Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Which Female Marvel Superheroine Can Carry Her Own Film?

Given all this hoopla... which Marvel heroine can really carry her own film? or who would you want to see?

http://www.slashfilm.com/kevin-feige-marvel-female-superhero-movie/
"Kevin Feige Suggests Marvel Is Too Busy For a Female Superhero Movie"

People are always saying Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers... but I don't know much about her, besides that she used to be Binary and half of Rogue? And nothing really stands out to me or makes her unique or appealing...

The most compelling ones are part of teams... and most of them Marvel do not have the rights to...
1) Jean Grey
2) Storm
3) Rogue
4) Invisible Woman
5) Psylocke

I would TOTALLY watch a retro Dazzler movie... but Marvel doesn't own the rights... do they?

I think the best bet... even though it's a bit derivative would be... She Hulk... there's name recognition... and there's definitely the comedy aspect to her...

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/powerherc/lists/favorite-marvel-heroes-female/21647/

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Any of them with the right script.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I think any female Marvel hero would be fine, the casting and story just has to be there very solid and done so from the get go.

Looking at the characters that Marvel has access to, My top picks would be Captain Marvel, Spider-Woman, She-Hulk and Black Widow. Which studio does Firestar fall under? I would think she would still be pretty well remembered from Amazing Friends.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Black Widow is a no-brainer.

It's a crime if they don't do something with Captain Marvel.

She-Hulk should be developed as a rom-com. After the Success of Guardians, there are no rules.
  • Options
    What could be done immediately? A Black Widow film.

What could be done with a bit of set-up in either the next Guardians film or the third Avengers movie? Captain Marvel.

What could be done with even less set-up (like, one, maybe two scenes - one to introduce Jen, and another to injure her and require the transfusion) in any Avengers film or another Hulk film? She-Hulk.

Firestar is in the X-Men universe, so those rights likely belong to Fox. I mean, she was an Avenger for about 10 minutes one time, so Marvel could *try* to use her under that banner, like they are doing with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, but that would be a *really* tough sell. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are Avengers mainstays... Firestar... not so much.

That said, if Fox and Sony could manage to work out a deal, it would be... well, amazing to see a Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends movie. Could be used to catapult solo films of both Ice Man and Firestar.

Of course, barring just an out and out percentage of those solo films, there is no upside for Sony to do that.

*sigh* Oh, well.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

What could be done immediately? A Black Widow film.

What could be done with a bit of set-up in either the next Guardians film or the third Avengers movie? Captain Marvel.

What could be done with even less set-up (like, one, maybe two scenes - one to introduce Jen, and another to injure her and require the transfusion) in any Avengers film or another Hulk film? She-Hulk.

Firestar is in the X-Men universe, so those rights likely belong to Fox. I mean, she was an Avenger for about 10 minutes one time, so Marvel could *try* to use her under that banner, like they are doing with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, but that would be a *really* tough sell. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are Avengers mainstays... Firestar... not so much.

That said, if Fox and Sony could manage to work out a deal, it would be... well, amazing to see a Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends movie. Could be used to catapult solo films of both Ice Man and Firestar.

Of course, barring just an out and out percentage of those solo films, there is no upside for Sony to do that.

*sigh* Oh, well.

I agree with this assessment. I know people like to reference Catwoman & Elektra, but I think Black Widow has something those characters didn't; prior exposure. Black Widow has been in 3 (almost 4) movies so far. Her role & importance has increased each time (well, we'll see with Avengers 2.) There's a solid foundation to build upon with a solid script.

Wouldn't Firestar actually be "New Warriors"? In the comics, I don't recall her spending AS much time with the X-Men as the New Warriors. It could be like the Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver situation.

M
  • Options
    I agree Captain Marvel would be next man woman up after Black Widow. As for introducing her, heck, how hard would it be to have Carol Danvers piloting a USAF jet in Age of Ultron?
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    I think instead of Marvel betting on solo female lead to carry a movie... may go the route of RUNAWAYS which is a female heavy team... and i think has a female leader...

i think Black Widow would be a good option, except does Marvel want to do another spy thriller... when that is already Captain America's realm... they don't want to steal Cap's thunder...

• Options
    Truthfully, I'm jazzed for the idea of a female led superhero movie. I want to see more diversity in the genre. There are a plethora of bitchin' characters to choose from. Let's continue to take chances!

M
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I think any female hero whether it be Marvel or DC could make a compelling movie if done right. Having said that, I would love to see:

Spider-Woman
    She-Hulk
    Black Widow
    Captain Marvel
    Storm
    Misty Knight and Colleen Wing
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Haven't you been reading the news?
    Thor!
    Duh.
  • Options
    @bamfbamf's suggestion of Dazzler is great. Wasn't there a "Dazzler - The Movie" Graphic Novel? Unfortunately, I think Ms. Blair is tied up with the X-Men license, so that is out.

Black Widow is a given.
    My vote is for Dakota North, Shanna the She-Devil, or Hellcat.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    i think you need to be able to pitch the movie in 10 seconds to the Suits...

and dazzler is such an easy pitch...
    "world's most popular singer discovers she's a mutant with the power to transmute sound into light... a secret villain wants to use her powers to end the world... 70's style disco hijinx ensues... starring selena gomez... may i have a blank check please?"

what is captain marvels pitch?
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Technically not just a female, but Cloak & Dagger would get my vote.

The pitch is simple: "Two runaway teens are given experimental street drug against their will and gain superpowers. They vow to use those powers to fight the dealers, pushers, and producers of the city."
  • Options
    You lost me at Selena Gomez.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Off topic, but I think Amethyst would make a great female lead for a kids movie. Or a Pixar-esque CG movie.

On topic, Black Widow is the given. She-Hulk would be great, but don't see it anytime soon. That would be more a Phase 4 movie I reckon.
  • Options
    Greg said:

or taylor swift or fill in the blank... =)
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Torchsong said:

Technically not just a female, but Cloak & Dagger would get my vote.

The pitch is simple: "Two runaway teens are given experimental street drug against their will and gain superpowers. They vow to use those powers to fight the dealers, pushers, and producers of the city."

That's sounds more like the next Netflix series. Either way I'm in.
  • Options
    Greg said:

Couldn't decide between "agree" or "LOL" so, being a man who values humor, I went "LOL".

• Options
    bamfbamf said:

Greg said:

Meh...if I didn't have to put up with years of Wizards of Waverly Place thanks to my daughter and hours upon hours of being assaulted by both ladies' music, maybe I could buy into that. Not sure who I would want for a Dazzler film.
  • Options
    Greg said:

bamfbamf said:

Greg said:

Meh...if I didn't have to put up with years of Wizards of Waverly Place thanks to my daughter and hours upon hours of being assaulted by both ladies' music, maybe I could buy into that. Not sure who I would want for a Dazzler film.
    I would suggest Lady GaGa, but that would require her to wear clothes closer to normal people...so obviously, she out.

M
  • Options
    count me in for cloak & dagger too
  • Options
    Now I have this horrible vision of the Dazzler leading lady being found in a special season of American Idol. Dammit.
  • Options
    Black Widow... possibly to tie-in with Captain America 3... forge a relationship with her and Bucky?

Captain Marvel: Somewhere in Phase 4, after GotG 2/Avengers 3. Kree tech ends up in the hands of SWORD/SHIELD (whatever is left), Carol Danvers is a former Air Force pilot who now works with SWORD who dreams of flying in space. Accident with Kree psyche-magnetron infuses her body with Kree DNA, giving her flight, strength, energy blasts. Conflict with Kree over psyche-magnetron and Carol herself.

She-Hulk would work better as a Netflix series.
  • Options
    I wonder if Agent Carter is successful it'll create a huge push to try a female leading movie. I wonder if the next wave of Netflix series will feature some more female characters to grow that demographic.

I'm still holding out for Black Panther to hit the big screen, not the small screen.

M
  • Options
    I feel like the only person who thinks a Black Widow movie would be a mistake. As a character I think what has worked best with Widow is her loyalty, reparte, reliability as support and ability to surprise those around her despite her perceived lack of power. But all if these things work in relation to other more powerful characters. On her own, I have trouble imagining a movie with her leading that would seem big enough for the Marvel banner. Especially when they are only doing 2 a year and still have to produce sequels to their already successful roster.

I could see Widow as the lead in a team-up movie like "Black Widow and Hawkeye", but it's hard to say how something like that would fit into Marvel's plans. I also could also see her as the lead is a show, maybe like the Netflix shows, where a cast of supporting characters can be built around her in a segment of the MCU where her abilities can seem truly special, but somehow I don't think Scarlett Johansen is looking to do TV.

I think Captain Marvel is the real no-brainer here. She has the power and the scope to be a truly independent franchise character.

I agree that some of the best women in Marvel are unfortunately locked up in franchises outside of Marvel's control.

So I'll throw out a left field choice: Patsy Walker, Hellcat... Especially if they go decide to go deeper into the occult side of the universe. Though she would also probably be better served by a TV show.
  • Options

So I'll throw out a left field choice: Patsy Walker, Hellcat... Especially if they go decide to go deeper into the occult side of the universe. Though she would also probably be better served by a TV show.

I'm really hoping for Patsy to show up in some form in the Netflix shows.
    I'm hoping for Night Nurse too (although that might be more than a stretch).
  • Options

I feel like the only person who thinks a Black Widow movie would be a mistake. As a character I think what has worked best with Widow is her loyalty, reparte, reliability as support and ability to surprise those around her despite her perceived lack of power. But all if these things work in relation to other more powerful characters. On her own, I have trouble imagining a movie with her leading that would seem big enough for the Marvel banner. Especially when they are only doing 2 a year and still have to produce sequels to their already successful roster.

I could see Widow as the lead in a team-up movie like "Black Widow and Hawkeye", but it's hard to say how something like that would fit into Marvel's plans. I also could also see her as the lead is a show, maybe like the Netflix shows, where a cast of supporting characters can be built around her in a segment of the MCU where her abilities can seem truly special, but somehow I don't think Scarlett Johansen is looking to do TV.

I think Captain Marvel is the real no-brainer here. She has the power and the scope to be a truly independent franchise character.

I agree that some of the best women in Marvel are unfortunately locked up in franchises outside of Marvel's control.

I actually see a Black Widow as kind of a hybrid movie. Using the movie Salt as a backbone to see her character move forward, but relying on flashbacks to help prop the story. The flashbacks would include a meeting with Barton, the Budepest mission, her run in with the Winter Soldier, her becoming Fury's loyal associate, getting the "Stark assignment", & a tie in meeting with Banner after the Avengers.

It would be primarily her movie, but guest cameos could be weaved into it to help the story without making it a team-up movie. I think making it a straight team-up movie would get some blowback; especially since it'd probably be with a male character.

M
  • Options
    What about X-23, use wolverine as a bridge and then work from there with her origin and then her path from there. To be honest i am not caught up on her as a character but she would be a good choice in my opinion.
  • Options
    Matt said:

It would be primarily her movie, but guest cameos could be weaved into it to help the story without making it a team-up movie. I think making it a straight team-up movie would get some blowback; especially since it'd probably be with a male character.

M

I think this is one of the problems Marvel has when it comes to Black Widow. They are in a corner right now. If she just the partner of some other guy they lose, but finding the right solo vehicle for her is not going to be easy. Especially with SHIELD gone but not gone. They can't really repeat her arc in Cap 2 with her on the run from the intelligence community. And who she is outside of being a spy, as a solo operator, I think will be difficult to figure out.

Personally, I think making her the leader of a team would probably be the best use of her as the lead. A Thunderbolts movie maybe? Reformed bad guys who can do what the Avengers can't? Damn, now I want to see that movie.