Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Murd's Time Bubble Talkback: The Sixteenth Time

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited April 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
The Time Odyssey continues! Murd finally gets around to discussing a few things that were actually published in 2001, including Hal Jordan as the Spectre; the Hulk and Killraven according to Marvel Knights; and a little-remembered JLA fifth-week event. Plus, the customary cannonade of quick pops! (1:30:36)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Well, that satisfies my "I wonder if any of the CGS guys are also sports fans" curiosity...

:)
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Thanks Murd for the latest edition this morning even if I have not read any of the comics in this podcast. Have a great weekend!

Matthew
  • Options
    mbatzmbatz Posts: 63
    Nice! i JUST listened to the "fifteenth" time so this is like perfect timing from my perspective:)

P.S loved the Legacy Virus talk on the last ep....
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Eddies in the time stream have caused the happenings at Citizens Bank Park to bleed through! All things considered, not a place to wind up, ridiculous lines at the Geno's Steaks concessions aside.
  • Options
    MurrayMurray Posts: 29
    Hey Adam... also listened and enjoyed to the latest podcast. You've piqued my interest in Killraven (the War of the Worlds concept sounds kinda cool to explore) and the JLA fifth week event. Hope you've got some more of those JL As waiting to be read. I'm trying to remember what some of the others were. JLAtlantis... JLAmazon maybe. I'm clueless about the rest.
  • Options
    As much as it sounds right up my alley, I've never read Big Bang Comics, at least not outside the times the characters showed up in the Alan Moore issues of Supreme. I am remembering that correctly... at least a few of them showed up there (at least until Rob took his toys away from Image), right?

Anyway, this sounds like an oversight I need to fix ASAP.
  • Options
    Eddies in the time stream have caused the happenings at Citizens Bank Park to bleed through! All things considered, not a place to wind up, ridiculous lines at the Geno's Steaks concessions aside.
    Pah. Waiting in line for cheesesteaks is for chumps without time machines. :>

But seriously, Bill, you definitely should try a few issues of Big Bang. The stories found therein do a commendable job of capturing the look, feel, and tone of classic Marvel and DC characters (mostly the latter), and of the assorted "Ages" of comics history in which those characters have appeared and developed, all without feeling like mere carbon-copies of their source material AND without lapsing into cynical satire of said material.

As to Big Bang characters appearing in Moore's Supreme, I think you're remembering The Allies, as seen in Supreme #48, and confusing them with Big Bang's Round Table of America. (However, Mighty Man did appear in both titles, so you are remembering correctly!)
  • Options
    Hey Adam... also listened and enjoyed to the latest podcast. You've piqued my interest in Killraven (the War of the Worlds concept sounds kinda cool to explore) and the JLA fifth week event. Hope you've got some more of those JL As waiting to be read. I'm trying to remember what some of the others were. JLAtlantis... JLAmazon maybe. I'm clueless about the rest.
    The only other splinter group to get its own one-shot was JLAliens, starring J'onn J'onzz and Superman. There were a few others--Plastic Man's "Justice League of Anarchy," fr'instance--but they were all relegated to cameos in the eponymous one-shots of other "Leagues."

I do recommend Killraven to you, Murray; it sounds like your kinda thing! :) And I'd expect you'd be able to find the Essential Killraven at a pretty good discount at FanExpo!

• Options

But seriously, Bill, you definitely should try a few issues of Big Bang. The stories found therein do a commendable job of capturing the look, feel, and tone of classic Marvel and DC characters (mostly the latter), and of the assorted "Ages" of comics history in which those characters have appeared and developed, all without feeling like mere carbon-copies of their source material AND without lapsing into cynical satire of said material.

As to Big Bang characters appearing in Moore's Supreme, I think you're remembering The Allies, as seen in Supreme #48, and confusing them with Big Bang's Round Table of America. (However, Mighty Man did appear in both titles, so you are remembering correctly!)
    Yup, I was definitely confusing the Round Table with the Allies. Mighty Man was a big part of the mix-up, and I was also confusing the Knight Watchman with the Allies' Professor Night. What does one take for an analogue-induced headache? :D

And yeah, I definitely plan on tracking this series down. I've been wanting to re-read Moore's Supreme, I am re-reading 1963 (the issues I have... still need 2), and I've pre-ordered the Radioactive Man hardcover. I'm definitely on a "well-crafted love letter (with the occasional hint of satire) to comics ages of yore" kick right now.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    When you started talking about the Justice Leagues crossover, I could have sworn there was a Justice League Apes as part of that crossover, but I was wrong and that was it's own crossover.

I remember the Justice Leagues crossover. Or I should say I remember the concept but nothing about the stories, which should say all you need to know really.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    And also, there should be a box you can check before closing the Phillies videos that says to enable/disable "Live Look-In." But the way this year is going, you might not want to watch anyway.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Justice League Apes :(|) - never saw that cover (like those bananas) - guess it didn't make it to over here. I'm kind of curious now. Is the story/art so wacky it is actually good? Or at least entertaining enough to go search for the issue(s)? I like me some apes.
  • Options
    bendoc55bendoc55 Posts: 14
    Awesome episode Adam. I got hornswoggled into running a 10 mile road race and listened to your episode throughout. Couldn't have done it without you. Time flew...so to speak.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    @bendoc55 CGS improving the pace? - awesome!
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    When you started talking about the Justice Leagues crossover, I could have sworn there was a Justice League Apes as part of that crossover, but I was wrong and that was it's own crossover.
    When I saw the description of this episode, I thought JLApe was going to the be forgotten 5th week event that you were going to talk about. I'm a bit dissapointed that I forgot it was an Annual series.

As for JA? itself, I don't think I have read this since it came out but I think I got the same feeling of "meh" for the whole series that it seems like you did from this one issue.

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    The only other splinter group to get its own one-shot was JLAliens, starring J'onn J'onzz and Superman. There were a few others--Plastic Man's "Justice League of Anarchy," fr'instance--but they were all relegated to cameos in the eponymous one-shots of other "Leagues."

I do recommend Killraven to you, Murray; it sounds like your kinda thing! :) And I'd expect you'd be able to find the Essential Killraven at a pretty good discount at FanExpo!

Killraven is an amazing series that sadly got canceled before the storyline could be properly wrapped up. The Essential Killraven trade is one of the best Essentials Marvel has put out. I would love for Marvel to put out a new monthly Killraven series. I want to say I heard Killraven made some appearences recently in the Avengers. But I haven't read those,mainly cause I don't like Bendis on the Avengers.

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

I will also recomend the Essential Killraven trade. I got it a few years ago,mainly cause after seeing Killraven in OHTMU deluxe edition I had been interested in reading more. Well I could never find the issues for a decent price. But got the Essential from IST. And ended up reading all or most of it during one long ass shift at my last job. It is a great science fiction story that captures the old pulp feel. Plus the P.Craig Russell artwork looks amazing even in b/w.
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    wow...i'm doing a Murd on Murd's Time Bubble! the last episode i listened to was the 3rd!!
  • Options
    bendoc55bendoc55 Posts: 14
    Murd, I understand the 10 year backlog situation. I'm curious though. If you pick up some back issue from well before your reading present i.e 2001, let's say an old Freedom Fighters from the 70s, would you read it now or would it go to the bottom of the pile? Do only new comics enter their comic geologic strata in a specific order?
  • Options
    KojakKojak Posts: 2
    Another thrilling episode, good sir. What I enjoy most about your podcast is the nostalgic joy I receive from reliving my comic book past while you live out your comic book present. I also enjoyed (as I always do) your contributions to the first episode of "MARVEL IN THE 2000S."

My question: Have you ever considered selling books in your backlog? For example, in the Marvel in the 2000s episode, you mention having read Origin #1. I know with relative certainty that issue at one time sold for a significant amount of money (I missed out on it when released and considered paying $25 for it at one point). If you were to sell it, would you at some point replace it (in the same spot I could only assume) with either a trade or reprint issue (I eventually bought the Must-haves that had this issue in it) or not replace it at all? If you choose not to sell it, would it give you satisfaction if the book decreased in value (as Origin #1 has)? These are the weird kinds of things my brain thinks about. Now, if we could only find a way to get this podcast to be bi-weekly (especially during the "busy times" in Stone Harbor). Cheers to you, Mr. Murdough and thank you for all you do.
  • Options
    Adam_MurdoughAdam_Murdough Posts: 506
    Justice League Apes :(|) - never saw that cover (like those bananas) - guess it didn't make it to over here. I'm kind of curious now. Is the story/art so wacky it is actually good? Or at least entertaining enough to go search for the issue(s)? I like me some apes.
    Well, it's mildly wacky, but it actually takes itself a lot more seriously than you'd expect it to. At its core, JLApe is a pretty typical, albeit greater than average in length and scope, Grodd/Gorilla City story that happens to involve the entire JLA, rather than just the Flash. For me, the most memorable thing about it was the Art Adams covers, but if you're an ape aficionado, it's probably worth your time. (Hey, it features a giant robot ape piloted by a normal-sized ape--and he's one of the good guys!)
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    wow...i'm doing a Murd on Murd's Time Bubble! the last episode i listened to was the 3rd!!
    Welcome to the future! Of the past!!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Murd, I understand the 10 year backlog situation. I'm curious though. If you pick up some back issue from well before your reading present i.e 2001, let's say an old Freedom Fighters from the 70s, would you read it now or would it go to the bottom of the pile? Do only new comics enter their comic geologic strata in a specific order?
    First of all, let me tell you how honored I am to have been your audio pacesetter of choice for a ten-miler! I've done my share of distance running, and I know how important it is to find just the right mental metronome to help you measure your strides as you go. Frankly, I'm amazed that listening to my voice intoning in your ear actually helped you during your hours of exertion, but if it did, one runner to another, I'm thrilled! \m/

Now as to your question (and I love the geological metaphor, btw!): it is true that the great majority of the back issues I buy, especially those that were published earlier than 2001, are immediately subducted deep into the bedrock at the very bottom of my to-read pile, BUT there are exceptions.

There are, for instance, several older series (e.g., Infinity Inc., Superman Family, Quasar, various Marvel and DC team-up titles of yesteryear) of which I'm collecting complete runs, my intention being to read these series in their proper order once said complete runs have been assembled. Thus, whenever I buy an issue of one of these series, it goes not into the master pile, but into a smaller auxiliary pile dedicated just to that series.

And sometimes... just sometimes... I'm so excited by a new acquisition that I fling willpower to the wind and read it right away!! >-) (Funny you should mention the Freedom Fighters, because that's kinda what I did with that series--although I did restrain myself enough to hold the issues of FF in reserve to read on patriotic holidays, instead of simply devouring them directly after purchase!)
  • Options
    Another thrilling episode, good sir. What I enjoy most about your podcast is the nostalgic joy I receive from reliving my comic book past while you live out your comic book present. I also enjoyed (as I always do) your contributions to the first episode of "MARVEL IN THE 2000S."

My question: Have you ever considered selling books in your backlog? For example, in the Marvel in the 2000s episode, you mention having read Origin #1. I know with relative certainty that issue at one time sold for a significant amount of money (I missed out on it when released and considered paying $25 for it at one point). If you were to sell it, would you at some point replace it (in the same spot I could only assume) with either a trade or reprint issue (I eventually bought the Must-haves that had this issue in it) or not replace it at all? If you choose not to sell it, would it give you satisfaction if the book decreased in value (as Origin #1 has)? These are the weird kinds of things my brain thinks about. Now, if we could only find a way to get this podcast to be bi-weekly (especially during the "busy times" in Stone Harbor). Cheers to you, Mr. Murdough and thank you for all you do.
    You're most welcome! :)

Like my friend and colleague Mr. B. Christman, I view collecting comics as a one-way process, and I doubt I could bring myself to sell many, if any, of the comics I now own (duplicates excluded, of course), especially not if I haven't read them yet! Sentimental value aside, they're too useful to me as a reference library. Hypothetically, though, if I did sell a comic such as Origin #1, whether or not I'd then rebuy it in reprint form would depend on how much I happened to enjoy that comic and/or how great the likelihood that I might need to read it again someday (i.e., as research for a CGS episode or an article or something). Having finally read Origin #1 last week, at this point I'd say I'd choose not to rebuy it if I sold it, if only because so many of my friends have TPBs that I could borrow in an emergency. And it actually does give me satisfaction to know that some of the comics in my collection do have considerable monetary value, even if I'll likely never capitalize on it.
  • Options
    I ordered a few Big Bang Comics back issues through mycomicshop.com - mostly ones featuring either Mighty Man or Thunder Girl so I could get my pseudo-Marvel Family fix - and they came the other day, so I'm looking forward to cracking them open and giving them a read.