Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Most Prized Possession(s)?

Curious as to what everyone's most prized possessions are in their collections. It doesn't have to be a single book. Can be a run of books, original art, a particular theme in their collection, etc.

Mine is my Usagi Yojimbo collection. I have all 29 limited signed hardcovers, plus nine original commissions from Stan--I get a supporting character each year at SDCC.

Comments

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited August 2014
    "Brave and the Bold" #28

Bought it at a flea market circa 1977 or so when I was a stupid kid for like $1.00 or something, along with a few other silver age comics. The guy was bragging to his buddy how he had bought all these comics on the cheap from this old guy a couple of tables over. As stated, as I was just a stupid kid, it wasn't until a couple of years later that I learned it was one of the "Holy Grail" items of comic collecting.

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited August 2014
    All my bronze age books. I honestly couldn't pick any title or specific issue over another.

I take that back. There are two things that are a little more special over the rest. I had to rebuild my Marvel Two-In-One collection a few years ago, most of what I got came from Pants and JamieD hitting up WildPig sales. The other is Amazing Spider-Man #122, a gift from JamieD and it was completely unexpected.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm glad you said possessions (plural) - I don't know that I could limit it to just one thing...

Original Art - I have 4 - after wife and pets are out - these are what I grab in case of fire.
    - Original page of Giffen art from Son of Ambush Bug #2 (where he gets out of Hell by finding the exit which leads to New York)
    - Original sketch by George Perez of Terra smoking a cigarette
    - Commission by Michael Golden of Marionette (Micronauts)
    - (Just acquired!) Original cel of Melfina holding an apple from the anime Outlaw Star

Books
    - I don't get as attached to them, but I do prize the books that would drop my review quotes on the back cover when I'd said something particularly poignant. Pretty much all manga.

• Options
    My full run of Green Lantern Vol3.
    It is my favorite of my possessions because I spent a long time finding and collecting the whole run, also it features crazy Hal and the creation of my favorite GL Kyle Rayner.

Next to that it would more than likely be my IronMan #1, It isnt in great condition but its great to look at.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Detective Comics 437-444: The Goodwin/Simonson Manhunter saga.
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    edited August 2014
    -Green Lantern #40 (The origin of the Guardians and, by proxy, the origin of the Multiverse)

-The GL/GA complete TPB signed by BOTH Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams

-On a related note, GL/GA issue #85. Again, signed by both (scanned before I got Denny to sign it)

-A copy of 'Seduction of the Innocent' that I own. Not a first edition, but since it took me FOREVER to find a single copy (original OR reprint) I'm just happy to have one.

-A page of art from the Kyle Rayner run of GL (#180) that reminds me of my mother (who is still with us, thank God, but whom I have a hard time expressing my love for in a way that is evident to everyone else)

-And, though I love ALL of my commissions, by current favorite is of Grundy by Scott Kolins.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    It would be a tie between the cover art to my first book, Modern Masters Vol. 1: Alan Davis—which is actually two pieces of art: the watercolored main figures on one board and the penciled background on another—and the pencil commission of Hedy Lamarr by Nick Cardy. (Sorry, I don't have either posted anywhere, so I can't link to them.)
  • Options
    I know who she is (gorgeous and fantastic actress BTW) but every time someone says her name THIS is what immediately pops into my head...

• Options
    Give the Governor a "harumph!"
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

I know who she is (gorgeous and fantastic actress BTW)

Not to mention the inventor of frequency-hopping!
  • Options
    The Flash is my favorite character and Carmine Infantino is *my* Flash artist. When he passed, I finally pulled the trigger on a piece of original art from his second run.

George Perez is my favorite comic artist. I met him a few times, got a sketch and some signatures and a picture with him, but this piece from his Avengers run with Kurt Busiek is my favorite Perez "thing" in my collection

And, finally, back in the early 90s, when we had a good comic shop owner here in the area, we had an annual convention in Bangor, Maine that was quickly becoming a big deal (The Simonsons were regulars, along with Jon Bogdanove who was on Superman: Man of Steel at the time, and we also hosted Humberto Ramos in his first American convention and had the Milestone crew at the final show - it was great). Anyway, Mart Nodell was a special guest at one of the conventions and I got an original watercolor from him for fifty bucks - what a steal! This is probably my favorite piece in my collection.

chris
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    WetRats said:

I know who she is (gorgeous and fantastic actress BTW)

Not to mention the inventor of frequency-hopping!
    Technically speaking, my wife commissioned the Hedy Lamarr drawing (my wife being a scientist herself). And that leads to why the drawing means so much to me (beyond the fact that Nick drew it). The last couple of years Nick was alive, he tended to forget people's names, especially people he cared about but did see very often. Whenever I talked with him on the phone, he would ask about my wife, and when he couldn't remember her name he would call her Hedy. It became something of a running gag with us. So that's one piece I'll never part with.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    My set of all of the DC Archives for Legion of Super Heroes. It took a long time to find some of the out of print volumes at a reasonable price.
  • Options
    phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    When I had the collection I might have said a specific book, like ASM #1. But as time and age give me wisdom, it was probably the memories of my Dad taking me to my first comic con, getting my collection of Conan started….. basically him indulging me in my interests, which including playing guitar, collecting ball cards, and the comic collection.

So as corny as it sounds, my prized possessions are the memories of doing this hobby with my Dad, then the memories of my boys collecting books with me when they were young. (We have 3 short boxes of books the boys and I put together - those did not get sold) If I could go back in time, I would have kept the early Conan's my Dad bought me in high school….. unfortunately I sold those when I was in grad school so I could buy Christmas presents for my family.

I still have a 1936 Flash Gordon coloring book that was my Dad's. The cover is detached, but its complete. It had somehow survived my Dad and all my cousins and was sitting in the "toy box" at my Grandmother's house. I also have a Big Big Book "Buck Jones and the Midnight Riders" that was Dad's. I had it restored years ago and a clam-shell box made for it. It sits proudly as part of my architecture library. I also rescued it out of the "toy box" when I was in high school.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Lots of things including my collected as they came out Warrior run.
    But there are these two

And this because of the signature and the moment it represented.
  • Options
    I'm not familiar with the historical aspect of #33. What happened?
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    @CageNarleigh‌ the moment was meeting Stan the Man at my first big convention LSCC 2012

But ASM #33 is also a great Spidey moment as he overcomes the odds to break out from under the heavy machinery with some brilliant full page story telling from Ditko. Neil Gaiman called it one of the top ten moments in superhero comics in the "In search of Ditko" documentary.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Hulk 180 & 181 probably in VF condition.