a little worried about filling up the hour, so I'm glad we were able to turn out a worthwhile episode.