Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Crisis Tapes Talkback - Episode 11: Crisis on Infinite Earths #1, Part 2

Adam_MurdoughAdam_Murdough Posts: 506
edited February 2015 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
Faster than a speeding shadow-demon, Peter and Adam return with their thoughts and observations concerning the second half of Crisis #1. Thrill to the summoning of the Monitor's first team of champions from two-or-so Earths--then sit back and enjoy your hosts' 'draft analysis'! (3:00:51)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Three more Crisis hours to make this day go faster? Is it my birthday again?!?!!
  • Options
    A welcome paradox, thanks for the quick turnaround guys! :) I'm still in the middle of listening to the episode, but wanted to add a few initial replies. Thanks also for your reply to my post on the last ep...I think all of those ideas you discussed on the timing of addressing the post-Crisis and crossover/tangential issues makes sense - the later publication of the novelization for instance allowed Marv Wolfman the ability to revisit aspects of the story between the pages of what was originally published in '85 and insert almost a whole new story with the Flash as the central character throughout the series instead of just issue 8. As a "Crisis-kid" myself, I can appreciate the distinction.

I also wanted to give a response to the question Derick asked about which writer/artist Dick Giordano asked to work on what would ultimately become Crisis, because I remember hearing about this years ago and was intrigued by the possibilities of what may have been if this developed in another way. The following is a post from John Byrne's website FAQ page...

Was JB once asked to write CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS?
    I have read that JB was asked to do the original 80s CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS miniseries. Is this true?

Some time in the early 1980s -- I can't pinpoint the exact date, but I do recall that I was attending a convention in Atlanta -- DC's then-EiC Dick Giordano approached me about writing and drawing something that had the working title "The History of the DC Universe". This was proposed as a 12 issue "maxi-series" which would use the first 11 issues to lay out all the established DC lore, doing the best that could be done to shuffle all the conflicting details into some kind of cohesive whole, Then, in the 12th issue, everything would "blow up" due to some terrible cosmic catastrophe, and the next month all the DC books would "restart" with first issues.

As it happened, I was having dinner with Dick, Frank Miller and Frank's then-girlfriend Laurie Sutton, when Dick made the offer, and Frank was quick to say I would have to be crazy to accept such a project. I agreed -- but in any case, acceptance was unlikely since, as I told Dick, my knowledge of the history of the DCU was not as extensive as of the Marvel Universe. There were, in fact, huge tracts of DC lore (such as the Legion of Superheroes) about which I knew almost nothing.

So I passed on the project, and over the next couple of years it floated around, mutating as it went, until it became CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS. (12/28/2004)
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    edited February 2015
    According to George Perez's twitter: Crisis now available in digital format for 1st time.

Both Perez and Wolfman are on Twitter. Send them a link guys. I think they'd be flattered at your efforts.
  • Options
    Hey guys, I left the trivia question you mentioned in part II.

The answer to the first (writer/artist) is John Byrne. If you check around his forum, he mentions the story every so often. (I'd ask him about it, but I am not allowed to post there anymore.)

The answer to the question regarding the original artist is Gil Kane. Before Crisis got its name (it may have been called DC Universe: Crisis at the time), Gil Kane was announced. It was done in the context that he would be drawing DC Comics 50th anniversary event. Not sure why he was dropped for George Perez. I can't recall if it was announce, in print, in Dick Giordano's Meanwhile . . . column or in a fanzine like Amazing Heroes.
  • Options
    Didn't see DMHaight's post above. That's the post/story from John Byrne's web site I was referring to! Thanks for the catch!
  • Options
    Now, if someone can help me track down the announcement regarding Gil Kane, I would be appreciative. I would think it would be in a Meanwhile . . . column in 1982 or so. (It was a very early iteration, not quite "Crisis" by that point. It may have even been called The History of the DC Universe at that time.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    I'm going by the footnotes to Comic book legends 123 which mentions "Dick Giordano’s “Meanwhile…” column, appearing in comics released in late 1982 mention a “…maxi-series that will attempt to more neatly define the DC Universe in an exciting adventure yarn that will span 12 issues.”
    This is from Saga of the Swamp Thing #10 cover dated Feb 83 which would have been on the stands in "late '82":

Writers are Marv Wolfman and Len Wein, the researcher Peter Sanderson is mentionned but no artists?

Then in SOST #25 cover dated June '84 we have this column:
    image.

Bob Greenberger gets a mention but no creator team.

Complete speculation on my part but I wonder if the mention of Gil Kane in the above paragraph about the Sword of the Atom series, and the lack of creators in the bottom paragraph may gave led to the rumour?? I can find no mentions in the Meanwhile columns between the above two dates.
  • Options
    JaxUr said:

According to George Perez's twitter: Crisis now available in digital format for 1st time.

Both Perez and Wolfman are on Twitter. Send them a link guys. I think they'd be flattered at your efforts.
    Comixology has the collection for $29.99. You can also get all 12 issues in single form for a combined $21.88 for a savings of just over $8.

Have they ever offered them at 99 cents in the past? Or will they ever?
  • Options
    Since he was mentioned in the episode, here, have some Captain Linger to brighten your day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apJUkwgyTcA
  • Options
    Why bring Solivar? Duh. Talking apes sell comics.
  • Options
    Why Blue Beetle as opposed to the other Charlton heroes? While my Solivar comment is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, Blue Beetle was most likely due to him being the most recognizable of the Charlton stable. He had a history before Charlton, after all, including a radio show in the early ’40s.
  • Options
    Caliban: thanks for the assist. (I also really wish someone would collect the Meanwhile . . . columns!) I'm not sure if the announcement was in a Meanwhile . . . column, a fanzine (back then, I only read Amazing Heroes and Comics Buyer's Guide), or some other publication. I do recall two things for sure - (a) I read about years after the announcement was made, and well after Crisis ended, but am sure that the announcement was in a publication published well before Crisis and (b) it was Gil Kane drawing DC's 50th anniversary event. It wasn't Sword of the Atom.

I remember thinking that it was odd that DC would have announced Gil Kane when George Perez was drawing at least New Teen Titans at the time and was clearly, with John Byrne, the industries hottest artist (Walt Simonson hadn't exploded with Thor and Frank Miller wasn't the type of artist to draw such a big crossover.)

If anyone else can help - please do!! I'd love to find out where I read it.
  • Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    I've just downloaded all the episodes so I can binge listen to them
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I'm going to be reading the Crisis issues as your in-depth discussions appear. Here are a couple thoughts on issue #2:

The inclusion of Anthro (first boy) is interesting in light of Kamandi's (last boy) appearance a few pages later. What's more intriguing to me now is how such a rather obscure character like Anthro is given the spotlight. I liked how the series consistently gave these lesser characters nice moments to highlight the breadth of the DCU. I wish that DC and Marvel were able to expand their sales to include more superhero characters like cavemen, cowboys, & Atlantean wizards.

Younger CGS listeners may have no knowledge of the Flash's trial that's mentioned. I never read this long story by Cary Bates but I do recall people talking about how interminable it was at the time. I always thought that some fans were ready for Wally to pick up the mantle after the negative reaction to that storyline. I read an interview with Bates online where he discussed that he was told about a year before Crisis that Barry would be killed off. He also said that if the Crisis hadn't come, Barry would like have become a fugitive from justice and eventually joined his own rogues gallery. (http://speedforce.org/2011/05/interview-cary-bates2/)

The Batman/Joker scene (though brief) was always one of my favorite moments in the series. It nicely encapsulates their relationship over the decades. More importantly, they each display a sense of fear and panic that's not often evident in their characterizations.

As I re-read the series, I'm struck by how much I preferred the superheroes in the pre-grim and gritty era sparked by Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns.

Does anyone know what the "fight" with Dr. Canus was that Kamandi refers to?

Overall, I am a fan of Crisis and what it accomplished at the time. However, in retrospect I believe Wolfman's plan to streamline the DCU was doomed to fail. Yes, the Superman mythos (for example) may have been overstuffed but I did quickly come to miss all that had been swept away. For more than a decade DC tried to unsuccsesfully revamp Supergirl when many readers wanted Kara Zor-El back. It seems that eventually everyone who died came back.

Who doesn't want a DCU where a superdog named Krypto wears a cape?

FYI: There is a Crisis entry in the newly published encyclopedia "Comics Through Time" (vol. 3).
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited February 2015

JaxUr said:

Comixology has the collection for $29.99. You can also get all 12 issues in single form for a combined $21.88 for a savings of just over $8.

Not that I remember, but I'll make sure to let you know if they do! B-)
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    edited February 2015
    Dawnstar: Well, according to both Comic Book DB and Wikipedia, Dawnstar was created by artist Mike Grell and writer Paul Levitz.
    http://www.comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=4097
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawnstar
    The "DC Guide" gives James Sherman the design credit
    http://www.dcuguide.com/who.php?name=dawnstar
    Apparently, James Sherman did do the interior pencils on Superboy 226, but Grell did the cover, so....(???) So, I'm a bit confused, but why would both Wikipedia and Comic DB and a few other sites including Comic Vine, say that Grell is the co-creator, not Sherman?
  • Options
    Strange. I don't remember traveling to Earth 2. It must be though, because on the Earth we've been on we don't get TWO Crisis Tapes in less than a month. Thanks, guys!!
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited February 2015
    Dawnstar was created by Paul Levitz and Mike Grell. Period. When Paul took over as writer, Grell was the artist. Paul asked Grell to come up with a character he'd like to draw, and Grell came back with a sketch of Dawnstar. Paul then came up with her backstory and powers, etc. But Grell left the book before Dawnstar showed up in the story, though he was still doing covers.

Sherman may have penciled her first story before Grell drew the cover for that issue, I'm not sure. But he worked off of Grell's drawing either way. Some people assume that since Sherman drew the first story, he must have co-created her, but that's not the case, according to Paul.
  • Options
    Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I'm at work and can't read through all the past comment threads. My favorite parts of the episodes are when Murd quotes from his thesis. Has it been shared online? Is Murd willing to share it online? If so, I'd like to read it.
  • Options
    You talked about Crisis kids, well i'm going to be a Crisis tape kid, i ain't read this ground breaking series yet, when you stated this podcast back in 09 i decided to read along with guys , today i read my first crisis issues
  • Options
    lynndavid said:

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I'm at work and can't read through all the past comment threads. My favorite parts of the episodes are when Murd quotes from his thesis. Has it been shared online? Is Murd willing to share it online? If so, I'd like to read it.

Murd's thesis can be found via this BGSU link:

http://maurice.bgsu.edu/record=b2814824~S9
  • Options
    mbatzmbatz Posts: 63
    another gem:) Thx guys..I'm rereading Crisis as these eps come out.. I really don't know much about DC continuity ,, - I'm learning more every year- The first time I read Crisis (3 years ago) I was soo lost - I mean i could follow it plainly but I really did not at all get the impact and import of the story ( i didn't "GET" it) , I missed all the minutiae so it's fascinating for me to hear about all this lore and speculation...makes my revisit MUCH more fulfilling:)
  • Options
    Thanks, JaxUr!
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    JaxUr said:

lynndavid said:

Murd's thesis can be found via this BGSU link:

http://maurice.bgsu.edu/record=b2814824~S9

Holy crap! I didn't realize it was accessible.
  • Options
    lynndavid said:

Thanks, JaxUr!

Here's a link to BGSU's Browne Popular Culture Library FYI:

http://www.bgsu.edu/library/pcl.html
  • Options
    This was my first time listening to a Crisis Tapes episode. I'm still not done listening. Crap, now I'm wondering if I ever bought the Absolute Edition of this to read again?

It was mentioned via email or a posting about people reminiscing about the series when it first came out. I remember reading that first issue, January of 1985, right? My Dad had to drive on in to San Francisco and I tagged along and somehow talked him in to stopping beforehand so I could buy some comics (not sure which store though). So while my Dad did his business, I clearly remember being parked in the station wagon around the piers of SF reading the first issue while Tears for Fear's "Shout" played on the radio. So 1985!!! :)
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited March 2015

JaxUr said:

fredzilla said:

JaxUr said:

Not that I remember, but I'll make sure to let you know if they do! B-)
    Don't ever say I don't make good on my promises! Crisis on Infinite Earths for $0.99 an issue (issue #1 FREE!) is part of the most recent Flash sale.

• Options
    ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    edited March 2015
    Great work, gentlemen. I listened on my commute this time, but I'm surely going back for a second listen while I read along with you.
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    I'm really enjoying this. Thanks Adam and Peter!