Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1540 Talkback - Spotlight on SHAZAM! in the Golden Age, Part Two

Lightning strikes twice, as we revisit the Forties adventures (1942-45) of the original Captain Marvel for a second helping of Big Red Cheese! Welcome Mary Marvel, Uncle Marvel, and Hoppy the Marvel Bunny to the growing Marvel Family! Tag along on Captain Marvel's 'Tour of Cities'! Boo-hiss at the introduction of bad guys like Ibac and Mr. Banjo! And meet the malevolent Mr. Mind, breakout star of the greatest multi-chapter saga of the Golden Age of Comics, 'The Monster Society of Evil'! (2:58:14)

Listen here.

Comments

• rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    One of my favorite covers ever!
  • Talking about Nippo from Nagasaki reminded me of "beloved" Stephen Colbert character, "Ching Chong Ding Dong."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sJcIYuHZZc
  • JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh0m3Nh1gHY

I totally accept Adam's comments on the Lt. Marvels. The old English major in me cannot resist picking a few nits now and then. This was another wonderful and informative episode. I just finished reading the Geoff Johns Shazam stories that ran in JLA. They are very strong. I like his take on Sivana as his evil nature leads to his physical deterioration. Even the decision to make Freddy Freeman a blonde was ok with me.

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    edited February 2015
    Re: Otto Binder, he once said that “Captain Marvel Saves the King” from Captain Marvel Adventures #9 was his first Captain Marvel story (not counting prose stories). That's not to say that it was necessarily the first one written by him to appear, though. It's entirely possible that a later written story showed up before CMA #9, as he wrote “...Saves the King” in December 1941.
    Uncle Marvel is featured in this 1981 cartoon from Filmation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QusXc9t5QnE
  • mbatzmbatz Posts: 63
    wow! that was outstanding:)
  • Blimey. That was just extraordinarily enjoyable. I've never actually read any Golden Age Captain Marvel, but I can't imagine it could live up to these descriptions...!
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Another great episode. About halfway through and loving it.

I had a thought though, @Adam_Murdough, you say Cap and Billy have a falling out in some of the issues, as they are different persona's. With Hulk not being created until 1962, and also having this two persons split, albeit not a voluntary change in most cases for Hulk. Is there any evidence to suggest maybe Captain Marvel played some role in Stan Lee and Jack Kirby creating that character? There are some similarities.
  • I have loved these last 2 Spotlight on SHAZAM. I have always been interested in the character but never knew much about him outside tv shows and Geoff Johns Shazam book in the New 52 (which I loved). Great show I really look forward to the others.
  • mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Spectacular as always. Is there a particular collection of these golden age stories that's worth investing in?
  • FlagwaverFlagwaver Posts: 140
    edited March 2015
    I really enjoyed these first two spotlights, especially since I was the one who added a ton of WHIZ and WOW covers to the ComicCollectorLive database and found out a little about what was on the insides. The mention of Mary's origin reminded me of one of the earliest comics I owned and desperately want to find again. I can't remember what book it was because it was coverless (yeah, one of those books) but it was from the mid-to-late '70s, and I'm thinking it had other stories in it, which makes me think World's Finest. All I remember is Captain Marvel and Junior flying to meet Mary at a mansion and them seeing the locket. I got the impression that Mary had amnesia about who she was, so it wouldn't have been a reprint of her origin story. When researching for the next spotlight episode, any help identifying this issue would be greatly appreciated.
    Ah! archive.org has collections of Fawcett and Captain Marvel Adventures for all of your golden age Billy Batson needs:

https://archive.org/details/fawcett-comics

https://archive.org/details/captainmarveladventures
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Nearly 6 hours of Shazam? I know nothing of this character and yet I'm extremely excited to listen to both episodes
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Still making my way through, but I'd like to say that not only is there indeed a Spy Smasher serial (made by Republic Pictures, the people who made the Captain Marvel serial and a million others), but it's also really good, and generally considered to be one of the best made. Great stunt work, the effects are pretty good, the plot makes (a sort of) sense, and the acting's even decent. You can watch the whole thing on the Cape Television channel on Roku... well worth checking out.

I prefer using Digital Comic Museum. It's a lot easier to navigate, and they don't post anything that isn't in the public domain.

Thanks for the tip. Here's the link for anyone else wanting these.

I'm having so much fun reading these. Makes me really hope Morrison's Thunderworld becomes a series because it has this same spirit.

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?cid=23
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    mphil said:

I prefer using Digital Comic Museum. It's a lot easier to navigate, and they don't post anything that isn't in the public domain.

Thanks for the tip. Here's the link for anyone else wanting these.

I'm having so much fun reading these. Makes me really hope Morrison's Thunderworld becomes a series because it has this same spirit.

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?cid=23
    Thanks!

• LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

And if you join the site, you can download the books in CBR format to read on the device of your choosing. I love the DCM, a true treasure trove of golden age delights!
    edited March 2015
    Spy Smasher (and an almost Captain Nazi) made a brief appearance on Justice League Unlimited :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITvbpsxWfak
  • JamfebJamfeb Posts: 24
    Another brilliant and informative episode. Well done! I could listen to Spotlight episodes all day.

"Fascist fauna" nice one Adam
  • This episode was MURDTASTIC!

• CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    edited March 2015
  • ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    edited March 2015
    Regarding the possible Mxyztplk influence on "The World of Largeness", Captain Marvel Adventures #35 was cover dated May of 1944 and hit the stands on March 31, 1944 according to Mike's Amazing World of Comics.

Mxyztplk made his first appearance in the Superman newspaper strip as early as February 23, 1944 in the Amarillo Globe (and on March 1, 1944 in most other places I could find. I'm not sure why Amarillo was ahead or if anywhere else was, too).

Mxyztplk would not appear in comics until Superman #30, cover dated September/October 1944 and released around July 5, 1944, again according to Mike's. So Mxy and "The World of Largeness" were being created at close to the same time, depending on how much lead time each publication needed.

Bat-Mite would not appear until Detective #267, cover dated May, 1959.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I realize it's in the next installment but at my LCS, for half price I purchased Showcase presents Shazam
  • Cap's "Tour of American Cities" may have been inspired by Windsor McCay's Little Nemo in Slumberland. In the early 1900's, Nemo and friends toured American cities, including New York, Chicago, Pittsburgh, etc. This was treated as an "event" in the newspaper, and was promoted heavily.
  • Nice job, Mr. Murdough! I thoroughly enjoyed this episode and the previous Shazam! spotlight.
  • SharkJumperSharkJumper Posts: 204
    edited March 2015
    What I liked about this episode was the spotlight on a character that doesn't always get the attention. I love podcasts that cover something in comics that the others don't. Thanks for that.

I also liked Murd's enthusiasm. I don't think there was a drop in the whole 2-3 hours. Such a goofy time for comic stories in the Golden Age but now I wants to seek them out because of Murd's energetic summaries..

So here is my contribution....

Back in 1994, 21 years ago, I was working officially for the San Diego Comic-Con as one of their photographers. I'm thankful that I got to cover a lot of Golden Age creator panels and meet the creators before they passed on a decade or so later. Sadly, I think we are quickly at the point where we won't have any more Golden Age panels with Golden Age creators anymore. But anyway, in 1994, I got to meet Chad Grothkopf, creator of Hoppy the Marvel Bunny/Captain Marvel Bunny!!

Grothkopf was the nicest person. He had just gotten back from San Miguel de Allende in the heart of Mexico, a mountain artist's retreat with an art university that attracted former U.S. G.I.s since the end of WWII. By luck, I had gone myself through my former school for two weeks the year before and we hit it off talking about it.

Grothkopf had long moved on from the comic industry and someone must have done some digging to find out where we was living then and bring him to Comic-Con. And, like many of the Golden Age creators, they were dumbfounded by the success in the 90s of all these funny books that they worked on 50 years earlier. And because of that, he was a humble man, not spoiled or jaded from growing up in the industry as a rock star or a hardened convention pro.

So, for the 24 years that I went to Comic-Con, Grothkopf was the nicest of all the creators I met. Not one of the big names of the Golden Age, you can find some of his other funny animal cartoons in some of the Timely books in the 1940s like Captain America Comics.

Here a couple photos from 1994 including him with Shelly Moldoff....

photo sd1994_chad_grothkopf1.jpg

photo sd1994_moldoff_grothkopf1_1.jpg
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Very nice! I never got to meet Grothkopf unfortunately. I'll be it was David Siegel who tracked him down and got him to the show. He was responsible for getting lots of those Golden Age guys to the show over the years.

Grothkopf also worked in animation for a time. In fact, he created the first animated cartoon specifically made for television, “Willie the Worm.” And actually he did more work for DC, which is where he started in comics, than he did for Marvel, but it was mostly for lesser known backups like “Radio Squad” and “Federal Men” He did do a couple of “Sandman” and “Johnny Quick” stories though.

He left comics in 1947, and mostly did television (animated) and print ad work after that. He drew the Howdy Doody newspaper strip in the early ’50s, and illustrated a few children’s books, and he came back to comics to do a little bit of work on Captain Carrot. Beyond that, I think he may have taught art somewhere.