Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1522 Talkback: Off the Racks: All-New Captain America #1, Capture Creatures #1, and ODY-C #1

Come along with us: On a hunt for adorable little pocket-monsters (BOOM!'s Capture Creatures #1)! On a psychedelic space odyssey with Captain Odyssia and her doomed crew of starship sisters (Image's ODY-C #1)! On Sam Wilson's high-flying first mission in the role of Captain America (Marvel's All-New Captain America #1)! Adventure is always ON the agenda when CGS goes OFF the Racks!

Listen to the show!

And to hear about @Pants‌' deer troubles, download the Bonus Content on the Comic Geek Speak App, available on iOS and Android!

Comments

• bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Oof - you guys are gonna convince me to buy another app I guess.

Thanks for another edition of Off The Racks, geeks!
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Wrapping Christmas presents, listening to Off The Racks... don't get much better then that :)
  • I am a huge pokemon fan so when I heard you guys discuss capture creatures, I knew this would be a must buy! Sadly, I probably will not pick up issue 3. I've preordered #2, but the lack of creatures really disappointed me. Similar to Chris, I was unsure as to what was going on with the island. Just hearing Adam say he is a pokemon fan excited me. Hopefully one day, we could have an episode dedicated to pokemon. From the beginning with generation one, to the current generation with x and y, there's so much to discuss.
  • @ShaneKelly , the computer you were mimicking when answering "Correct" to Pants' questions actually appeared in Star Trek IV, not Star Trek III.

For a No-Prize, I would gladly offer the explanation that you were recently resurrected in a Vulcan ceremony and your re-education simply has not reached 1986 yet. I'll be looking for my No-Prize in the mail.

On a more serious not, wonderful episode, gentlemen. While I don't always agree with your opinions of the comics discussed in the Off-The-Racks episodes, the conversation those comics generate is always interesting and thought-provoking. Keep up the good work!
  • I couldn't help myself from laughing to myself whenever @Adam_Murdough‌ or the others mentioned Ian, Cap's kid.

Yep, I sure am! :D

Okay, maybe not.
  • jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    @Adam_Murdough bravo on not getting muddled. I wanted to let you know that your full answer to the DC question was spot on including the name of the Professor who puts Robin under. Very well done sir. I commend you on getting every part of the question.

The Spider-Man question was a bit of a trick question because the obvious answer would have been the Daily Bugle. I quite like the issue but the cover is just very striking.

The Doctor Who was for fun but I would recommend "The Forgotten" to just about anyone who would like to try Doctor Who. The writer really gets the "essence" of each Doctor and you get a nice little short story of each of the first 9 Doctors and it's been collected in one nice trade for those that are interested.

Also for @ShaneKelly and @Pants The Judoon's first appearance was indeed "Smith and Jones" which introduced Martha Jones. The story just gives you the idea that the Doctor has in fact dealt with them before.

Love the show as always and I haven't had the chance to say that I love the addition of Chris to the show. His knowledge and enthusiasm is a great addition to the show. Keep up the great work gentleman.
  • @ShaneKelly , the computer you were mimicking when answering "Correct" to Pants' questions actually appeared in Star Trek IV, not Star Trek III.

D'oh! You are right. And let's go with your reasoning. ;) Jamie would have smacked me upside the head for that blunder. LOL.
  • TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited December 2014
    Excellent episode as always, gentlemen. Special kudos to Murd for making an appearance from his sick bed, not to mention successfully fending off a muddle by pulling that whole "hypnosis" thing out of nowhere. Well played, sir.

I didn't read Capture Creatures, as it's just not my bag, baby. I did however read the other 2. Captain America was a slam-dunk "buy" for me. Loved it. Loved the story, the interaction between the characters, the art. Excellent start to things IMO.

ODY-C was a "pants" for me. I thought the story-telling was completely convoluted and the artwork was, well, I guess "psychedelic trippy" about sums it up. Can't see myself continuing with it.

@Pants ... glad you're enjoying Black Widow and Secret Avengers. Both are great reads. Secret Avengers holds the #1 spot in my current Marvel rankings (do they even publish "Hawkeye" anymore???). What an excellent book.
  • TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited December 2014
    Oh, and how great is the whole Modok - Maria Hill relationship? I've said repeatedly that I would pay top dollar for a book that featured just the 2 of them sitting around Maria Hill's apartment watching TV or shooting the shit. For that matter, an issue where Modok & Maria Hill, and Jessica Drew & Vladamir the sentient bomb go on a double date would be, well, beyond epic.
  • CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    @jaydee74‌ Would you be able to add your Muddle the Murd questions and answers to the archive thread here:
    http://thecomicforums.com/discussion/115/muddle-the-murd-archive/p3
    cheers
  • Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited December 2014

ODY-C was a "pants" for me. I thought the story-telling was completely convoluted and the artwork was, well, I guess "psychedelic trippy" about sums it up. Can't see myself continuing with it.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to "pants" ODY-C. But I too found the story-telling off-putting. And while I did enjoy the Marvel fold-outs from the 90's, the excessive eight-page foldout in ODY-C made me feel kind of silly when I had to spread the whole thing out on my bed and read it at different angles. Mind you, not as silly as I feel when reading an anaglyphic 3D comic and wearing those stupid headache-inducing glasses but still pretty silly.

One thing I will praise ODY-C on is the artwork, which is absolutely beautiful.

• rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

I don't know if I'd go so far as to "pants" ODY-C. But I too found the story-telling off-putting. And while I did enjoy the Marvel fold-outs from the 90's, the excessive eight-page foldout in ODY-C made me feel kind of silly when I had to spread the whole thing out on my bed and read it at different angles. Mind you, not as silly as I feel when reading an anaglyphic 3D comic and wearing those stupid headache-inducing glasses but still pretty silly.

One thing I will praise ODY-C on is the artwork, which is absolutely beautiful.

Agreed.
    I have a love/hate thing for books like ODY-C. I appreciate the thought and design that goes into them. And, it was beautifully rendered. Unfortunately, the book is such an unwieldy thing to try to read that I get frustrated and stop.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Capture Creatures had built up a following on the website where they have been indexing their Pokemon homage long before the comic was announced. So it had a built in audience from almost 3 years of the website. Hopefully that's enough to sustain it as by the sounds of things it's not that accessible to non-fans.
    I just finished listening.

You guys.

really?

I had no desire to pick up Captain America. Now I do.

do i fight the desire or buy the pretty Immomen (?) book.

damn
    The books I've read recently that have stuck with me are
    Nightworld #1 (image)
    Grayson #5 (DC)
    Multiversity, Pax Americana (DC)
    Pretty Deadly #1 (Image, $1 special)
  • jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Caliban said:

@jaydee74‌ Would you be able to add your Muddle the Murd questions and answers to the archive thread here:
    http://thecomicforums.com/discussion/115/muddle-the-murd-archive/p3
    cheers

Done and done.
  • Another great episode!
  • Have to say that this was one of the few months that I bought all three issues myself, and read them ahead of the review. I would summarize my thoughts the same as a lot of other people.

Capture Creatures - I was really hoping we were going to jump right in and meet some creatures, or understand what we are to do with them, where they came from, etc. Something about the origin of the creatures. The book is, after all, Capture Creatures, not The People of Capture Creatures. Hopefully this can turn around, as the art was fun, and the one creature we saw was neat. I will be getting #2, just to see if we advance a bit more.

ODY-C - I don't quite know what to say. The 8 page foldout was great, but the format of the story and art just didn't do it for me either. Especially at the price-point, this isn't a compelling buy, or even borrow for me.

All New Captain America - I honestly thought this was going to be the bum of the lot. Boy was I wrong! This was all around a good book. Story was well paced, nice art, and I really like the jabbing back and forth through the dialog. As someone new to Cap, this was an easy jumping on point, and was not at all confusing. I was not planning on getting #2, but will be picking it up moving forward.

Thanks again for another great episode gents, keep 'em coming!
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Sorry for the late input:

Capture Creatures #1- PANTS! These ratings are personal, so if I wouldn't buy a comic again or even recommend it, it gets a "pants!" There wasn't enough story and the artwork wasn't that great and just a few weeks later, I don't even remember what happened.

ODY-C #1 - PANTS! I read The Odyssey in high school and still it wasn't enough to keep me interested. I got bored and never even finished the book. And that's unfortunate because I think I pre-ordered up to issue 3. Maybe when I finish this month's comics I might try reading #1 again and #2 to see if my impressions might change.

All-New Captain America #1 - BORROW - I thought it was okay, just typical comic book fare. I wasn't invested in old Cap's previous volume and just bought this one to see what was up. However, I sort of wish I had continued ordering this, mostly to see the result of the cliffhanger. Oh, and I agree with Murd about the Falcon-dressing-up-as-Cap idea. It was like Superman dressing up as Batman. LOL!

Muddle-the-Murd! Wow, Murd...that was an awesome guess on that first question!

Pant's Picks: Black Widow - Yeah, I got some of the clearance issues from DCBS and I liked them. Secret Avengers - I did like the 1st issue, but didn't continue with it.
    Shane's Extra Picks: Yeah, JL3000...I'm enjoying it.