Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1538 Talkback - Spotlight on SHAZAM! in the Golden Age, Part One

2»

Comments

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

rebis said:

Are GA Captain Marvel & Billy Batson the same person or 2 different people?
    I like to think of them as the same. However, when you consider the transformation to an adult and the abilities of the members of Cap's pantheon they will act like 2 very different people. A good example would be Hickman's run on FF and how he handled the relationship between Franklin Richards the child and FR the time travelling adult. The same individual coming from two very different places.

I took them as being the same person, just one being not only older, but imbued with the wisdom of Solomon, etc., etc., which would certainly have an effect on one's personality. So Cap is Billy, but also something more than Billy would be if he simply grew up.
    What Neal said.
  • Options
    rebis said:

rebis said:

I like to think of them as the same. However, when you consider the transformation to an adult and the abilities of the members of Cap's pantheon they will act like 2 very different people. A good example would be Hickman's run on FF and how he handled the relationship between Franklin Richards the child and FR the time travelling adult. The same individual coming from two very different places.

I took them as being the same person, just one being not only older, but imbued with the wisdom of Solomon, etc., etc., which would certainly have an effect on one's personality. So Cap is Billy, but also something more than Billy would be if he simply grew up.
    What Neal said.
    It's Eric, actually. The N stands for “Nolen-”. But, yeah, I've always seen it that way from back when I first read the Shazam! 100-Page Super Spectaculars as a kid (before the TV show).
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    I'm in the midst of listening. I'm not that big of a CM/Shazam fan but I'm enjoying it. It's mostly because of Murd's enthusiasm and Chris's questions, I think. I'm also loving the Fawcett comics innovations that were mentioned. Also, how Beck didn't really like realistic art. Interesting in that today's realistic-look is now thought of as the standard. I don't mind Beck's art and I guess that's why I can like Allred's and Oeming's art styles.
    Well, I'll keep on listening....
  • Options

rebis said:

rebis said:

What Neal said.
    It's Eric, actually. The N stands for “Nolen-”. But, yeah, I've always seen it that way from back when I first read the Shazam! 100-Page Super Spectaculars as a kid (before the TV show).
    What Eric said! My apologize.

What you mentioned is why I just can't buy into the current "super-billy" take on the character.
  • Options
    Great stuff, gentlemen.

It is tougher than the Batman and Superman volumes to find but, if you get a chance, track down the SHAZAM! FROM THE 40s TO THE 70s book for more Golden Age.

http://www.amazon.com/Shazam-Seventies-E-Nelson-Bridwell/dp/0517531275
  • Options

Great stuff, gentlemen.

It is tougher than the Batman and Superman volumes to find but, if you get a chance, track down the SHAZAM! FROM THE 40s TO THE 70s book for more Golden Age.

Better yet, get the oversized hardcover reprint of the Monster Society of Evil serialized saga. It was limited to 3000 copies, but the guy who owned the comic shop I worked at had one, which is how I first read the story back in the early ’90s.

• Options
    edited February 2015

Great stuff, gentlemen.

Better yet, get the oversized hardcover reprint of the Monster Society of Evil serialized saga. It was limited to 3000 copies, but the guy who owned the comic shop I worked at had one, which is how I first read the story back in the early ’90s.

Wasn't that to be reprinted? Is this still in the works?
  • Options
    rebis said:

Great stuff, gentlemen.

The 1989 hardcover was done by American Nostalgia Library. DC announced they were going to reprint it back in 2009, but then they delayed it, and finally cancelled it. Maybe they'll try again once the movie comes out, but I think that will be the only chance it'll have.
  • Options

rebis said:

Great stuff, gentlemen.

The 1989 hardcover was done by American Nostalgia Library. DC announced they were going to reprint it back in 2009, but then they delayed it, and finally cancelled it. Maybe they'll try again once the movie comes out, but I think that will be the only chance it'll have.
    Thanks for the info.
    I had pre-ordered the reprint and, now that mentioned it, remember getting the message from Amazon that the book had been cancelled.
    Here's to hoping DC tries again.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited February 2015
    Just finished this installment of another well-done Spotlight episode. Well done guys, especially Adam! Lot's of research and passion for this character paid off in spades to make an engaging episode about a character I never quite got into that much.

As for the mystery of who flew first, Superman or Captain Marvel, that may already be settled.

The Fleischer cartoons were originally responsible for giving Superman flight. When the Fleischers started work on the cartoon series, the comic book version of Superman could only leap from place to place, "able to leap tall buildings in a single bound" up to 1/8 of a mile. After seeing the leaping fully animated, the Fleischers deemed it "silly" and asked Action Comics permission to have him fly instead; AC agreed and wrote the flight ability into the comics from around issue #65 of Action Comics which came out in 1943.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

They've never been released officially on DVD and I have never even seen them from bootleg DVD dealers at cons (I always ask), but you can find a lot of them on YouTube.

I have a 30-minute VHS tape they released back in 1989, which is how Adam would prefer to watch it anyway. I know they released at least a couple of tapes, but I don't know if they ever released every episode.
    I remember renting that from my local video store one time in high school or college. There may have even been a second one.

rebis said:

Yeah, that's probably the best way to reconcile the various interpretations, and why Cap and Billy always referred to each other as separate people. And I kind of like that version better than the "Freaky Friday but with super powers and there's only one person" version modern writers tend to favor. Jeff Smith tried to bring that back in his Monster Society of Evil mini-series, but by the time that was spun-off into the Johnny DC series Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam (I still love and miss that book, btw), it was back to Freaky Friday again.

Great stuff, gentlemen.

My LCS back in the day had that giant Monster Society book. I always wanted it but could never pull together the funds. I used to look at it a lot in the store, though, and man that was a good-looking book.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    I was very lucky to buy the Monster Society book on Ebay several years ago for a most affordable price (less than $100). I think it may have been delayed by DC for some of the Japanese stereotyping.

I do hope a reprint becomes available. I think the Monster Society was the first supervillain team in comics. Also, multi-issue sagas were very rare at the time.
  • Options
    JaxUr said:

I was very lucky to buy the Monster Society book on Ebay several years ago for a most affordable price (less than $100). I think it may have been delayed by DC for some of the Japanese stereotyping.

I do hope a reprint becomes available. I think the Monster Society was the first supervillain team in comics. Also, multi-issue sagas were very rare at the time.

I bought it when it came out, since I worked at a shop at the time and was able to get it for cost. It's scanned from original pages with 1989 technology, but still a GREAT book.

• Options

rebis said:

Great stuff, gentlemen.

DC was going to reprint it, about the time of Jeff Smith's version, if I recall correctly... I have the book, and let's just say there's some ... er... politically non-correct representations of Japanese, Blacks, etc. I don't see ANY way DC will reprint these stories. It's awesome, but contains about two years worth of unflattering racial caricatures.
  • Options

Concerning the Fred Mac Murray theory, the prevailing theory is that he was modeled after Max Schmelling... German boxer. I read about this in an issue of Alter Ego's FCA.

I believe there are conflicting accounts from C.C. Beck, himself about this ( as in, he's admitted to both in interviews) , but LOOK at him!
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

rebis said:

Great stuff, gentlemen.

DC was going to reprint it, about the time of Jeff Smith's version, if I recall correctly... I have the book, and let's just say there's some ... er... politically non-correct representations of Japanese, Blacks, etc. I don't see ANY way DC will reprint these stories. It's awesome, but contains about two years worth of unflattering racial caricatures.
    Oh, I know, I've read the story, and I seem to remember someone at DC giving that as a reason they canceled their reprinting, but I'm not sure about that—it may just have been the speculation as to the reason.
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

Concerning the Fred Mac Murray theory, the prevailing theory is that he was modeled after Max Schmelling... German boxer. I read about this in an issue of Alter Ego's FCA.

I believe there are conflicting accounts from C.C. Beck, himself about this ( as in, he's admitted to both in interviews) , but LOOK at him!

Alter Ego #64 for anyone interested. And I'm not sure I'd call it the prevailing theory, just something else to throw into the pot of speculation.
  • Options

Tonebone said:

rebis said:

Great stuff, gentlemen.

Oh, I know, I've read the story, and I seem to remember someone at DC giving that as a reason they canceled their reprinting, but I'm not sure about that—it may just have been the speculation as to the reason.
    They didn't have a problem reprinting their other 40's books which had a lot of similar stuff. Then again, it wasn't NEARLY as bad as Timely depictions of minorities. I cringe when I read some of their stuff. Whitewash Jones? Good Lord, it makes Steppen Fetchit look like Malcom X.
  • Options
    I know this is just me, but I have a hard time with criticism of the deceased. It's not like they can debate the argument and grow from it.
    I'm of the mind that the work they produced should be embraced, with the caveat that we learn from it and try to do better by each other.
    I mean, hell. In 50-100 years people will look back on us and say, "Can you believe they used to ________ fill in the blank ________."
  • Options
    rebis said:

I know this is just me, but I have a hard time with criticism of the deceased. It's not like they can debate the argument and grow from it.
    I'm of the mind that the work they produced should be embraced, with the caveat that we learn from it and try to do better by each other.
    I mean, hell. In 50-100 years people will look back on us and say, "Can you believe they used to ________ fill in the blank ________."

Oh, I agree. Nothing infuriates me more than the "censored" Looney Toons" shorts.

But I still think that's why they didn't reprint it. At the time, the Jeff Smith Monster Society of Evil was being collected, and while it seemed like a good time to capitalize on its success, I think they imagined the audience of the Smith book (kids, libraries, etc.) picking up the golden age version, also, and not being as understanding of the context.
  • Options
    TrustyMutsiTrustyMutsi Posts: 161
    Captain Marvel is my favorite superhero, bar none. My dad's as well. The love for Cap must be in my genes :)

Gonna listen to this ASAP.
  • Options
    Bruce_RBruce_R Posts: 6
    Great job guys! I've read a lot of material on Captain Marvel and the gang, but I'm learning all kinds of great stuff here! Did I say great job?!