Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Best Doctor Who Christmas Episode?

My Favourite has to be The End of Time Part 1 - it also helps that David Tennant was my favourite Doctor!

Comments

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Even though I have problems with End of Time, I might have to agree with you, probably because it's the least Christmasy of all the specials. Not to be a Scrooge, but one of the oddest things about New Who has been the endless parade of Christmas specials. I have no problem with them doing a special episode to fill in the gap between seasons, but for the Doctor to suddenly have big things occur on Christmas when he managed to go 40 years without having to do so has always annoyed me a little. When they do stuff like name the city Matt Smith dies in Christmas, it just feels silly and forced.

However, judging them as Christmas specials, I would have to go with Christmas Carol - it did the best job of dealing with the holiday, and telling a good Doctor Who story. If Who were an American show, they would probably just rerun that episode every Christmas, because it pretty much gets everything right.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I love Christmas Carol and have had a big mad crush on Katherine Jenkins since It aired.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I gotta say that I have loved all of the Matt Smith specials. Not sure which one is my all-time favorite though.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    I just noticed this thread.
    Coincidentally, this is the same question posed to our Wanderers in the 4th Dimension podcast listeners earlier this evening. If you wish to reiterate your answers to this question on our Facebook page as well, your replies may be eligible to be read on the podcast.

As for myself, I'll echo rebis' sentiments. Katherine Jenkins truly earns her "Voice of an Angel" description. Good Lord, that woman can sing. The Christmas Carol episode worked for me on many levels. The singing, the story, the ambiance, it had it all. I've re-watched it every year since it first aired, and I plan to continue that tradition for years to come.

Though not asked for, the worst Christmas special (IMO) has to be The Feast of Steven.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Christmas Carol was probably the best of the bunch for all the reasons mentioned, but I always liked The Next Doctor, too. I thought Jackson Lake and Rosita were fun characters (despite the tragedy inherent in Jackson's story), and it was the first time (and, sadly, one of the few times overall) the current series used the Cybermen in a way I thought was half-decent. Yes, the giant Mecha-Cyber-King tromping on London was silly, but in the best possible way.

Plus, I liked Jackson's TARDIS ("Tethered Aerial Release, Designed In Style!") and sonic screwdriver ("Well... it makes a noise, doesn't it?"). I love a good, clever/dumb gag.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited December 2014
    In an alternate universe, this one.

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

I just noticed this thread.

Though not asked for, the worst Christmas special (IMO) has to be The Feast of Steven.

I've read before that if there were ever one episode that we're likely to never see recovered, it would be that one.

Having seen the reconstruction of it, I'm actually okay with that.