Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1524 Talkback - Comic Talk, Part Two

Our pre-Christmas Comic Talk continues in this episode. Topics include the home-video release (and tempting toy tie-ins) of the Guardians of the Galaxy movie; a Pants review of the Charles Soule penned 'She Hulk' series; the mid-season finales of several of our favorite TV shows; and more. (57:26)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I couldn't agree more about @Pants's opinions on the She-Hulk art, but I've been fond of the writing. While Pullido's whimsical art style was a bit off-putting at first, Wimberly's fill in issues sucked a lot of momentum out of the book.

Still finding this last story arc to be the most interesting of the series. It's a buy-row from me because heck, two issues left and I'm a completist...

PS I don't mind listening to 2 hour episodes.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited December 2014
    Another nice episode, gentlemen.

I basically agree with Pants about She-Hulk, too... though I'm not as down on Pulido as others. I basically like the guy's art, and have liked it for years, but I don't think that what he did on the title was particularly impressive or engaging. To put it simply, I just didn't like the overall vibe that the title seemed to be striving for: to me it just kind of seemed like a feigned contemporary whimsy that didn't do much for me. I read the first two issues then dropped the title. Though the subject matter suited Soule's knowledge, I feel like the editors told him to mimic some kind of hipster (for lack of a better term) aesthetic that's somewhat popular these days, and it didn't work for me. Despite Soule being one of my favorite writers right now. Despite my having liked Pulido in the past. And despite always liking Shulkie.

Maybe this seems like an obvious recommendation or whatever, but... Pants (and whoever else), if you like the character you owe it to yourself to pick up some of the '90s Byrne series ("Sensational She-Hulk"). You can find issues of that series in nearly every dollar bin in the country, and every issue is entertaining in its own unique way.
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited December 2014
    @Adam_Murdough Martian Manhunter does indeed blast Deathbolt in Crisis #10 on pg. 6.

Also, on the subject of Crisis, is your master's thesis available to read anywhere on the CGS website or elsewhere? I know it's been mentioned many a time on the podcast dating back to the beginning and I must admit to being curious to read it as I myself have become increasingly interested in DC history in recent years.
  • Options
    Hey @Evening639‌ here is a link to a PDF file of it, if you are interested. I just found it myself, and was considering an attempt to read this over the Holiday break.

https://etd.ohiolink.edu/ap/10?0::NO:10:P10_ACCESSION_NUM:bgsu1151329477

Enjoy!
  • Options
    compsolut said:

Hey @Evening639‌ here is a link to a PDF file of it, if you are interested. I just found it myself, and was considering an attempt to read this over the Holiday break.

https://etd.ohiolink.edu/ap/10?0::NO:10:P10_ACCESSION_NUM:bgsu1151329477

Enjoy!

Many thanks!

• Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Wow, Murd pulls another one right out of his...!! Anyway, nice going, Murd! Oh, Guardians of the Galaxy DVD...not available yet in Japan. :(( Actually, I guess there's not a big rush since I don't think the movie did that well here. I think it came out too late to catch the summer movie crowd. As for the figures, I'll have to get more details when I talk to my friend who owns a comic & action figure store here in Japan, but I think some of the figures are selling well. She-Hulk, I think I maybe read issue one, but that's it. Agents of SHIELD, Flash, and Arrow: Haven't seen any of Flash and 2nd season of Arrow and only 3 episodes of SHIELD's second season. I've enjoyed those first 3 episodes of SHIELD. I plan to watch more soon. As for Flash and Arrow, I can't get them here, but I'll probably get Arrow rental dvds soon.
  • Options
    penn2kpenn2k Posts: 30
    Just go caught up on some back-logged CGS episodes. I agree with @Pants‌ about She-Hulk: The writing was great, the covers were great, the interior art... not so much. I got used to Pulido's art as the series went on, but the fill-in issues were absolutely terrible. Some of the perspective was so off that characters looked liked Mr. Fantastic stretching their arms and legs 20 ft at a time. It is a fun read, though - so I'm finishing out the series.