Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1514 Talkback - Off the Racks: Sirens #1, Treehouse of Horrors #20, and Doctor Mirage #1

The Geeks are surprised at their reactions (pleasantly in one case, far less so in another) to the comics highlighted in this month's all-independent edition of Off the Racks: The Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror #20 (Bongo), George Perez's Sirens #1 (BOOM!), and The Death-Defying Dr. Mirage #1 (Valiant). (1:06:52)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Going to be listening to this today. I'm very curious to hear what you have to say about George Perez's Sirens. Can't wait to hear this.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited November 2014
    There is a scene in The Neverending Story where Atreyu must travel through the Swamp of Sadness. After his horse gives up he has to plod through the muck on his own. Atreyu is slowly pulled down into the mire with each sucking step...down..down..until only his face is able to crest the sludge.....that's a bit like trying to get through Sirens #1.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Wow. It's that bad, huh? That's a shame. I have gotten to the part in the episode where everyone hates Sirens but haven't gotten to the actual review. This is kind of a shame since I love Perez as a creator. Oh well. I guess it's a pass for me.
  • Options
    Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    Gentlemen, as much as it pains me I have to agree with your comments on SIRENS #1. This series, along with Walt Simonson's RAGNARÖK, have been two of my most-anticipated upcoming projects for the last year.

I've been following interviews with the esteemed Mr. Pérez since this was announced, and was really looking forward to seeing it all together in the finished issue. But like most of you, the amount of text was... daunting to say the least. And while I've never shied away from a heavy read, I echo your comments that it was in many ways a whole lot of nothing. And your comments on the art, specifically the coloring, were spot-on as well. This was just so disappointing on so many levels. I'm really hoping that Shane's comments prove true and that subsequent issues prove far better. George is an absolute favorite of mine, and I had the pleasure of speaking with and getting a sketch from him at the Pittsburgh Comicon this past September. I want so much to like this series. But when again compared to the first issue of RAGNARÖK, which is a thing of absolute beauty both in art and narrative, it falls woefully short.

I've no comments on your other selections, as I've not read them. But @ShaneKelly, regarding JUSTICE LEAGUE 3000, I'm taking a different approach than you. While you're catching up on the series in anticipation of the return of the Blue & Gold, I'll begin reading it with their arrival and take the journey with them; being every bit as confused along the way as they are and hoping the creative team explains things as they go.

Excellent episode as always, gentlemen. Looking forward to the next new one.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited November 2014
    Clearly no one at BOOM! has enough cajones to edit Perez the way DC or Marvel could do it. Perez is SO talented, but this issue was a bloated mess. So disappointing.
  • Options
    @Thor_El‌, interesting approach. I had not thought of that.
  • Options
    penn2kpenn2k Posts: 30
    edited November 2014
    In September, my LCS was lucky enough to be one of the stores on Mr. Perez's national signing tour for 'Sirens' and I got to spend several hours with this living legend. When he asked what we thought about the book, our comments were similar to yours ( it was very dense, etc... ), and he gave us some background info: Seems 'Sirens' was supposed to be a longer series, and it was cut back to 6. Also, BOOM! insisted on a major cliffhanger at the end of the first issue, so there was a lot more in that issue than he originally intended. He did say it should space out better in future issues. Some of the other issues were in the physical production of the book - the coloring and printing specifically. And finally, you need to remember he has occasionally been drawing with one good eye recently. Considering the absolute class this gentleman exhibits with his fans at conventions and appearances, plus his overall body of work, I'll be giving 'Sirens' a little more time to get better.
  • Options
    I was planning on picking up Sirens #1 until listening to the podcast (although @penn2k‌ has me rethinking my position yet again). The other 2 books I don't think would be my cup of tea though.

Can not agree enough about "Grayson: Future's End." What a clever book. I too read it front to back and then again from back to front. I was a little disappointed my own #cluemaster attempt went unnoticed by @Pants‌ a couple of months back. :-)
  • Options
    I have not read any of these off the racks, but I still really enjoyed the episode. I did pick up Sirens #1, but I have not read it yet....and now I don't want to.

I have read though some of the ones Chris mentioned. I read Starlight and loved that. I just wish it could have been an ongoing because I really loved it and thought it built a world that could have a lot of storytelling done.

I really liked the first issue of War Stories and have the second one on my stack to read. I thought it was very well done.

I totally agree with the superb sentiments towards Futures End Grayson. I don't think you need to be reading Futures End at all to enjoy that story. I did not pick up on this until a friend pointed it out, but for those who read the issue, the very first surprise on page one, I was sad about, but then a friend points out the factors in the issue about the rope and burning substance, so the scene we see might not be as grim as it first appears to be (trying not to spoil anything for those that didn't read it but still point to stuff for those that have and maybe didn't have it click like it didn't for me).
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    My takes on the two off-the-rack issues I've read:
    Sirens #1: BORROW/PANTS: I give it maybe a slight borrow only because I'll be reading it up through issue #4, but wow...it was quite a chore to get through and it didn't seem like real Perez artwork. Yeah, due to the writing I had bad flashbacks about that Superman #1. And I don't know if Chris is right about the artist/colorist problem or not, but I hope it gets better.

Death-defying Dr. Mirage #1: BUY! This was my comic of the month for September (the top one out of 40). I thought the concept was interesting and the artwork really fit the concept.

Shane's review of the Simpson's/Bongo comic exactly sums up why I didn't get it even though it was part of the off-the-rack. Every time I read a Simpson, it was sort of like something to read to take up some time.

Oh, as for Shane's "mistake" of getting the plus edition. I got that one also, but I don't think it cost any more than the regular on DCBS. I stopped reading when I got to the bonus content in the middle before deciding to just skip it all together. I'm glad I did.

Oh my! Pants! Thanks for the heads up about the Cluemaster's code. And I didn't even read the story back-to-front. Gotta get on that!