Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1546 Talkback - The CGS Best of 2014 Awards Results Show

The weather may preempt them, travel plans may hinder them, conventional wisdom may reject them, but you just can't stop the CGS Best Of Awards! Here at last is the announcement of this year's award-winners, chosen by you, the CGS listeners, to represent comic books' best & brightest in the year 2014! Be there as the fateful envelopes are opened! (46:15)

Listen here.

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Previews!

Sorry, I had to do it. I'll probably do it again next year. And the next.

I'm a terrible person.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

I'm a terrible person.

I'm the one who clicked "agree." I don't think that at all but it was too easy.
    :D
    I “agree” with your “agree.”
    For the record, I have no problem with Fiona winning a Best Artist award. I think she's a fantastic penciler and colorist, and I'm a fan of her work. And I don't think what she does in the “inking” stage—which in her process is actually more like simply tightening and refining her pencils—is bad, it's just not what I would consider among the best in the inking field.

Like @Adam_Murdough said, it's becoming more and more difficult to make the distinctions as to what each artist is doing now that technology is changing the way artists work. The traditional assembly line approach will be around for several years to come, but it is in a transition stage.
  • I too agree with nweathington about Fiona's inclusion in the Inker category. Imo it should be limited to those that have to interpret another person's pencils not their own.

I too agree with nweathington about Fiona's inclusion in the Inker category. Imo it should be limited to those that have to interpret another person's pencils not their own.

While that would make choosing nominees for the category much simpler, I find the inkers I like best are often artists who ink their own pencils. And often they are doing very loose pencils with most of the drawing done in the inking.

I would suggest three categories: Best Penciler (for those who only pencil); Best Inker (for those who only ink someone else’s pencils); and Best Artist (for those who ink their own work).

Or if you want to make it simpler still, two categories: Best Artist (for those who ink their own work) and Best Art Team (for the best penciler/inker pairing). But I would prefer to see those remain separate categories, and not combined into a single, Best Artist/Art Team as some award ceremonies have done.
  • BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    Great fun, voting for my favorites and then (whilst checking back to my ballot) hearing the winners! Strangely enough, I especially liked hearing all the tied victories, as it made me feel like my one little vote really did affect DESTINY… haha :)
  • I have to say that I am disappointed with Silver Surfer winning so many categories. It would be nice to have a little more diversity and bring attention to other well deserving categories. Likewise hearing Saga, Saga, Sage and Fiona Staples name over and over is getting a little tiresome. C'est La vie I suppose. Maybe next year a book or creator I nominate will actually make it to the final vote.
  • BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377

Maybe next year a book or creator I nominate will actually make it to the final vote.

Keep on truckin', @JaceTheComicSource. I feel your pain. For example, I've never been a Jason Aaron fan, and during his entire SCALPED run, it felt like I could not go one single day without one of my friends praising that damned title to me. Lol And of course the world in general considers it golden, too. But… it just doesn't do it for me.

What titles do you think deserved to win CGS' Best of 2014 love?
  • I actually did a Best of 2014 on my YouTube channel. You can check out the episode here. https://youtube.com/watch?v=rWBVBrJ-6qE

I'll just mention a few titles that stood out for in in 2014;

Clone
    Letter 44
    C.O.W.L.
    A Voice in the Dark
    Moon Knight
    Harbinger
    Flash
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I have to say that I am disappointed with Silver Surfer winning so many categories. It would be nice to have a little more diversity and bring attention to other well deserving categories. Likewise hearing Saga, Saga, Sage and Fiona Staples name over and over is getting a little tiresome. C'est La vie I suppose. Maybe next year a book or creator I nominate will actually make it to the final vote.

It hasn't changed since back when I participated in the Awards show. One of my nominees was received by voters as this curveball from nowhere.

M
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I actually did a Best of 2014 on my YouTube channel. You can check out the episode here. https://youtube.com/watch?v=rWBVBrJ-6qE

I'll just mention a few titles that stood out for in in 2014;

Clone
    Letter 44
    C.O.W.L.
    A Voice in the Dark
    Moon Knight
    Harbinger
    Flash

This is from a longtime Moon Knight fan; I'm on the bubble to drop this title. It just seems to be going nowhere...slowly.

M
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Just curious. Doesn't affect my listening too much but are you guys going to bleep out the swear words now? Really only affects Uncle Sal visits I guess.
  • For next year, Pants should come up with a sound-clip of a drum roll followed by the sound of an envelope tearing. An Ed McMahon background guffaw would be excellent too.

I note all the other major awards shows have shorthand names to describe their awards. You know, like, the Oscars, or The Emmys, or the Tonys. What are CGS awards referred to as? The Geekies, perhaps? ("And the Geekie for 'Breakthrough Talent' goes to ... ") :-)
  • SharkJumperSharkJumper Posts: 204

What are CGS awards referred to as? The Geekies, perhaps? ("And the Geekie for 'Breakthrough Talent' goes to ... ") :-)

How about.....The Jamies??
  • SharkJumperSharkJumper Posts: 204
    Matt said:

It hasn't changed since back when I participated in the Awards show. One of my nominees was received by voters as this curveball from nowhere.

That was the Roger Stern nominee, right? I remember that one and loved it that an old school writer was getting some love. That and I had read some recent Stern on a Captain America mini series and thought this guy could still tell a good story.
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030

Just curious. Doesn't affect my listening too much but are you guys going to bleep out the swear words now? Really only affects Uncle Sal visits I guess.

Just listened to John Byrne ep. Murd dropping "star-fucker" settled it. Nevermind :)
  • Just curious. Doesn't affect my listening too much but are you guys going to bleep out the swear words now? Really only affects Uncle Sal visits I guess.

Pants did it this once because of the remark I made in the episode about tape-lag and control-room censorship, and he thought (correctly, I think) that it'd be funny to actually do what I was talking about. It's definitely not going to become a matter of CGS policy.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

Pants did it this once because of the remark I made in the episode about tape-lag and control-room censorship, and he thought (correctly, I think) that it'd be funny to actually do what I was talking about. It's definitely not going to become a matter of CGS policy.
    Yeah, I got the joke.

• alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Okay, I'm listening to this episode and....that was fun! Well, I got 6 out of 16! Not bad for a person who hasn't been reading Silver Surfer or Saga. Haha!