Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1532 Talkback - OTR: Secret Six #1, S.H.I.E.L.D. #1, and Star Trek/Planet of the Apes #1

Submitted for your scrutiny: our survey of a selection of incipient series whose sobriquets start with 'S', such as Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D, DC's Secret Six, and IDW's Star Trek/Planet of the Apes: The Primate Directive! Along the way, Chris works in some shop talk; and Pants and Dani O'Brien announce a couple of new charitable endeavors, in honor of Jamie D. (1:32:37)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    chrislchrisl Posts: 78
    Yay. I can listen to this while I'm shoveling tonight.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I need to read my copies of SHIELD and ST + POTA before I tune in. Hope they were both fairly well-received. I've heard the IDW offering took a while to finally get to the point of the crossover, but I love both properties and I'm in for the full run.
  • Options
    First time in a long time I had actually read all 3 OTR submissions:

SHIELD #1 - "Buy"
    Thoroughly enjoyed this one. I've only seen the first 2 episodes of the TV show so I didn't notice that that was where some of the background characters were from. Loved the Coulson backstory about his lifelong obsession of superheroes (reciting every X-Man member in order, knowing the poker tells of all the various superheroes, etc). I have no doubt he'd prove to be a more than capable match for @Adam_Murdough‌ on a hypothetical edition of "Muddle the Murd." :-)

Secret Six #1 - "Pants"
    My only prior experience with Secret Six was in Villains United, which I thought was great. Based on that, even though I'm not much of a DC fan, I came in on this one fairly optimistic I'd like it. Ugh. I'm out after 1 issue.

Star Trek /POTA - "Borrow"
    Huge POTA fan, so I share some of the guy's thoughts that it was too Star Trek-centric. I get it though. The Enterprise crew is on a fact-finding mission, so that has to initially drive the plot. I've since read issue #2, and you'll be glad to hear it was a much more balanced approach with the POTa / Star Trek interactions. I disagree somewhat on the artwork. The pencils were just fine imo, but I thought the whole 1970's Saturday morning cartoon feel to the coloring was just awful.
  • Options

Loved the Coulson backstory about his lifelong obsession of superheroes (reciting every X-Man member in order, knowing the poker tells of all the various superheroes, etc). I have no doubt he'd prove to be a more than capable match for @Adam_Murdough‌ on a hypothetical edition of "Muddle the Murd." :-)

Oh, I'd be massively Muddled by Coulson's Marvel question, to be sure, but I doubt he'd be as good at coming up with DC and Independent questions. He strikes me as something of a Marvel Zombie. ;)
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Of the books you reviewed, the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. sounds good as well as the Star Trek/Planet of the Apes. @ShaneKelly, if you remember the Doctor Who/Star Trek mini-series, the first issue dealt mainly with the Doctor Who people while most of the second issue dealt with the Star Trek crew. It seems like a Tipton brothers thing. I'm sure it will pick up and be awesome. Those two really know how to write franchise characters.

I also got my Jamie's Avengers shirt. I can't wait to wear it with pride. Great show.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    Comedian Dana Gould, who writes the text pieces in each issue, is a fanatical Apes expert. He even lived in Roddy MacDowell's home. Here he is on the Monster Party podcast rhapsodizing about those damn dirty apes:

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/monster-party/e/planet-of-the-apes-35523012
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    Is there any way we can change the show announcements? Like just tweet them or disperse them at the end? I'm 18 minutes in and everything is still ON the rack
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Advertisers or promos?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    abuddah said:

Is there any way we can change the show announcements? Like just tweet them or disperse them at the end? I'm 18 minutes in and everything is still ON the rack

Well, it's probably easier for you to swipe your finger, mouse, etc and skip ahead.

• Options
    I was a bit underwhelmed by the episode tonight. Probably because none of the books you chose held much interest for me. C'est la vie. I will say this though ... inspiration has struck. As it pertains to the poster on the forums who said that all Chris does is bash DC and praise Marvel. Let's have a new CGS drinking game. Every time Chris complains about the New 52 or sings Marvels praises you can take a shot. You'll be enjoying the episodes in NO TIME!!!! Definitely going to order a Jamie's Avengers shirt and I am hoping to run into one of you guys at some point for a button to go on it. Doesn't look like I will be making the trip from CA to PA for the 10th anniversary show unfortunately, but I am glad Dani enjoyed her trip to my home state. I recorded my own Best of 2014 for my vlog on Friday and after 3 days of adding pictures and graphics it is finally uploading to YouTube. I am anxiously awaiting the CGS Best of show as last years Best of was the first time I got the pleasure of listening to you fine gentlemen. Keep up the great work!
  • Options
    @Adam_Murdough‌ By the way, Gail Simone just posted this to her Tumblr about the Secret Six delay:
    Okay, we did have a delay. A key member of the creative team had a personal emergency that was unavoidable and made work slow down considerably. Rather than do a fill-in on the second issue, DC kindly did something they don’t usually do and gave the book a little push back to next week so that the emergency would be resolved.

Everyone is sad, it’s our intention to make a very special book. All I can tell you is, there is SO MUCH FUN STUFF COMING.

Also, there will be TWO issues of Secret Six in February, I believe, and then we go back to a monthly schedule.
  • Options
    And by the way, the App extra is totally worth it this episode: not only will you get serenaded by the Geeks, but you'll learn more about @Pants‌ flatulence!
  • Options
    I did not read the Star Trek/Planet of the Apes issue. While I am a fan of Planet of the Apes, I have tried Star Trek many times and it never held my interest.

Secret Six #1 - I would give a total buy. It was very unusual, but in a very positive way for me. I liked the play on the title this time and how it differed from the past incarnation. There are some definite cannon fodder in the group, but that could be a surprise twist possibly if they are not. I really enjoyed this issue a lot. The art was a little messy at times, but it worked in many other respects for the story being told. This was a title that I wasn't sure about, even though I loved the previous incarnation, but this first issue hooked me.

SHIELD #1 - I would give this a borrow. I enjoyed reading the story and seeing the TV team being introduced into the Marvel U that were not part of it before, but ultimately for me the issue's story was not overly memorable and not something that hooked me into having to read more. I really enjoyed how Coulson played the whole thing and the trick to it all, but I could only see myself continuing to read this if someone I knew was getting it and I could borrow it to enjoy for a bit...hence my rating.
  • Options

@Adam_Murdough‌ By the way, Gail Simone just posted this to her Tumblr about the Secret Six delay:

Okay, we did have a delay. A key member of the creative team had a personal emergency that was unavoidable and made work slow down considerably. Rather than do a fill-in on the second issue, DC kindly did something they don’t usually do and gave the book a little push back to next week so that the emergency would be resolved.

Everyone is sad, it’s our intention to make a very special book. All I can tell you is, there is SO MUCH FUN STUFF COMING.

Also, there will be TWO issues of Secret Six in February, I believe, and then we go back to a monthly schedule.
    THANK YOU, Ian. It's a huge relief to know that the dreaded "creative differences" between writer and editor(s) aren't to blame for the delay. This is a book that I really want to last long enough to improve.

Also: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

• Options

And by the way, the App extra is totally worth it this episode: not only will you get serenaded by the Geeks, but you'll learn more about @Pants‌ flatulence!

Well in that case it is time to get an app for us lowly Android users. :)
  • Options
    Dan_in_WI said:

It's available, but only through the Amazon store. You can't get it via Google Play unfortunately.

• Options
    Dan_in_WI said:

@Dan_in_WI The Amazon App for Andoid has App Downloads built into it now. So as long as you have the box for Unknown Sources checked in your Security setting, you'll be good to go to install it from Amazon!
  • Options
    DaniDani Posts: 5
    I wanted to drop by and say thank you to everyone who has bought a Jamie's Avengers t-shirt. You are all awesome.

Second, I had no clue that Pant's was recording everything. I should have known better.
  • Options
    @Adam_Murdough how are you cataloging your collection? I've heard you mention on two occasions now. Are you using a database software, excel, or another method?
  • Options
    If I had to guess it would be pad and paper for which Adam is using to catalogue his collection.
  • Options

Dan_in_WI said:

It's available, but only through the Amazon store. You can't get it via Google Play unfortunately.

Okay I didn't know an Android app existed. I got it last night a played a bit with it. Where do I find the exclusive audio? The "extras" part of the app is empty.

• Options
    Listen, or start listening, to a regular episode. Click/tap the menu button. "Extras" is an option there and tap it. It then should start to automatically play the extra recording which I believe is usually pre-show preparation talk and goofing around. The screen should be fairly blank at this point, but if you tap it you should see the recording progressing along a bar at the bottom with the amount of time at the end of the bar on the right that the "extras" part of that episode is.

Hope this helps. It was a little confusing for me at first too, a couple or so weeks ago.
  • Options
    compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150

Was trying not to laugh too loud while sitting in my cube while listening to this. LOVE the extras!
  • Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    I really enjoyed this episode. I haven't read any of these comics, and probably won't, but I enjoyed hearing y'all talk about them.

Bravo.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Let's see...
    I read only 2 of the three comics. Secret Six didn't come in my shipment this month, either because of the delay OR I didn't order it. Heh-heh...
    SHIELD #1 - BUY! I also read number two and I'm still diggin' it. I just love the Coulson moments! I need me some more May, though.
    Star Trek/Planet of the Apes #1 -BUY! Darn it! I now wish I had ordered the 2nd issue. Yes, it was a bit ST heavy, but there had to be some build up to get the whole Enterprise into the Apes' future. I guess the Sulu/Uhura mission could've been trimmed down a bit.
  • Options
    CarlICarlI Posts: 5
    More Apes in the second issue. Taylor looks a little wonky, IMO. Good issue, though. It appears he is going to be a bit of a pain in the butt for everybody involved. :)