Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1537 Talkback - Previews

Be it ever so humble, there's no catalog like Previews! We go through the February catalog for items shipping starting in April.

Listen to the show!

Comments

• Options
    Just listened to the episode on the way into work, and I have some thoughts on two topics brought up. First up, IDW publishing Disney comics instead of Marvel:

This actually doesn't surprise me much, as Marvel even balked on doing Big Hero 6 comics; the manga is being put out by Yen Press, while the American comics and novels are being put out by Joe Books. I think that Disney is trying to use Marvel Comics exactly as intended when they bought them: to bring boys into the Disney fold. For anything that isn't action-packed, superhero related, or now Star Wars related, Disney is more than willing to let others publish that material.

My other point relates to Vision. @Adam_Murdough and @ShaneKelly weren't sure if he was in the new movie or not.

SPOILER SPACE

Yup, he's in Age of Ultron. And played by Paul Bettany, aka the voice of the J.A.R.V.I.S. AI! So I guess we know where they're planning to go with Vision in the movies. Here's a good look at what he'll look like in the film:

And finally, I know you were in a rush at the end of the episode, but if one of you guys could re-state the Off The Racks for the month here on the forums, it'd be appreciated!
  • Options

And finally, I know you were in a rush at the end of the episode, but if one of you guys could re-state the Off The Racks for the month here on the forums, it'd be appreciated!

Only too happy to oblige, Ian! OTR selections for April will be:
    Rebels #1 (Dark Horse)
    Wonder Woman '77 Special #1 (DC)
    Uncanny Inhumans #0 (Marvel)
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Wow, the skeleton crew (Murd and Shane) on the Previews episode. And you guys knocked it out the park lickety-split! Shane's confusion, mixing up the Revolutionary War and the Civil War was kinda funny. Oh, by the way, I thought Shane's recording volume was a bit low. Did anybody else experience that or was it just me? Also, like Shane even though February ordering time is usually a bit low, there was an awful lot of stuff to try this month. So, I'll be spending approximately the same amount I usually spend at DCBS.
  • Options
    I'm still debating whether to get the inevitable New 52 Future's End Omnibus that apparently leads up to Convergence. I'm buying Earth 2: World's End in single issue form (I'm just more a fan of the parallel Earth's than the New 52 Earth Zero).

I agree that the creative teams and stories for Convergence looked cool & DCBS really did have a spectacular price for the bundle, but I looked at my wall full of long boxes and asked myself where I was going to put all these 2 issue mini-series. In the end, it looks like the core 8 (or is it 9 issues with #0?) Convergence series will lead directly into the newly Divergent DCU where it looks like we'll have stories set on various Earth's as recently laid out by Grant Morrison in the Multiversity Guidebook. So I might save myself space by waiting to see what kind of trades or omnibus editions will be offered of all the Convergence material and just buy them so I can store them on my bookshelves instead of in long boxes.

Similarly, I noticed on the DCBS website that they are already offering Secret Wars #1 by Marvel (with a ton of variously priced variants) even though it doesn't appear yet in the Marvel catalog! Just something you Marvel buyers might want to be aware of. I will be taking the same path with Secret Wars that I'm taking with the DC events and be buying them in trades. My days of long box filling will have to consist mostly of smaller press material as "the Big Two" become more bookshelf reading.
  • Options
    Good episode, I dropped you guys a voice mail about a few books I thought worth mentioning. The bonus of the fast episode is you guys didn't mention anything in the back of the book I had to ad to my order thus upping the $ I have to drop for this order
  • Options
    I also wanted to post this quote from Matt Hawkins Facebook regarding Tithe and Murd's comment about it possibly being anti-religion. I consider Matt a friend and I have never felt that he attacks religion. His posts are thoughtful and logical as it pertains to people's beliefs and I am sure he doesn't think any less of me because I go to church every Sunday and strive to be strong in my faith.

"Getting asked this in a lot of interviews and people seem to want to know; to be clear, The Tithe is not an attack on religion. This isn't my atheist manifesto. The two main FBI guys, one is an atheist the other is a Baptist Christian. It's not the central theme of the story, it's just part of their character background. Not giving much away, this much is in the first few pages, but the churches that are being robbed were already under FBI scrutiny for fraud. The hacker group targeted them because they hacked the list from the FBI.

If you follow my feeds you know I actually bag on condescending atheists and the difference between these two on their religious stance is more a source of amusement than anything.

So if you're looking for a deep philosophical atheist attack on religion, sorry, I don't think I'll ever do that. If you want to read a fun heist story where churches are being robbed as the central plot theme then check it out."
  • Options
    One last thing I will mention about this episode in regards to Silver Surfer 11. Talking to Dan Slott about Silver Surfer at SDCC 2014 all he kept saying was "Wait for issue 11, wait for issue 11, Hey Mark Brooks (who was sitting two people down from him) make sure you check out issue 11. It is wild, crazy and something never done before in comics." I actually had forgotten all about it as I don't read Surfer because Mike Allred art makes it unreadable for me. So I may check it out, just to see what had him so manic!
  • Options

I also wanted to post this quote from Matt Hawkins Facebook regarding Tithe and Murd's comment about it possibly being anti-religion. I consider Matt a friend and I have never felt that he attacks religion. His posts are thoughtful and logical as it pertains to people's beliefs and I am sure he doesn't think any less of me because I go to church every Sunday and strive to be strong in my faith.

"Getting asked this in a lot of interviews and people seem to want to know; to be clear, The Tithe is not an attack on religion. This isn't my atheist manifesto. The two main FBI guys, one is an atheist the other is a Baptist Christian. It's not the central theme of the story, it's just part of their character background. Not giving much away, this much is in the first few pages, but the churches that are being robbed were already under FBI scrutiny for fraud. The hacker group targeted them because they hacked the list from the FBI.

If you follow my feeds you know I actually bag on condescending atheists and the difference between these two on their religious stance is more a source of amusement than anything.

So if you're looking for a deep philosophical atheist attack on religion, sorry, I don't think I'll ever do that. If you want to read a fun heist story where churches are being robbed as the central plot theme then check it out."

Ah, blessed reassurance! Thanks for that, Jace; I'll definitely give The Tithe a try.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    alienal said:

I thought Shane's recording volume was a bit low. Did anybody else experience that or was it just me?

No, it wasn't just you. Still another fun tour through Previews nonetheless.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited February 2015
    Sigh. The Garbage Pail Kids comic once again is unceremoniously dismissed. The CGS audience wants to know when will it be an off the rack pick?!?! ;)

Seriously, though, I enjoyed the first one. Anyone who had fun with the cards as a kid and/or enjoys indie comics should check the GPK comics out.

Convergence: Some of the one-shots sound interesting but I'm not sure I'm willing to invest in the actual mini.

Marvel: Besides my usual haul I'll be getting Thanos: The Infinity Relativity. It's Starlin, it's cosmic, it's a no brainer. Oh, how I want the King-Size Kirby HC!