Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

31 Days of Comics

Comments

• Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    Day Nineteen: A Comic That You Quote From

Hmmm. None?
  • Options
    Day Twenty: A Comic With Witty Dialogue

Superior Spiderman.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Day 20 a comic with witty dialogue
    Hawk Guy
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Caliban said:

Hawk Guy

Especially in the Pizza Dog issue. :D
  • Options
    Caliban said:

Hawk Guy

My runner up! Excellent!
  • Options
    JaceTheComicSourceJaceTheComicSource Posts: 140
    edited January 2015
    Day Twenty: A Comic with Witty Dialogue

Going with the classic Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League run. So many great lines and back and forth dialogue with the characters. Plus tons of jokes that kept going and going but never got old ... one punch, J'onn J'onzz Oreos, Guy Gardner/Ice trying to go out on a date.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Day 20: A Comic With Witty Dialogue

Easy one for the top of the list would be The Tick - especially the early issues... I'm looking at you Barry!

I've also got to give some credit to the Bwa-ha-ha Justice League.

And then there's the guilty pleasure (semi)witty dialog book - Gun Fury. God it was stupid yet fun.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Easy one for the top of the list would be The Tick - especially the early issues... I'm looking at you Barry!

Even the sound effects. Every time I see a flagpole sticking out of a building, I think "Wub Wub Wub Wub Wub".

I seem to have kind of blocked thinking about The Tick... I'm an Edlund purist and am still waiting for the next *real* issue.

• Options
    WetRats said:

hauberk said:

Even the sound effects. Every time I see a flagpole sticking out of a building, I think "Wub Wub Wub Wub Wub".

I seem to have kind of blocked thinking about The Tick... I'm an Edlund purist and am still waiting for the next *real* issue.

I've picked up the occasional FCBD offering, but haven't found the same magic as the early stuff... a variety of reasons lead me away from comics in the mid 90s. The Tick was one of the books that I didn't recover my enthusiasm for upon my return... I suspect that the previous lack of any kind of regular schedule probably took it off of my radar. Oh, sure they tried to slake my appetite with Man-Eating Cow, Chainsaw Vigilante and Paul the Samurai, but they just weren't quite the same.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Day 21: A Comic That You Used to Love But Now Dislike

Spider-Man. It's always been kind of an ebb and flow book for me. At his best, with a good writer and a great artist, nothing can touch the web-slinger. At his worst, he's darn near unreadable. Never quite recovered from the whole "Sure Satan, I'll toss my marriage away to deny Aunt May the opportunity to reunite with Uncle Ben again." Y'know how everyone feels about Superman breaking Zod's neck in Man of Steel? Yeah, that didn't bug me nearly as much as One More Day.

Please note: This doesn't mean I don't like the character. How do you not love Spidey? But the last time he was interesting to me was when it wasn't Parker in the suit.
  • Options
    You ask a question like this of The Grumpalupagus?

(OTOH: I'm *loving* Spider-Man. Just finished the second Amazing trade. So there, @Torchsong! :wink: )
  • Options
    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen has disappeared into a prurient black hole hidden in Moore's beard.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

(OTOH: I'm *loving* Spider-Man. Just finished the second Amazing trade. So there, @Torchsong! :wink: )

Everyone is entitled to be wrong on this forum. We're equal opportunity! :)

• Options
    Torchsong said:

WetRats said:

Everyone is entitled to be wrong on this forum. We're equal opportunity! :)
    Hmm... so I'm not actually loving Amazing Spider-Man?

Well, God knows I've been wrong about love before.
  • Options
    Day 22: Comic That Makes You Wanna Have Sloppy Makeouts With Someone

Thank goodness they clarified this one - basically it's "A sexy comic but not an erotic comic". Tough call as I have plenty to fit both definitions. :)

I think I'm gonna wuss out and go with any issue of Micronauts where Michael Golden was drawing Marionette. The man knows his curves and how to use 'em, and gave her a sexiness that made a standard sci-fi romp based on a toyline into something much greater than it really should have been.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Thank goodness they clarified this one - basically it's "A sexy comic but not an erotic comic". Tough call as I have plenty to fit both definitions. :)

I think I'm gonna wuss out and go with any issue of Micronauts where Michael Golden was drawing Marionette. The man knows his curves and how to use 'em, and gave her a sexiness that made a standard sci-fi romp based on a toyline into something much greater than it really should have been.

I was struggling with this one, but I think that you've hit the nail on the head!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Hmmm. Pretty much the entire Marvel Universe at this juncture. I haven't read much of it in years, but what I was finding was that the things that used to be of interest to me were double shipping, overpriced, featured and an artist or writer that I don't care for, or included a radically different character mix that wasn't to my taste. Also, Sentry. I utterly loath that character and feel like his inclusion in the MU diminished it in its entirety.

See Torchsong's response. Perfect choice. Perfect description.
  • Options
    Thanks, @Torchsong for the clarification.
    I'll go with pretty much anything illustrated by Phil Foglio. The man can draw some purty wimmen.
    Let's pick his Angel and the Ape miniseries, just because it deserves a mention.
  • Options
    Day Twenty One Comic I Used to Love That I Now Dislike
    I also am going to go with Amazing Spider-Man. specifically the Romita Jr issues in the late 200's. The older I get the less I am able to ignore art that I just don't like. It is especially bothersome to me when it is a very popular artist like JR whose gets tons of praise and I just don't get it. For me his art style has gotten more and more blocky over the years and that just means in my eyes it has gotten worse and worse. I recently did a re-read of the entire 79 issues of Rom and comics certainly were different back then. Maybe it is this difference with the art taking more of a primary role and the dialogue having less prominence that makes me less tolerant of art I don't like.

Day Twenty Two Comic That Makes Me Want to Make Out with Someone
    I can honestly say that no comic has ever made me want to make out with someone. That said I will choose the New 52 issue of Catwoman #1 and that ridiculous and awkward sex scene on the roof, just because it made me say, Wow they are really going for it.
  • Options
    Love and Rockets
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Caliban said:

Love and Rockets

^:)^

Can I change mine?
  • Options
    Green Lantern used to be my go to book. New 52? - Not so much.

Yeah, @Caliban‌ nailed that one. I second Love and Rockets.
  • Options
    Day 23 the first comic that you bought
    I can't remember the first comic I bought as a kid, probably the Victor comic for boys. So I'm going to go with the first comic I bought after my break, the one that got me back into comics. Warrior #4 from 1982. A grown up comic that blew my mind.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Day Sixteen: A Comic That Makes You Cry
    I've only cried after reading a comic two, maybe three times. The one that got me the most was probably Essex County: Ghost Stories.

Day Seventeen: A Comic That Reminds You of Somebody
    Adventure Comics #442. Every year my mother's side of the family gets together at the beach. When I was a little kid it was a much bigger deal, because we didn't own a place there yet, so it was a rare treat, plus the family was less spread out, so everybody showed up.

One of the earliest I can remember was when I was five, and my favorite uncle (he was the youngest of my uncles, barely in his 20s at the time) came back from the store with this Aquaman comic. I was already in my “I want to be Jacques Cousteau when I grow up” phase, and I knew Aquaman from Super Friends, so this was the perfect comic for me. It was a big part of the reason Aquaman was my favorite superhero and Jim Aparo my favorite artist growing up.

My uncle died a few years ago from cancer, so the book is even more special to me now, and I still have that copy, plus another copy I bought years later as my reader copy. I still think of my uncle walking into the cottage and handing it to me every time I see the cover.

Day Eighteen: A Comic That Deserves A Soundtrack
    I may sound like a broken record (pun intended) here, but I'm going once again with Bandette. And it would be easy to do: just pick some Henry Mancini tracks from the various Pink Panther movies, and throw in a few Edith Piaf tunes, et voilà!
  • Options
    Day 23 the first comic that you bought

The more I think about it, the more I'm not sure.
    I remember where I bought it: the old run down grocery store across the street from my Grandpa and Grandma's house in little tiny town they lived in out in the boonies. They had a great spinner rack that I can still picture to this day. I remember taking the cans from the basement there, redeeming them, and then spending what seemed like hours staring at the covers and flipping through the books until the clerk finally demanded that I buy something or get the hell out of the store.
  • Options
    Day Nineteen: Comic That You Quote From
    Hands down, it has to be The Tick. It helps that my wife loves the comic too. Granted, a lot of the Tick quotes we throw around come from the cartoon, but we use some from the comic on at least a semi-regular basis. “You look like the kind of guy who could use a wet one” was commonly used when our kids were little.

Day Twenty: A Comic With Witty Dialogue
    I'll go with Cerebus, because the dialogue was always witty, whether it was funny or serious.

Look, every comic that sticks around for years and years is going to have its ups and downs. So I'm going with a different reading of the the question. I'm not looking at it as a comic series I used to love, but I dislike what they're doing with it now. To me, that's comparing tangerines to tangelos—genetically similar, but very different in taste.

That being said, I'm going with Marvel Super-Heroes Secret Wars. I wouldn't necessarily say I loved it, even as a 14-year-old, but I did think it was pretty cool to have all the heroes and villains in one book, and I did love the Mike Zeck artwork. Reading it as an adult, the story is a bit of a mess. I might could forgive that if I didn't know what happened behind-the-scenes as I do now, and how miserable it made Mike Zeck. And maybe my current aversion towards company-wide crossovers in general has biased me against it as well. Whatever the reason, I can't look at it now without feeling a little... maybe contempt is too harsh a word, but then again, maybe it isn’t.

To be clear, that sort-of-contempt doesn’t extend to anyone who still enjoys it. More power to you, and part of me envies you. But it's has been ruined in my eyes, and I can’t say I'm looking forward to a new incarnation of the concept.
  • Options
    Day Twenty Three First Comic I Bought
    I remember exactly which comic it was as well as the reason I decided to collect comics in the first place. The comic was The Super Friends #42 and I am sure I chose that one because I was such a fan of the classic Super Friends cartoon at that age. I believe that cartoon was the reason I bought mostly DC books in the very early days of collecting. Though I do believe that the first Marvel comic I bought was a few months later, because of the awesome cover, Ghost Rider #58

sf42">

gr
  • Options
    Day Twenty Three: First Comic I Bought
    Superboy 197 starring The Legion of Super-Heroes
  • Options
    Day Twenty Four Comic That Makes Me Laugh
    The latest volume of Archer & Armstrong from valiant is hilarious. It has the kind of smart humor I prefer rather than slapstick. Plus tons of alternate history and conspiracy theory. A great high-quality book well deserving of larger sales.

Day Twenty Five: Comic From My Favorite Creator
    The book Think Tank by Matt Hawkins at Top Cow has got to be one of the best series I have read in the last 10 years. The coolest thing about it is how possible all the scenario's in the book are. Plus Hawkins fill the back of the book with science facts that you can spend hours reading about. Probably the best comic I have ever read as far as how much entertainment value you can get for your money. The stories themselves are well done, with a good balance of suspense and characterizations as well as beautiful art by Rahsan Ekedal.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Day Twenty Two: Comic That Makes You Want to Have Sloppy Makeouts with Someone
    A couple of people have mentioned Love and Rockets, and that's a great choice, but I'm going with—and this will come as no surprise to anyone who follows the Comic Book Cover a Day thread—anything drawn by Bob Oksner. The Adventures of Bob Hope, Angel and the Ape, “Supergirl,” “Mary Marvel”—it doesn’t matter. Oksner drew the cutest girls ever.

Day Twenty Three: First Comic You Bought
    I really don’t remember. And I'm assuming this means the first comic I bought with my own money, not one I just picked out and had my mom or someone pay for. I really didn’t start spending my own money on comics regularly until I was old enough to drive and go to the bookstore on my own. But I know I bought a few comics myself before then. It was probably the summer of 1983, because that year my family’s grocery store (started by my great-grandfather back in, I think, the ’30s) had a spinner rack of comics. They took it out at the end of the year because it wasn't profitable enough. I think my brother, my two cousins, and I were about the only ones to buy anything off it.

Anyway, I remember buying several issues of King Conan that year with money I made cutting grass and helping out at the store. There were other comics I bought too, but King Conan I definitely remember.

Day Twenty Four: Comic That Makes You Laugh
    I kind of covered this in the “Makes You Smile” and “Comic You Quote” categories: The Tick (the original Edlund issues).