Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1513 Talkback - Comic Book Movie and TV Talk

Comic Talk goes Hollywood in this episode, and the profusion of recent comics-related TV premieres and film project announcements have given us plenty to talk about! Settle in for an extra-length marathon conversation encompassing the long-term cinematic agendas of both Marvel and DC/Warner, the current-seasons-to-date of TV shows from 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' to 'Arrow', and other goodies. Don't forget the popcorn! (1:55:02)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Some of you may have seen my post in the DC and/or Marvel threads, but here is a updated constant time timeline of superhero movies through 2020 and beyond.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    edited November 2014
    I'm struggling with Benedict Cumberbatch as Strange. In a different thread, I described my distaste of "magicians" being portrayed like 19th century stage actors. And, while I've liked Cumberbatch in everything I've seen him in, the voice and mannerisms coupled with Strange's costume make me think of Master Thespian.
  • Options
  • Options
    rebis said:

I'm struggling with Benedict Cumberbatch as Strange. In a different thread, I described my distaste of "magicians" being portrayed like 19th century stage actors. And, while I've liked Cumberbatch in everything I've seen him in, the voice and mannerisms coupled with Strange's costume make me think of Master Thespian.

A couple good chuckles.

But I can't imagine Cumberbatch would be a tenth that bad.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    I'm most interested to see what happens when Hemsworth, Jackman, Evans, Downey, etc move on. Marvel's asset is Tony Stark not RDJ. Eventually, all these characters/films will need to be rebooted. I dig Jackman as Wolverine but he's been the onscreen version of Logan for nearly 15 years! For the sake of perspective, Sean Connery's core Bond films only spanned 1962-1971. Shouldn't each new generation of moviegoers get their own set of actors essaying the parts? Part of the fun of the Bond, Superman, Batman media is comparing & contrasting.

At what point does Marvel/Disney find the next hunky blond to pick up Thor's hammer?

Finally, I really like Andrew Garfield's Spidey. He's got the posture/attitude just right. Plus he has the advantage of not being Toby McGuire. There's something about him I just don't like. He's the Chris Hardwick of superhero actors.
  • Options
    I do not want Benetint Cosmetics as Doctor Strange. It's just an uninspired pick. Bowlerhat Curmudgeon is a part of way too many franchises to start with.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Personally, I'm looking forward to that deep voice bellowing, "By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth!"
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Personally, I'm looking forward to that deep voice bellowing, "By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth!"

If he can pull off a Nebraskan accent, then I'm good with it.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    rebis said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

A puffy blue shirt, black leggings, a high collared red cape, and a pencil mustache...being able to pull off a Nebraskan accent is the least of his worries.
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    GOTHAM - I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only one who's not feeling Jada Pinkett-Smith's performance as Fish Mooney, or the character herself. I'm hot and cold when it comes to Jada; I enjoy some performances far better than others. Her performance as Fish annoys the hell out of me. "Harvey Daaaahling" OMG! She's definitely my least favorite aspect of the show. On the other hand, I can't get enough of Robin Lord Taylor's performance as Oswald 'Penguin' Cobblepot. This actor is awesome and he's definitely the main draw for me. Plus, that twist at the end of this week's episode with Falconi was splendid. I can't wait for Oswald to get his revenge on Fishy.

Can someone explain to me how that bald headed killer, whose name escapes me, and his two sidekicks could empty out a whole police station, leaving Jim Gordon to fend for himself, just by yelling at the cops to do so? Did I miss a scene? Did he tell them there were bombs underneath the police station or something like that? Is this character from the comics and does he have a reputation that would scare cops away? That particular moment really annoyed me. Overall though, I'm enjoying the show more than any of the other comic based shows on TV now, well except for The Walking Dead.
  • Options
    I think the scene in the police station i(I won't say who he is I case someone wants to watch it and see for themselves) is meant to show just how corrupt the police are. A criminal working for the big crime boss can just order them out.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    @Pants -- no Doctor Who talk?
  • Options

I think the scene in the police station i(I won't say who he is I case someone wants to watch it and see for themselves) is meant to show just how corrupt the police are. A criminal working for the big crime boss can just order them out.

Thanks Shane! I still find that rather silly that a whole entire big city police precint would just empty out like that. I'm enjoying the show for the most part but it does have those moments that just strains credibility, even for a comic based show like this.

• Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    fredzilla said:

@Pants -- no Doctor Who talk?

Shane was a few episodes behind at the time of the recording. Hopefully he will get caught up so we can talk about the finale.
  • Options
    Dman, oh you are right a bit silly that everyone would leave but it is what it is.

On Doctor Who, I am all caught up except the finale which I will watch before the next recording.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    My family and I have been enjoying Doctor Who. Capaldi's first few episodes were a little jarring for my wife and son because the only doctor they knew was Matt Smith. But I think it's been a fun ride.

I think my favorite show this season though is The Flash. It's the only show, besides Doctor Who, that we all watch as a family.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

rebis said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

A puffy blue shirt, black leggings, a high collared red cape, and a pencil mustache...being able to pull off a Nebraskan accent is the least of his worries.
    True, but it comes back to my first point ... ACTING!
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    rebis said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

rebis said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

True, but it comes back to my first point ... ACTING!
    To quote Timothy Dalton's character in the Rocketeer (Neville Sinclair):

"It's called acting."

M
  • Options
    Dman said:

Can someone explain to me how that bald headed killer, whose name escapes me, and his two sidekicks could empty out a whole police station, leaving Jim Gordon to fend for himself, just by yelling at the cops to do so? Did I miss a scene?

Zsasz – I think that’s the right spelling. I was surprised to even see him pop up as a hit man. Apart from being a generation too soon, he was a serial killer who notched his body every time he killed a victim. He had a belief that they were already dead anyway and that he was just finishing the job. He also showed up in the first Dark Knight movie.

None of which actually answers your question. I just assumed the scene was built on the premise of “Hey, wouldn’t it look cool if --?”
  • Options

Dman said:

Can someone explain to me how that bald headed killer, whose name escapes me, and his two sidekicks could empty out a whole police station, leaving Jim Gordon to fend for himself, just by yelling at the cops to do so? Did I miss a scene?

Zsasz – I think that’s the right spelling. I was surprised to even see him pop up as a hit man. Apart from being a generation too soon, he was a serial killer who notched his body every time he killed a victim. He had a belief that they were already dead anyway and that he was just finishing the job. He also showed up in the first Dark Knight movie.

None of which actually answers your question. I just assumed the scene was built on the premise of “Hey, wouldn’t it look cool if --?”
    One of the things I do love about this show, including the Zsasz-Spazz and the police precint incident, is that it really does show, even in its first season, why Jim Gordon eventually becomes police commissioner. He is such a bad ass. I love the way he's being written and the actor, Ben McKenzie, is doing a great job.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    My thought on the MCCU success vs the DCCU missteps is that Marvel had lots of years of watching other studios screw up their properties and learned from the mistakes made by the other studios and developed their own studio and culture. DC, on the other hand, has to deal with the existing Warner Brothers culture.
  • Options
    First thing to touch on is the movie news. I agree that if there is one or two movies that just completely tank, then the likelihood of these other movies being made is reduced (even for Marvel). But with that said, I am excited about all of this movie news. I do wish that Black Widow had received a solo movie, but we don't know the ins and outs of why that didn't happen for sure.

As far as the TV stuff, it is a great time to be a comic geek. I absolutely love Gotham. Does it go a little over the top at times? Sure, but I don't always read that as it trying to remind us that it's a comic book story. I just read it as the feel they were going for to tell these stories for this show. I am a huge fan of Gordon and Bullock. I identify a lot with Gordon, but I like how Bullock counters that. I didn't like Alfred in the first episode, but I really like him now. Bruce is actually another character I like a lot. I have no problem with him figuring stuff out already because I read it as showing he has an innate talent for that type of observation....which he never was exposed to explore when his parents were alive. After the second episode, I really liked Selina Kyle. Penguin has grown a lot as a character and really enjoy what he is doing (though his mother drives me a bit crazy). I don't care for Fish Mooney, and hoping the whole plot with her goes away by the end of this season.

I am still loving Arrow. I have been a fan since the beginning and it is only getting better. I have heard complaints about everyone eventually being able to fight and being part of the team....but how is this any different than the comics. All of these characters that are becoming fighters are all in the comics.

I really like Constantine, although I watched the original pilot online and they changed the whole ending with the character that he saves. Liv was supposed to be part of the show permanently, but then they changed that ending completely to go a different way with the series. It's just a shame to invest so much into a character in the first episode to only have her never appear again. Other than that, I love each new episode more than the previous one. Some definite Dr. Who elements in that show with the base being bigger on the inside, Constantine having a companion, and the playing card that can look like whatever the user wants it to be.

I adore the Flash, and this is probably my favorite of the comic shows because like it was said on the episode, it's not trying to be dark. Much like Shane, I love that intro with the monologue because it reminds me so much of the comics. I wish Barry and Felicity did just get together, but we all knew that would never happen. I love all of the easter eggs and hope they mean lead ins to characters in the future like Firestorm, Vibe, Killer Frost, and Cobalt Blue. Such a fun show and I really enjoy every episode. I echo the happiness in seeing Captain Cold with a gun and I also squealed when I saw the newspaper about the Crisis. I heard another theory that Wells may be Abracadabra since he came from the future also.

I am still enjoying Agents of SHIELD and agree that it has only been getting better, especially this season. And I am still loving The Walking Dead.
  • Options
    You guys talked about how Thea will probably become Speedy officially. Here is another reason that is likely and a nod to that happening. When Ollie found her overseas she said that over there she is known as Mia. Mia is the name of the new female Speedy that was in DC comics before the new 52.
  • Options
    Good call on Mia, I forgot that.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    edited February 2015
    Catching up on old episodes that I missed. Wow, interesting thoughts and ideas about the movies and TV. Looking back, it's interesting that Spider-man is indeed SORT OF back in the Marvel Studios fold. It was also interesting to hear about anticipation of the end of the Agents of SHIELD fall season and Agent Carter starting. The discussion about Arrow, Flash, and Gotham was also cool. I really need to get caught up on all of those.
    Yay!! My 300th post! Hm....now the forum says I have 301. Which one was 300?