Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1523 Talkback - Comic Talk

Christmas is coming and the goose is getting fat, but the Geeks still aren't too busy for some pithy comics chat! Topics include the ever-growing bounty of Star Wars #1 variant covers; Archie Comics' early plans for their star character's 75th anniversary; the questionable merits of series renumbering; and whatever other sugarplums dance into our heads. (55:48)

Listen here.

Comments

• In Darth Vader voice "NOOOOOO!" (Very appropriate for this episode) Not Swampthing! I currently only read 4 DC titles: Batman, Justice League, Swampthing, and Secret Origins. Now, I'll be down to two. I'm ready for DC to pick up their game. Maybe this Convergence will kickstart a new DC era since New 52 has been an overall drag.
  • Great show, guys! As a retailer, I was surprised that @wildpigcomics‌ didn't chime in on one of the reasons for Star Wars having such bloated pre-order numbers through his experience ordering. As per usual there is the normal unlocking of variant tiers (Alex Ross, for example, being 50 regular issues per Ross variant), but in the case of Star Wars #1, there was another hitch to more variants if you ordered 200% of your Original Sin #8 order.

Here is the BleedingCool page: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/11/14/with-marvels-star-wars-1-incentives-tied-to-sales-of-original-sin-8-could-they-sell-half-a-million/

Now, that doesn't mean that the movie hype, the return to Marvel, subject matter, etc. aren't playing in to this, but as an example, the comic shop I work for ordered 3 Original Sin #8 books (big seller, eh?). For us, 200% would be 9 (3 + 6). However, we wanted to get an Alex Ross cover . . . so we ordered 50 (well above the 200% mark). That also opened us up for the Skottie Young and a few other variant covers. Long story short, we ordered around 65 issues (regular + variants). Imagine what a shop like DCBService will be doing to get their variants?

Cheers!
  • As the resident Lantern follower:

Green Lantern Corps being cancelled is more shocking than the geeks let on. Don't get me wrong, FIVE Lantern titles? It wasn't going to last. Not in the slightest, but I expected Sinestro, Red Lanterns and New Guardians to be cancelled before GLC. Green Lantern is one of DC's flagship characters. As a matter of fact, I'm fairly certain Aquaman, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash and Green Lantern are ALL original New 52 books that are STILL in print because...they're flag ship titles. The series could SUCK, but you're more likely to change up the creative team than lose that brand recognition. GLC was the catch all for all Lantern related things NOT featured in the main title. A title like that became MORE important post Johns with the invention of the other Lantern Corps.

Red Lanterns wasn't a shocker though. Soule said he was leaving and fans of the series were worried about the new direction of the series under a different writer. ESPECIALLY since the prior creative team was GOD AWFUL. It says alot that Soule was able to take one of the WORST LANTERN TITLES EVER and turn it into one of my favorites. If you're willing and able, pick up the Soule written issues of Red Lanterns featuring Guy Gardner as a Red Lantern. Great stuff.

Green Lantern: New Guardians also isn't a shocker. It's ALSO been a very good title but has been slipping lately. Justin Jordan is ALSO leaving the title. My main concern here is the loss of Kyle Rayner. I LOVE Kyle when he's an "only Lantern" type and I love him even more when he has more power than he knows what to do with (this time as a White Lantern). So I'm disappointed that the focus on him is being shifted there. But again, not unexpected.

Batwoman being cancelled bugs me but only because they FINALLY introduced Ragman into the New 52 and we all know how I love Ragman.
  • Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    Fun episode gentlemen, though I admit the abrupt cutoff at the end took me by surprise. I like long marathon episodes so I'm disappointed it got broken into two. But that's just my preference, of course.

I was hoping that the DC discussion here would have led to some talk about the overall cost of the Convergence event. Maybe that gets covered in part two, but I'm curious as to what you gentlemen think about the financial commitment that DC expects of us to revisit aspects of the Classic DCU we miss.
  • @wildpigcomics , I, too, would read a grocery list by the creative team of Mark Waid and Fiona Staples. I can envision it now. An ongoing series about a race of sentient, anthropomorphic cans of green beans finding an ancient shield in San Francisco dating back to 1909. Through research they discover it's origins are linked with their own and set off to learn more about the great Del Monte empire. About three issues into the series, the main antagonists could be introduced. Another race of beings called the Green Giants, who come from the unexplored western parts of this parallel Earth, have begun attacking small green bean settlements and only the secrets of the long dead Del Monte can defeat them.

This will of course lead to a quest scenario in which other characters can join the party along the way, at first keeping things familiar with other canned vegetables such as corn and peas. Eventually, more colorful characters can be introduced allowing Fiona Staples to really exercise her creativity. Perhaps a comic relief character, like a toothbrush. Think Bruce Spence from The Road Warrior. Something along those lines.

Should this be an all-ages book? Perhaps we could pitch this to Kaboom.
  • Wait a minute, no theme song at the end? What a gyp!

• alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Thanks for the episode! The split into parts 1 and 2 didn't matter much to me, since I'm pretty far behind. (In fact, I skipped 1522 because I haven't gotten the comics yet) Anyway, most of the machinations of the Big Two (relaunches, new numbering, special covers) doesn't bother me so much because I just read want I wanna read or what I think I'll enjoy. I don't go for variants unless it's the same price as the regular cover. So, I'm only getting one copy of Star Wars (probably the regular cover) and I will try the new Archie, and I wasn't getting any of the DC cancelled series. So, at least the ones I read will continue...at least until Convergence.
  • Great episode as always, guys!

I personally am excited about all of the buzz for Star Wars being a super huge fan of the property. I also am excited about all of the variant covers. I personally am trying to get them all (but I know that a couple I probably won't own are the sketch cover to Alex Ross and the sketch cover to Joe Quesada....they are just too expensive to obtain). I saw an article recently that said there will be over 100 variant covers, but they were counting the signed editions of other variant covers and the reproduced sketches done on the blank sketch cover. I don't count those. Last I saw, of actual variant covers, there are about 64. If you remove the sketch variants of the color editions, the number goes down by almost half. Still a lot of covers, but I was not surprised. I would do this for no other title, but Star Wars is huge for me, so just for this issue, I am trying to get all that I can.

I am definitely interested in trying the Archie title when it relaunches. Like Chris said, you can put those two creators on a comic about a grocery list, and I will give it a try.

In regards to the titles ending, I'm sad about Worlds Finest and Green Lantern Corps ending. the others I kinda expected.

In regards to the solicit for the last issue of Worlds Finest that I believe Pants stated kinda gave a spoiler, it actually didn't. It mentioned the death of Lois Lane, but this is Earth 2's Lois Lane. The story they are telling happens in the past of Earth 2. In the present day of Earth 2, Lois Lane is Red Tornado, so we already knew for a while that she must have died as a person and her mind was put into Red Tornado's body. This issue must just show how that happened. So, I can definitely see how this could be thought of as a spoiler if anyone was not reading the titles of Earth 2 or Worlds Finest currently, but it actually doesn't spoil that this happens. It is just a past story that explains how it happened. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks again for the episode, guys.
  • Also to add to something said on the episode. I am looking to try to get all of the variant covers for Star Wars #1 that I can, but I'm doing it for the fun of it (like Chris mentioned) and not for any speculative reason of value. They just have value and mean something to me, so it's fun to try to get them all.

You guys mentioned how people will buy issues and have them signed by Star Wars actors, which I totally agree. Many people will do that. I personally am a Star Wars fan first and a comic book fan an extremely close second....which means that as much as Star Wars is a big part of my life, so are comics. So I would look to have these issues signed by the comic creators, well, except for maybe the movie variant cover....that one would be cool to have signed by the actor on the cover.
  • I am trying to get caught up in listening to CGS, but it is getting harder and harder. Listening to 1523 tonight, and I could just feel it was a matter of time until we got back to the new CGS narrative that Marvel NOW is great and DC's New 52 sucks, particularly since Chris from Wild Pig joined the show. I may be getting close to giving up. I have not been a fan of much of what Marvel is doing, and I have been shedding their books for months to the point I am down to just a few. On the flip side, there is a lot DC is doing that I like. It's very difficult to listen to this podcast anymore when CGS keeps giving me the same storyline over and over and over again that is completely out of phase with what I see and what gets discussed at my LCS. I feel like the podcast no longer speaks with a voice I recognize, which is probably why I find myself several episodes behind in the first place.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    MEDuell said:

I am trying to get caught up in listening to CGS, but it is getting harder and harder. Listening to 1523 tonight, and I could just feel it was a matter of time until we got back to the new CGS narrative that Marvel NOW is great and DC's New 52 sucks, particularly since Chris from Wild Pig joined the show. I may be getting close to giving up. I have not been a fan of much of what Marvel is doing, and I have been shedding their books for months to the point I am down to just a few. On the flip side, there is a lot DC is doing that I like. It's very difficult to listen to this podcast anymore when CGS keeps giving me the same storyline over and over and over again that is completely out of phase with what I see and what gets discussed at my LCS. I feel like the podcast no longer speaks with a voice I recognize, which is probably why I find myself several episodes behind in the first place.

I get what you're saying, but the beauty of the show has always been the guys talking about the things that they're enjoying. If they're not enjoying DC right now (BTW, I agree with you, I think that there's a fair amount to like there right now as well), it's a matter of taste and will likely come back around eventually.
  • Do we DC guys need to say here "hey, this DC book is great right now"?

Do we DC guys need to say here "hey, this DC book is great right now"?

Could.

Grayson is my top of the pile DC book at the moment but I'm still really enjoying Batwoman and the Aquaman books. The Green Lantern books have been consistent, but the constant events have left me feeling worn.
  • TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited January 2015
    Since getting back into comics, I've tried numerous DC books and Grayson and Injustice are the only ones I've stuck with. Well, Justice League too, but that's just out of nostalgia (Truth be told, that book totally sucks and I'm just hoping against hope it can turn itself around). If we're talking just the big 2, well, in my opinion, Marvel > DC ... and it's not even close.

Of course, Image beats the living snot out of both of them. Oh, and I only know that because supposed Marvel apologist, "Chris from Wild Pig," has turned me on to so many Image books, I can't even keep track of them.

Since getting back into comics, I've tried numerous DC books and Grayson and Injustice are the only ones I've stuck with. Well, Justice League too, but that's just out of nostalgia (Truth be told, that book totally sucks and I'm just hoping against hope it can turn itself around). If we're talking just the big 2, well, in my opinion, Marvel > DC ... and it's not even close.

Of course, Image beats the living snot out of both of them. Oh, and I only know that because supposed Marvel apologist, "Chris from Wild Pig," has turned me on to so many Image books, I can't even keep track of them.

I'd agree with the back half of that, but for me, I'm 100% Marvel free. Some of that is pricing related, some double-shipping related and some creator related. Marvel has a whole host of characters and titles that I used to love and some creators that I really enjoy, but I really strongly dislike Bendis' writing style and often find that the present mix of characters on teams and/or creative teams don't suit my taste. The end result is that for me, a complete average DC > Marvel - to the point that I've developed the Marvel blindspot that Pants used to have when I walk into my LCS or look at the DCBS order form.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited January 2015

And for what it's worth, Chris from @wildpigcomics‌ is one of the most vocal fans of DC's Grayson on CGS right now so I wouldn't necessarily say they are anti-DC, but I might say that I am. I'll give Convergence a shot, but frankly DC is close to printing nothing I want to read except recent the Batmanga, and they had little to do with it's creation that.

If you're really about to stop listening because they are currently leaning more towards Marvel and Image, I think you may be doing yourself a gross disservice @MEDuell‌ . But mine is merely one man's opinion on an Internet forum...
  • The guys used to be very one sided towards DC for the longest time. Now they lean heavily towards Marvel because that is what they are enjoying. I'm just happy to hear them when they are excited about comics, regardless of the company. I'm fine if they say they are not enjoying DC as long as it doesn't become a rant against DC every episode (the occasional rant....sure....every company deserves the occasional rant against what they are doing). I like shows that mainly focus on the positive stuff they are reading or seeing, and I think the guys do a great job of that.

I personally enjoy both Marvel and DC, and I would say that I also read an equal parts of independent stuff as well. I'm an equal opportunity reader. I read what I like. When it comes to DC, I am getting caught up on some stuff. I recently caught up on Green Arrow. I stopped reading after Lemire left (his run was amazing), but was still getting the issues. I read them this weekend, and very glad I kept collecting them. If you like the TV show Arrow, then I highly recommend reading Green Arrow. I am loving the Flash right now with the future Barry storyline going on. I know some people hate Justice League, but the current Amazo Virus storyline has been enjoyable to me. I'm catching up on the Green Lantern titles (got way behind, so just starting the Uprising storyline), but they have been solid. I am loving the Endgame story in Batman. I really enjoyed the first issue of Secret Six. It was weird but a good kind of weird. Earth 2 still knocks it out of the park for me every month. I am loving Grayson. I personally am enjoying the weekly series, and the great thing with them is when I do get a stinker issue, it's only one week later that a new one comes that is usually better.

I could go on with other DC titles I am enjoying, but I think I will end there.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    LOL @Royal_Lantern‌ you'll have fun catching up with the GL they aren't as great as when Geoff Johns was on it but they have been pretty solid. Red Lanterns really surprised me. Charles Soule is damn excellent writer.

I started comics as an X-Men fan but I've also learned to love the Avengers so I'm loving the Marvel books right now. I never really got into DC until the Sinestro Corps War and Morrison on Batman. Those are the only titles I keep up with. Well Wonder Woman before the creative team change. So as someone standing on the outside of DC's history the New 52 piqued my interest for a little while but eventually nothing about it made me want to read any new titles. To me it all seemed underwhelming.
  • Corwin said:

LOL @Royal_Lantern‌ you'll have fun catching up with the GL they aren't as great as when Geoff Johns was on it but they have been pretty solid. Red Lanterns really surprised me. Charles Soule is damn excellent writer.

I started comics as an X-Men fan but I've also learned to love the Avengers so I'm loving the Marvel books right now. I never really got into DC until the Sinestro Corps War and Morrison on Batman. Those are the only titles I keep up with. Well Wonder Woman before the creative team change. So as someone standing on the outside of DC's history the New 52 piqued my interest for a little while but eventually nothing about it made me want to read any new titles. To me it all seemed underwhelming.

It was pretty underwhelming to some of us standing on the inside of DC's history as well...
  • JaceTheComicSourceJaceTheComicSource Posts: 140
    edited January 2015
    I agree that the show seems to lean towards Marvel right now. I prefer DC over Marvel at the moment due to the CONSTANT relaunching of #1's by Marvel and their never-ending tendency to find something that works then flood the market with that property, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers and so on. What is interesting is I only started listening about 6 months ago I am going back and listening to the old episodes starting with #1 and at that time the show leaned more towards DC, so I think just like the comics publishing world itself, podcasts can be cyclical in their preferences of companies. As others have stated the non-big two stuff coming out right now beats both Marvel and DC so there you go. Do I wish the guys enjoyed more DC, or added another co-host who has a more diverse pull-list? Sure. Maybe someone who also keeps up daily with the comic news of the day. The show has suffered from the loss of some or most of the founders for various reasons and that is to be expected when a podcast goes on for 10 years!!! How many of us can say we are still doing something we did 10 years ago that takes so much time and dedication.

The show will continue to grow and change and I will keep listening as long as the Geeks keep putting out shows. I enjoy hearing them talk and though I don't always agree with what they have to say, I have come to think of them as friends who I just haven't met yet. I have only one person where I live that I get to talk comics with and for me the Geeks are a great substitute for an LCS. I only wish I didn't have to wait so long between episodes, bt that's only because I'd like to hear and talk about comics every day!
  • I think its fine if the show leans more towards Marvel its their show, their time and money so they should read and talk about what they enjoy. But sometimes there seems to be a down right hatred toward DC with these massive rants about how everything they put out is garbage. DC still has a 1/3 of the market share and some months beats Marvel in market share so they can't be putting out total garbage and still sell that many comics to that many people. That also means that 1/3 of the listeners of CGS probably like DC. I think a lot of the dislike of the New 52 is that it isn't the same universe as it used to be and that they are judging the books based on what they are not instead of what they are. I like the New 52 and outside of Batman and Green Lantern I had very little knowledge about DC comics history pre Flashpoint so this is the first time I am experiencing most of these characters and I am enjoying what I'm reading so it doesn't bother me if Wally West or Donna Troy are different from what they were before or if they are even there because I have no history or attachment to them. I have some recommendations for DC books if someone wants to dip their toe in the DC water that hasn't tried it in a while. Of course Scott Snyder's Batman but also Brian Buccellato and Francis Manapul's Detective Comics run has been fantastic, Gotham by Midnight, Grayson, Justice League, Justice League United, Aquaman and Teen Titans all have been very good recently.